Good Towcars for a Trailer+Westie

SteveF

I didn't realise the Scooby was so thirsty as a tow car.  I have a relative who tows his c******m with a Scooby and he has never mentioned it! ;)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SteveF

• Peter Cox

• JimNoble

• Nick M

I just happen to have a Golf 130 TDI that might just be for sale.

If anyone was looking then this already has a towbar, 6sp, climatronic, CD, etc, etc.

And it will be a very good price

And its only 9 months old with 7000 miles.

And its not yet been used for towing.

And its a VW UK car

1) For a tow car, Volvo's, you can't beat them, despite their image

2) For an economical tow car, a diesel

Contrary to what they taught me at school, 1 + 2 = Volvo diesel.

Pug 306 TDi ??  Think you might need to look for the later ones as they may have a slightly more powerful engine and better fuel economy.  I had a ****roen ZzzzX (same as a Pug underneath, just different bodywork) and it towed quite happily.  Al Yupright has a 306 so maybe worth dropping him a PM.

Tdi is so Ford! Pug call it Hdi!  :p

Yep, I've got a 306 Hdi. 2ltr direct injection diesel malarky. 90bhp and 155lbft. Variable vane turbo so very smooth and not boosty. Engine has balancer shafts so is lovely and quiet.

Max towing weight (braked trailer) is 1200kgs. I tow 900kgs with mine, using a twin axled trailer and it is very smooth, and the power is fine except when trying to keep up with the turbo boys who tow at 85.

Gives 40mpg when towing though. Mine was just under 7K for a 3year old car, with 35K on it, when I got it last year.

You can chip them to 110bhp and 200lbft for 500quid.  :sheep:

Pretty happy with it, but if I could of afforded a golf PD130 or PD150, thats probably what I would of had.

Cheers,

Al.

Tow vehicle - seeing the probs Al's had - ster clear of Pug 306's  :(  :(  :(  :(  Unless you have lots of patience.

I wouldnt say I've had problems, I just seek technical perfection ;)

My car tows perfectly, totally stable, never had it snaking or wobbling.

Just looks a bit wierd with the A*** sagging. It's only cos my Westy is running so well at the moment that I've been looking for something else to turn my engineering skills to, hence been looking at the pug towing angle/squat etc.

It is a nice tow-er though.

Cheers,

Al.

Even managed to reverse it, twice, onto a single width driveway, from a narrow road (with a car parked opposite the driveway once) over the weekend.  :cool:

Tdi is so Ford! Pug call it Hdi!  

That's the panda :t-up:  Couldn't remember the initials.  

BTW, in idling through a Demon Thieves catalogue I came across some dampers (might have been Monroe) which were designed to help sagginess when towing.  Is that what you were referring to in the towing thread about spring assisters or something ?  They had fitments for Pugs / Citroens listed.

Aye, and TowSure do some rubber donuts that you cable tie into the springs.

But I dont think thats the solution, cos you'd still end up with stiffer/reduced travel rear suspension, and I wonder if it'd mess up the handling when not towing.

I've sorted the solution, just not got round to implementing it. (and did 400miles towing over the weekend, with no handling problems at all, despite it being almost on the bumpstops).

Will spacer the hitch coupling on the trailer, when I can be arsed.

Playing it down a bit because its not really a serious problem, and it's giving people (Mark! ) the impression its a bad car for towing, which honestly isnt the case. Not as nice as a Golf PD150, but half the price...

Cheers,

Al.

Don't underestimate the new Mondeo TDCi, 130bhp and a whopping 330Nm of torque at only 1800rpm. Drive mine like a loon and still get 42mpg. There are lots of Ford engines in these forums!

They're pretty cheap too...

Aye, and TowSure do some rubber donuts that you cable tie into the springs.

But I dont think thats the solution, cos you'd still end up with stiffer/reduced travel rear suspension, and I wonder if it'd mess up the handling when not towing.

:t-up:   Couldn't remember what the rear suspension is like on them to be honest.  Think I only looked under there when I was fitting the tow bar !!

The dampers seemed like a reasonable compromise if you were towing a lot but seeing as most of the mileage I did was sans trailer it seemed slightly pointless.

Playing it down a bit because its not really a serious problem, and it's giving people (Mark! ) the impression its a bad car for towing, which honestly isnt the case. Not as nice as a Golf PD150, but half the price...

The ****roen was a nice car to tow with.  Cheaper than the Pug too, but no option of the decent HDi engine.

Found 2 more prospects while loooking around:

1. Seat Ibiza 1.9 TDI (130) - seems like a decent package (looks a bit like an Alfa - seems it was styled by the same guy), has a towing weight of 1200kg, and has 'hot hatch' performance (more than my old 5 Turbo which only had 122 bhp  :D )

2. Bora 1.9 TDI (130) Sport - all the comforts of a Golf - but with the addition of a boot & for some reason a smaller (used) price tag

Don't underestimate the new Mondeo TDCi, 130bhp and a whopping 330Nm of torque at only 1800rpm. Drive mine like a loon and still get 42mpg

Just got one myself and am very impressed with it.

In 6th @70mph it's just doing 1800rpm.

Carl

..and the power is fine except when trying to keep up with the turbo boys who tow at 85.

Bit harsh Al, we only tow at 80 usually, but that's why Im selling the Leon so I can keep you company at the back  :p

The Leon does make a fantastic tow car tho, so stable cos of the short overhang, and pulls like a train, me and Bazzer have both noticed how easily you can out-drag people in moderately powered cars when coming off roundabouts, which gives em a shock, and it will cruise up hill down dale at 70 in 6th all day. Its also pretty good on fuel when towing, I averaged 27mpg towing up to Brunty behind Gary at 70-80 at the weekend, so not bad at all.

However, im still putting it up For Sale cos of the mileage I'm starting to do, so if anyone wants a Jan2003 Leon Cupra (UK car), with 9k miles on the clock with or without towbar (no bumper holes) for around £13k, then gimme a shout!

Chris

At my son's 2nd Milkstop (4.15am), I was sitting, thinking about this...

My "dream" tow car at the mo would be from one of 3 groups: -

(a) 2nd hand economy

Golf GTTdi

BMW330d

(b) Brand spanking hot hatch (subject to suspect "towability", reasonable everyday non-towing mpg and the availability of a factory fitted - not aftermarket - towbar)

Honda Civic Type R

Mini Cooper S Works

© Brand spanking off the wall choice

Audi A4 cabriolet Tdi

Any comments?

This is me dreaming, accepting that I'll have to put up with the gas guzzling Volvo for a while. ???

2. Bora 1.9 TDI (130) Sport - all the comforts of a Golf - but with the addition of a boot & for some reason a smaller (used) price tag

Trouble with these is that there's no hatch, I have a BMW 320td which is a great car BUT the lack of a hatch is a pain in the  :arse: .

Andy

P.S. I don't tow with it as BMW wanted £800 +Vat for a towbar :0  :0  :0  :0  :0  :0  :angry:

P.S. I don't tow with it as BMW wanted £800 +Vat for a towbar :0  :0  :0  :0  :0  :0  :angry:

:0  :0  :0  :0  :0  :0  :angry: indeed ...crosses BMW off dream list