• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisbin

• gadrego

• peterg

• samcooke

Yup, read it in Autocar this morning. 180bhp standard with the VW six speeder.

Doesn't sound great to me...

A soul less dullard of an engine and a rubbery box (in the TT I drove at least). They reckon it is quicker than the busa on track, not sure how as it adds only 5bhp and gives away a full 100kg  ???

There are so many great engines out there that would better suit the car. I'm certain the 1.8T will be cheap due to the quantities produced but if Lotus can go for something special like the Honda units why can't Westfield? I'm sure people would pay the premium...

And I hate every turbo'd rear driver I've ever driven, (Soopra, 200SX etc) - so tricky to judge the power.

???

They reckon it is quicker than the busa on track,

that's 'cos they can't design a chain drive that holds together for a whole lap  :0

I'm guessing the TT engine in the 'faster' one had been chipped.....you can get 250bhp plus from this engine with no other changes AFAIK - still won't be as charismatic as a bike engine though  ;)  :D  :devil:

I was reading last night about the latest version of the Ariel Atom which has adopted the Honda Vtec out of the Civic Type R :love:  :love:  Even better they are getting Jap spec. ones which are rated at 220bhp.....

Now that sounds a better plan....... ???  ???  :t-up:

Why oh Why don't they put a subaru engine in it???

Even in standard form these things produce nigh on 300hp.... They have a low centre of gravity (horizontally opposed 4) and are light to boot!

Mate one to an Audi gearbox (that is probably why thay are looking at a VAG engine - in the audi's it is a longditudinal engine onto a FWD gearbox) or a Quaife transaxle!!!

Oh and the 2.5 turbo has 500bhp!!!!!

Please???

...©

I thought all of the 1.8T enignes were tranversely mounted.  The one in my golf certainly is.  With regard to the subaru engine.  A company tried to build a car recently using the impreza turbo engine.  From what I read they never managed to get a proper engine supply deal and secondhand ones were rare as RHS.  Also I don't know if the fact that it is a flat four could cause packaging problems as its going to be quite wide.  VTEC should have been the way to go, or why not a duratec?  Personally I think they should stick with the Hayabusa and develop it a little further.  It works well enough for Radical.

but if Lotus can go for something special like the Honda units why can't Westfield?

In what lotus is the jap lump sir?

jamie

Don't think Lotus have ever used Honda engines directly but there is a company who's name escapes me that were putting Type R engines into Elise.  Rumour has it that the next generation elise will use Toyota VVTi Engines.

but if Lotus can go for something special like the Honda units why can't Westfield?

In what lotus is the jap lump sir?

jamie

Elise?

I know its been done, but whether "officially" I'm not sure....?

Is that there plan for future Elsies..?

I think the VTEC company was BLINK, associated with bookatrack.com.

I heard a rumour ;) they were looking at a 350hp, surley thats not feasible from a TT engine thats why Scooby engine was everyones best guess  :cool:

I thought all of the 1.8T enignes were tranversely mounted

no, they're mounted longitudinally in the A4, Passat etc.  ;)

Rumour has it that the next generation elise will use Toyota VVTi Engines.

not a rumour, Lotus has announced it officially  :cool:  ;)

Scoob engines would be a pain in the XTR. Manifolds would be v v hard to route, would need the intercooler in the the side pod so the pipes would be long=lag. They're V expensive - you say 300hp - that's an STI lump with PPP. PPP is 2k alone. Engine new would be about 10. Not a bargain.

Not practical. And 2.5s don't produce 500 as std. 500 when heavily modded and theres not one in the UK that's holding together at that power yet. In the states they can, but their horses seem significantly smaller than ours ;)

TTS are working on a twin sprocket setup with 2 530 chains - will see if we can fit it on ours......should be a bit more reliable with that.

Would it be unfair to say it may be an idea to finish developing the XTR2 before moving onto another under developed car?  :devil: