Brake upgrade

Mark B

Morning all,

Right, my speedsport has the standard m16 calipers fitted & I can't say I'm tooooooooo chuffed with the stopping power so I'd like to do something about it.

Question is would I see a great benefit from simply changing the pads to DS2500's etc or is it best to change the front calipers to outlaw 4 pots or similar?

As many of you out there have probably been through this already I'd value your feedback before I part with more of my hard earned!

Cheers,

Mark.  :t-up:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mark B

• Matt Seabrook

• neilwillis

• Bazzer

Top Posters In This Topic

What don't you like about them.

Feel ?

Stopping power ?

Fade resistance ?

Can recomend better based on the answer to these questions.

Sorry should've been more specific, it's the stopping power really and also the feeling that you're not stopping unless you really stand on them, I know with them being non servo assisted you have to apply more force, but I like to touch the brakes and immediately feel some effect, but these don't seem that effective untill you press really hard on the brakes.

Wondering whether some grippy pads would be a solution as I don't want to go the other way and start locking the brakes all the time, or whether 4 pots would be better, but if so is the master cylinder upto it?  :oops:

Generally a switch to 4 pots means an upgrade to the master cylinder (the AP one I think?)

Andy

Was wondering if you could get away without it by going for the outlaw ones, seeing as though they're supposed to be a direct replacement?

What brakes do you have on yours andy & what do you think of them?

Cheers,

Mark. :)

Mine are just the standard factory jobs...they feel fine to me, but I've got nothing to compare them with really.

Andy

if you get 4 pots with small pistons there is no need to change master cylinder.

my personal opinion is that they are must better .i have got wilwoods and 285mm discs on front and brakes are excellent,when used in anger make sure you well strapped in seat. :p

I was at a track day at Elvington yesterday, I'm not a expert driver, but I have Cat Motorsport 4 pots on my Westy and I was braking 50 metres later than other Westy type cars with std brakes.

At the end of the day, it depends whay you want to do with the car.......

Steve

Thanks for the feedback guys,

I only use the car for road use, but having got used to 4 pots on my cosworths it feels like a step back in the westy brake wise.

Although I don't drive like a loony I do like to have good stoppers, and rather than pay 50 quid or so for some uprated pads I'd rather put it toward a set of 4 pots if it's the best way to sort them out.

I was reading a thread on here the other week regarding pads, the ds2500 seemed to get the thumbs up for best road use pad, but saw the outlaw calipers & wondered which would be best.

Please keep the opinions coming,

Cheers,

Mark.  :t-up:  :t-up:

What tyres are you using, as for me the standard M16 calipers with Mintex 1144 pads are just fine with list 1A (Yoko A539) tyres. I can stand it on its nose from 80 plus without much effort. Have you got a firm pedal, or do the brakes need bleeding thoroughly?

For the cost and effort, I would try uprated front pads first, either the Ferodo or the Mintex seem to get the best reviews on here.  That said, I haven't tried 4 pots ???

Ian,

I'm on 205/50/15 Toyo t1-plus's all round, they seem to grip well, the pedal is ok although it may benefit from bleeding again (was done last year b4 I got the car).

No idea what pads are in it but they don't seem too good to me!

Dis you find it alot better just upgrading the pads then? If so as you say I may try the pad upgrade & change the fluid, I'm no nutcase but you can't beat a decent set of anchors imo!

Cheers,

Mark.  :t-up:  :t-up:

Try a set of DS2500 should be better than what you have fitted. ;)

Think I might just do that especially if Ian reckons he can near enough stand it on it's nose at 80!

I'll give the fluid a change aswell while I'm doing it.

Ok where's the best/cheapest place to get them, presume you have to ask for mk4 cortina items?

Cheers,

Mark.  :t-up:  :D

I would agree with the people sugesting a pad upgrade.

Will make a huge difference. I have the 4 pots and still never had great brakes. Now run Pagid RS15 front and RS14 rear and they are awesome.

Thanks to Mark B for pointing me in the direction of the Pagid's

Bazer

Wouldnt want to tell you what to get here but I will say if its for road use I would not go for such as greenstuff, even the latest version. Reason?, the first time you hit em from cold they just dont seem to work. From 90 or so after a fraction of a second you feel them work but panic break at 30 and your up the a**e of the car in front before they bite. Fitted greenstuff to the 2 pots on the cyclone with little gain and some loss as described. Went to Hispec 4 pots and got the pads, (greenstuff thrown in). I was not impressed so a couple of hundred miles I threw them out, fitted mintex and the jobs a goodun, massive improvement and can now set the balance bar with confidence :D I would get the rears locked first on occaision before :oops:

B.