Good Towcars for a Trailer+Westie

SteveF

I'm starting the search for a replacement for my beloved Scooby   :(  ,the idea being that now I've got the Westie (actualy had it for over 2 years now :D ) I need something more practical (read more economic), which will do long journeys with a Westie in tow either on a trailer or possibly with an A frame - are these legal / sensible? - I've heard one or two comments about problems with the gearbox oil not being circulated when they're towed on the wheels, and overheating the bearings

Back to the original question - I'm looking at something like a 2-3 year old Golf TDI 130 / A3 TDI 130 or new Leon 130, or similar medium car with good mpg (50 ish) , that has reasonable performance - as I don't want to get too bored on long journeys

So has anybody any other suggestions for cars to consider, or comments on the towing performance of the ones mentioned

Steve

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SteveF

• Peter Cox

• JimNoble

• Nick M

Golf TDI 130

That would be the one then, not cheap though. :0

A-Frames are illegal I think. ???

OK for recovery vehicles but not for towing. :(

andy :xmas:

Pug 306 TDi ??  Think you might need to look for the later ones as they may have a slightly more powerful engine and better fuel economy.  I had a ****roen ZzzzX (same as a Pug underneath, just different bodywork) and it towed quite happily.  Al Yupright has a 306 so maybe worth dropping him a PM.

Don't use an A Frame on a Westfield  :(  :(  :(  :(  ;)  ;)  They put the wishbones and chassis under too much stress and it has a good potential to bend and weaken  :(  :(  :(  ;)

Get yourself a trailer  ;)  ;)

Tow vehicle - seeing the probs Al's had - ster clear of Pug 306's  :(  :(  :(  :(  Unless you have lots of patience.

Longer wheelbase would be better  :D  :D  and a TDI would help on fuel  :D

There's also the Seat Ibiza TDi 130. Should still cope with towing a trailered westfield, just about, but a few less kg to hulk around when you're not towing.

You can get a new (pre-reg?) euro import 5 door for £11995...

Jim

Or alternatively, buy my low-mileage "51" Golf V5 off me so I can buy one ;)

Plenty of toys to keep you entertained on the motorway, and a nice audi-esque 5 cylinder growl for A-road entertainment :D

Just don't ask about the fuel economy  ???

Jim

Even the 110 TDi's are OK, and you can get them quite cheap second hand now.

I had a Seat Toledo TDi once... even took it on a track day (I was waiting delivery of my scooby and it was late) suprisingly enough it went really well... scared the cr@p out of a few elises (elisi??) as you had to brake really (really) late to get anywhere with it and be prepared to use that bit of grass run-off as extra width for the corners ;)

Good car - I could average 40mpg even caneing it (London (Tower bridge) to Devon (Bideford) 2.5 hrs... 240 miles)

My one complaint on the 110 was that it could have used an LSD as you could get the inside front to smoke on tight bends...

...©

Trailer. No question.

A 3 or 5 series derv should tow better and be more fun to pedal than the VAG cars. You can chip a 90bhp 2.0HDi pug to 130 for a bit more poke.

Shhh... but I reckon best of the bunch would be a year old Mundano 2.0d - had one as a courtesy car for two weeks - smoother than the VW pd units and nice to steer, long wheelbase and an 1800kg tow limit so you can tow pretty much anything. No image of course, but then you did used to have a scooby  ;)

I had a 325 TDS and it was great for towing the trailer/car. I hardly knew it was there.

Top Gear was great tonight

Towing a caravan at 125mph

:devil:  :D

YMBJ - I only get about 25 mpg out of the Scoob on it's own - towing would probably reduce it to near half - that makes it pretty expensive to go any distance - and if it was only a short distance - I'd just drive the Westy there anyway

I don't use the Scooby for towing at the moment - but I haven't ventured further than about 2 hours (Westy) drive away for a track day. If I want to go further afield :t-up: (in more comfort :blush: - I don't mind being wet ON track - but don't fancy having to drive more than 2 hours there, and then the same again in the rain on the way home) I would rather have a comfortable dry refuge (and may be able to persuade SWMBO to do some of the driving there & back)

Had a look at a 320d (new shape) - thought it was a bit big for what I wanted - is the older shape 320d up to much?

Steve

There was no old shape 320d.  There was a 318td (I think) a 318Tds, a 325td I think) and a 325 tds.  The S ones have intercoolers and are far better.  Not driven a 325TDS but the 525TDS my father used to run was bl**** quick for a big car.  

I drive a Mk4 Golf Gti 1.8T as my tintopper.  Really nice car (except it wallows a bit and sounds like Dyson built the engine).  I'd have bought a 130 Tdi had they been a bit cheaper at the time).  Great Engines and also pretty quick especially considering their MPG.  150 even better but a bit pricey.

If its a tow car, then maybe you should consider the 2.5V6 Tdi A4's.  I test drove one when I bought the golf and not only did it go well, but it sounded quite nice as well.  Very smooth for an oil burner.

There's my two pence pence worth.

My Audi A6 Estate will tow the Westfield at silly speeds with virtually no effort, but the V6 petrol only does around 25mpg, so the best bet is to go for the excellent TDI (50ish). I've had a fleet of Audis and they're great- fully galvanised, dead cheap secondhand (compared to Merc or BMW) and rarely go wrong.

For the ultimate see if you can pick up a BMW 530D estate - best / most fun diesel I've ever driven and you can't tell it's a diesel - except at the pumps!

I used to get a bout 13MPG towing with my scooby, which is why it is no more, I am looking at a 130 TDi golf.

As I am getting on a bit I think I would like a automatic, can you get a Diesel one?