• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KerryS

• Blatman

• ACW

• mb893

Top Posters In This Topic

of course if we could pre-stress the panels during assembly then we might really see some stiffness gains.

My 1988 sei race chassis has epoxy bonded panels and many more rivets than a standard build as construction manual. If you have the time bond them on.

of course if we could pre-stress the panels during assembly then we might really see some stiffness gains.

We are still talking about building a Westfield and installing interior panels aren't we  :D  :D  :D  :devil:  :devil:  ;)  Thought it best to check  :D  :D  ;)

err........... perhaps I should never have used the word stiffness! How about torsional compliance or does this have connotations that I am unaware of?

Looking again at the build manual - all I have at the moment - I wonder if it's worth not bonding the panels over the gearbox/propshaft as it may be those that may be more likely to need to be removed?

Also, build manual refers to optional interior and exterior side panels. For road use which of these are worth/not worth having?

Kerry S

Looking again at the build manual - all I have at the moment - I wonder if it's worth not bonding the panels over the gearbox/propshaft as it may be those that may be more likely to need to be removed?

I would totally agree with this, the top of my tunnel is out after evry sprint to ensure nothing has come loose.

I bonded and did all the extra riviting when I rebuilt my car for the start of last year, thinking along similar lines.

Has it made a difference to the way it handles ?  Not sure, I don't think I am a good enough driver to notice the difference between them.

If you are building the car just for road I would be tempted to bond all the pannels to prevent the dirt and wet from standard road driving seeping through the joints.

I do recall a thread on here about the optional exterior pannels being a good idea.  But if you wait a bit Blatman will come and tell you to do a search for it and them post you the results  :p  :D  :p

HTH

Rob

I do recall a thread on here about the optional exterior pannels being a good idea.  But if you wait a bit Blatman will come and tell you to do a search for it and them post you the results      
Nah, Blatman will just tell that they are 'a very good idea' :D:D:D

I would. *Definitely* fit both interior and exterior panels....

Nob

Leave it......  :0:p:D

s**t happens.....

Half a roll of kitchen towel would suffice surely? :D:D:D

can get them again if UR interested.

If it's no bother I'd be interested, if it's a pain to get them no worries... cheers.

Half a roll of kitchen towel would suffice surely?

Depends which panel needs wiping...

Thanks guys for the views - quite a pleasing repsonse for my first post. And it didn't "deviate" too far from the car issue!

My thoughts now are to get the optional side panels and use selective adhesive bonding on some panels and seal others with a polyurethane sealer (Tigerseal from U-Pol).

I'll start a new thread on anti-roll bars soon...........

Kerry S

PS I'll post the tensile test results on the Tech area soon too

'ere That's a Coast2Coast shot I haven't seen AND it's my car....

You got any more Kerry. I thought i'd had everyones picture by now