• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Stick on number plates

tony7

anything stick on and smaller than standard size plate/digits is an offence. although it isnt for MOT. ???

So if it's stick on but standard size, is it Ok?

Or are stick on plates themselves illegal?

Andy

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tony7

• adhawkins

• neilwillis

• S8ight

Yes, the plates are illegal.   If you have one the police now have the power to confiscate the registration number and fine you upto £2,000.

I'm sure I've seen standard 'road' cars with these on though.

Doesn't the MX-5 have a stick on numberplate (or am I mistaken)?

I'm talking about the front only here, not the rear.

Andy

Ok, my mistake...

I'm sure I've seen a stick on plate on something...can't remember what though.

Ah well.

Andy

Caravans have stick on number plates but im unsure if they are legal or not, saying that they should make caravans illegal on the road between the hours of 6am and 9pm.........lol

:)

I've seen a fair few road going westies with number plates stuck onto the front nose cone, indeed if you do a search you'll see many discussions saying these are legal as the westie has no "vertical surface" to stick them on.

Greg

Can anyone on here give a definitive answer?

I've always thought the underslung plate looks a little silly, as well as being a potential ground clearance problem (not to mention having to clean all the flies off it ;) ).

Andy

There has recently been a tightening of the law regarding number plates.   The requirements are very specific about size, spacing and font of the numbers/letters, and also the material from which the plate is made.   The reflectivity of the plates is also specified, and anyone who doesn't comply stands a chance of having their cherished plates confiscated without redress or compensation.   At the same time, the registration plates were made one of the items checked on an MoT test, and also that documentation was required in order to buy a set  of plates, and that all number plate sellers had to be licenced.

It may take a while for the law to bite, but bite it will.

Hmmm...

It's a shame, I'm not talking about a plate that is in any way 'non standard' (in terms of size, spacing, colour and font), apart from the fact that it's stuck on to the car rather than screwed on (and obviously not made of hard plastic).

I can understand all the non-standard spacings and the people who try to beat the cameras with different backgrounds and the like. But all I want is a white stick on number plate for the front!

Is that too much to ask?

Andy

andy, your plate has to be mounted vertically.

but what it all comes down to if you get stopped is wether or not the copper got his leg over the night before :)

the wife has got a small front plate on her Quattro, its about 3"x14"with normal digits, shes never been stopped for it.

I've asked for clarification on this website run by UK police officers

which states:

This forum is intended to offer advice in relation to UK Criminal and Road Traffic Law and Legislation.

The advice is offered from current-serving UK police officers, and is offered to the best of their ability.

The information is based on their own individual experiences, expertise and training.

It is stressed, however, that if any information or advice found in these forums is used by any person or organisation, then the respective police officer(s) can not and will not take any responsibility for any outcome in any investigation in a criminal or civil enquiry.

The advice is offered to the best of the officer's knowledge and ability, and we will stress that we will never be knowlingly misleading or untruthful in content.

I can't find the damned thing now, but I have a government pamphlet somewhere that came with the info for registering my car.   It said in there that you have to comply with the requirement to have a perspex type number plate front and rear, and laid down the exact sizes etc.

It did state there that stick on plates were a no no.

From here (via the thread that greg started on the other board):

Are stick-on number plates legal?

No, number plates must meet the British Standard requirements and we are not aware of any self-adhesive number plates that are able to meet these requirements.

:arse:

Andy

The point that no one seems to have discussed is whether the legislation is retrospective or not.

As of 1st Jan 2003 (or so) the new plates have to be to the new regulations but have all previous plates been made illegal by this?   e,g, new regs state that post code of supplier must be on plates, but there are trillions of cars driving round without post codes on their plates because they were made before new regs.

Therefore are new stick on plates illegal because none comply with new regs or are all stick on plates illegal?  I believe only new plates are illegal and that stick on plates fitted before 1st Jan continue to be OK if they meet the colour and spacing rules.  Otherwise there are many cars going back over 75 years that will need to have modern perspex plates fitted because they had stick ons since the 50's. e.g AC cobras, Lotus Cortinas and many race / rally / vintage sports cars used on road.

I may know nothing at all but that my five pennies worth. :D