• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

New build

KerryS

Hi -new member here from Derby.

Deposit paid on a module build 1800 due on my birthday in September, final details to be sorted in a week or so at the factory and another drive I hope!

A Westfield -building friend at work used structural adhesives in conjunction with the rivets for attaching the panels to the frame. He did some tensile tests with samples

- just rivets

- rivets with sealant

- rivets with 2-pack Araldite

- rivets with adhesive (Scotchweld 9323)

In all cases except the last, the rivets sheared. With the adhesive, the aluminium plate sheared!

Now this must add some structural rigidity to the whole chassis but I wonder if there may be future downsides.

I have other questions too but I'll leave them for later postings.

No avatar yet - bit new to all this

Kerry S

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KerryS

• Blatman

• ACW

• mb893

Top Posters In This Topic

In all cases except the last, the rivets sheared

At what numbers? Jolly interesting stuff.

Panel replacement for sure, but when would you do that? And why?

Welcome and good luck with the build.

No avatar yet - bit new to all this

See the link in my sig.

Welcome aboard! :t-up:

Andy

:t-up:

Give me a shout if you have any problems.

Andy

mb893

I gave him back the traces from the test machine but can get them again if UR interested.

Kerry S

Accidents happen.....modifications happen...... s**t happens.....

Kerry,

I would certainly bond the floor, exterior side and seat back panels (and I have with my car) as I can't think why you would ever need to remove them and it will be beneficial (in my opinion) to the integrity of the chassis.

Richard.

So it's all negative then ie not a good idea?

Kerry S ???

If you are considering using a low yield material like CF sheet for the floors then sure bond them in, but with a high yield material like ally sheet, I cant see that you are adding that much integrity vs replacebility. Sure there is a little shear panel action but not that much.

A trace of the load/displacement though would be interesting. It would be nice to see if the displacement at reasonable loads is much less with bonding that rivets. ie in the area where the panels would be subjected to shear are the rivets removing this action to some extent by yielding.

For those who are interested, I'll get the traces and see how best to show them.

I thought that Colin Chapman's maxim was light weight and stiffness. Making the frame/chassis as stiff as possible and letting the suspension do it's stuff without losing energy through twist would give more predictable ride/handling.

If accidents or s**t happens, then whether panels or bonded or not means deep doodoos anyway, angle grinders, welding etc and anyway, in general, there is a greater tendancy for cars to stay together than be involved in accidents. So if there are benefits in terms of the greater part of its life then it should be worth considering.

OK - making changes may happen and then bonded panels may be a bit of a b****r so if I anticipate doing this it needs to be brought into the equation.

Kerry S

Accidents happen.....modifications happen...... s**t happens.....

They certaintley do just look what happened Timo Rautiainen, Marcus Gronholm's co-driver in the WRC Turkey. I'll bet he'll have a sore  :arse: , luckily for him it missed the family jewels.

Timo Rautiainen

Westfield used to bond the pannels to the chassis, but stopped a few years ago due to time / cost.

I have a feeling they might still do it on the race chassis, however previous feelings have been wrong.