• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

OT: Running in a diesel

adhawkins

Hi all,

Well, I've gone and done it, I've reached middle age...

I pick up my new Mundano Diesel tomorrow morning, was just wondering if there was anything different I need to do in terms of running it in?

I've seen the oft-posted link to a motorbike site for running engines in, does this apply to diesels too?

Don't worry, pipe and flat cap are on order ;)

Andy

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• higgsti

• stu999

• Blatman

Top Posters In This Topic

Usual rules I guess? Be gentle, don't got above 4,500rpm (hmm... lol).

It's warrantied, drive it like you stole it :D

Well I stand to be corrected and I can only refer to my experience with Audi oil burners but I was told (by an Audi technical blokey)  to drive them as you would normally do from the off, in fact a bit of welly here and there might even help.

Apparently diesels respond to this better than running in at very low rpm. Be prepared to get through some oil in the 1st 5k or so. :durr:

Disclaimer: Anyone can feel free to correct me if I'm talking out of my  :arse:  :D  :D  :D :

agreed with boxerman.

my veedub was run in using the no prolonged constant revs but don't be scared of using your right foot. 129000 miles on and it still uses less than 1litre of oil between services

You're supposed to put oil in between services?

:0

Andy

I cocur with my esteemed colleages. Drive it like you stole it. AFAIK, diesels don't require running in.

You could always RTFM though.....  :p:D

Can't remember there being anything in the owners manual for my last two cars about running in...could be wrong though.

Thanks for the advice so far.

Andy

I would certainly do an oil change after 5/6K, even though the service schedule is likely to be 12K.  Then again, if it is not your car, and/or you don't intend keeping it, why bother?

It will be my car (unfortunately some of us don't get company cars), but I don't plan on doing any maintenance to it myself. The first 4 services will be paid for, which should easily get me through my ownership of the car (I tend to get bored after a couple of years).

Andy

I know all the theories about thrashing from Day 1, however when I got my new Mundano D, I couldn't bring myself to thrash a new car staright away. Dunno why?:bangshead:

Still a mate did and after 50k miles the cars perform the same and use similar amounts of oil.

Weird, I've got a 306TD & it's got 90,000 miles on the clock.

It has never used any oil, I'm pretty sure it's a diesel & it's French, hhmmm.

Oil changed every 5-6k miles & an engine flush too, that's it.

It's warrantied, drive it like you stole it :D

Had to drive a rental VW Passat Turbodiesel a few weeks back  :down:  :down:  

hated the , no power, no power, no power..........wallop.......there's the turbo......that's better.........bo**ocks........there's the rev limiter  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Found the best thing was to rev the engine hard, drop the clutch, get close to the rev limiter, then just dip the clutch and shift whilst keeping the pedal in the carpet  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Only had 200 miles on the clock :devil:  :devil: and didn't seem to mind  :D  :D  :D

David

If you go slow to run in it gives a slow car :D

Lots (well a couple) suggest regular oil changes, modern multigrade oils, in particular sinthetic are good for 100,000 miles. It is only the engine filtration that has not improved at the same rate as oil has.

So when changing the oil CHANGE THE FILTER AS WELL

:t-up:

Use a semi synthetic oil and you wont go far wrong.

BTW if oil does not say FULLY Sinthetic on the can, it's only a semi sinthetic inside. This also applies to sinyhetically modified or engineered.

The one key think to do with new TDi's is to check the oil level regularly.  This especially concerns all VAG TDi's as some drink a lot of oil especially when new.  After 2,500 miles they can be down at minimum on the dipstick :0

My missus had a new Clio diesel last year but something in me could not let the car run to its 18000  service date without new oil, :oops: ,so changed it @1K but used Renault stuff to avert any waranty issues. At 80bhp from 1460cc its little more than a shopping trolley, but always returns 65 to 70odd mpg. Mind you she drives it like its running in all the time :p

B.