New Westfield

chrisbin

The 1.8T engine in my TT was reasonably powerfull and with a lot of boost gave good torque but got very hot, was unreliable and sounded like a bag of old nails.  It's also very heavy . . . surely this is a wind up ?? Westfield wouldn't seriously be looking to use this engine ??

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisbin

• gadrego

• peterg

• samcooke

TTS are working on a twin sprocket setup with 2 530 chains - will see if we can fit it on ours......should be a bit more reliable with that

that depends on what the 'problem' actually is - personally I'm not convinced you have too much power for this application and need a second chain/sprocket but I could be wrong...... ;)

BTW: DJ Racecars have now fitted their geardrive system to Ian Chards Firehawk 'Busa engined hillclimb car and that is now flying!! - it used to have chain problems but this solution seems to be working very well so you might want to have a word with them here

PS: I recently heard that Force change the chains on their twin 'busa engined SR8 car after every meeting  :0

Well another xtr brand of car.

I have seen the XTR3 (or whatever its going to be called) in the flesh and I must say its going to be very interesting.

I would like to drive the CEC version of the xtr back to back with our XTR2.  Its interesting that the new car is quicker even when carrying an extra 100 kilos of engine and gearbox.  I guess this is the wider powerband and better lowdown torque from the turbo.

As for the 1.8T VAG engine - they are not the nicest sounding of engines but they are very strong and tunable.  The top 40 listings for laptimes round Bedford autodrome show 2 vw golfs being very close to the top - a Mk1 and Mk2 golf both runing the same 20v 1.8T engine tuned to approx 440bhp.  

I've also had the pleasure of driving a Formula Palmer Audi round beford autodrome - now these things are 'fairly quick'  ;)

It will be very interesting to see how things progress.

XTR2 customers thinking of upgrading to regular car engines - I'm not sure this will be possible - the chassis does not appear to use a modula engine cradle system - the back of the chassis on the XTR3 is quite a bit different to accommodate the gearbox etc.

I have to visit the factory this weekend so I will have a word with the powers that be to see if theywill let me do an 'official' news article for XTR2.net - may give you guys some more useful pictures to work wtih.

Golf/Borra 150PD - LOL - these are great cars - my daily drive and trailer puller.  Is it normal that you should be able to get massive lift-off oversteer at 15mph in a safe family car ??? er... maybe I need to adjust my driving style  :p  The other good thing about this car is it costs a fraction of costs of running my old P1 - which means more cash for the westi.

Mycroft - thats a very interesting comment - which bits of the XTR2 do you think are under developed ??? do you own one ???

Mycroft - thats a very interesting comment - which bits of the XTR2 do you think are under developed ??? do you own one ???

I imagine there are few persons frequenting car sites who go by the name Mycroft in which case ownership is likely to be of a Toyota, oops, sorry, Lexus Soarer, or SC430 as it is known over here.  If so he seems ideally placed to comment on a car that needs further development  :p  :p  :D  :D

Me and me father in-law suggested the 1.8T as an engine to Westfield over a year ago. It was about the same time they started trying out a Duratec installation in the SEi. I was told then they were looking at a supercharged (!;) engine installation - but nothing appears to have come of that. Maybe someone was listening afterall ?

You can probably pick up engines from scrappies now and you can get an instant 190bhp (ish) from the std 150 bhp 1.8T with a £400 chip - not bad if you ask me.

Mike

The thing about the 1.8T engine is that it is completely characterless.  I have one in my golf and recently got it chipped to 200+ bhp so it goes really well but it sounds like a vacuum in the process.  There is no argument that it is an effective engine and does everything an engine should, lots of low down grunt, very reliable etc...  but its really not for a Westfield I'm afraid to say.

Not the same Mycroft I'm afraid.

Interestingly, in Autocar Westfield reckon the "XTR3" weighs 550kg  ??? that's not a bad achievement considering the factory XTR2s weigh around 535kg.

So in reality it's 650+ ?

If so, how does it lap "considerably faster" than an XTR2?

Is it just 'cos it doesn't break down? ;)

:D

The thing about the 1.8T engine is that it is completely characterless.  I have one in my golf and recently got it chipped to 200+ bhp so it goes really well but it sounds like a vacuum in the process.  There is no argument that it is an effective engine and does everything an engine should, lots of low down grunt, very reliable etc...  but its really not for a Westfield I'm afraid to say.

But.... By the time you've fitted that same engine in a car with no soundproofing, and with a different exhaust etc etc - it could well have a completely different character. Don't write it off too quickly..  ???  :t-up:

Sorry - it's toyota lumps (189bhp corolla vvti + poss V6) going in the elise from next year, not honda.

They're all the same these high revving, variable timing bomb proof units. :blush:

I dont think i could think of a more charachterless, boring engine if i tried, quick isnt everything and i just cant believe a car with turbo lag plus an additional 100kg's of weight could beat a busa engine. What next a diesel!?

Diesel's already been done a few years ago !!  :D

I didn't think the 1.8T engine was that laggy - driven a friends A3 (the 180bhp version) and it certainly didn't strike me as being an obvious feature of the engine, certainly not like an MG Metro Turbo I drove years ago !