gearlever vibration

winker

Hello everybody. This is my first 'posting' as a WSCC member. (although I did post this item earlier in the wrong forum, so appologies to all those who've seen this somewhere before!;). Not the best of starts, but however... Anyway, bought my first Westie in February - a '99 Speedsport, 1800 Zetec, MT75 box etc. I've a few 'niggles' to sort out, the most worrying/annoying being a rather loose/rattling/vibrating gearstick. The looseness is left-right rather than backwards-forewards, with the vibration worsening the faster I go. Applying hand pressure to the top of the lever does lessen the noise, but I prefer two hands on the wheel if possible! I've followed threads on this site. It seems that my first option is to replace the 'plastic locator thing' that the gearstick sits in. On the face of it this appears to be a relatively simple task even for a non-mechanic like myself. However I'm aware that my car has a gearlever extension, so maybe the job is not as straightforeward as I first thought? I've bought a plastic thing from my local Ford dealer. Tips regarding replacing the old one would be appreciated, as would any thoughts on any other possible cause of the problem.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• predawson

• scruffythefirst

• Blatman

Hello, and welcome,

For a quick check, we should intorduce you to the search facility of this forum - its very good - top right hand side is the button for it - i would search in the tech section, and try key words such as 'gearstick' +'vibration' and or nylon bush.

Im not sure what the actual term for it is - Im sure blatman will be along in a minute to give the finer points of searching, aswell as how to replace this item - i think he has done it a couple of times. Apprenlty its a common problem - i need to replace mine to.

cheers

Chris

As that thread notes, the plastic thingy is in the type 9. I have no experience of rattling levers, or the cure for, in MT75's.......

:bangshead:

Doh. I specifically remember reading that in the thread too...

This marriage lark isn't all it's cracked up to be :D

Andy

I think it's a bit late for that...got the certificate to prove it :)

To be honest though, never been happier :t-up:

Andy

Regular sex with a girl who can't easily leave you will do that.......  :0:0:0

Regular sex with a girl who can't easily leave you will do that.......  :0:0:0

:D

Well, we've been living together for nearly 9 years, and co-owned a house for the last 6 or so...

Andy

The plastic bush is for the type 9 gearbox, as you have an MT75 it will not be of any use.

I suspect you have a problem with the remote gearlever linkage, do you know if it is fitted with a standard Ford linkage or Westfield's quick shift linkage?

I have heard of the side mounting bolts falling out or shearing, and in 1 extreme case the linkage itself snapping (early '97 Westfield quick shift, newer design is much better).

I would advise you start by taking a look at the linkage, this is best done by taking the top off the transmission tunnel. To do this you will need to remove, the seats, the harness/seatbelt fixings on side of tunnel, the tunnel carpet, gear knob and then the aluminium panel around the gearlever.

You should then be able to see the linkage, if it is made from tube it is the Westfield unit. There should be 4 fixings to the gearbox casing and 1 central one to the gearbox selector.

If any of these fixings are loose, missing, or broken it should be quite obvious.

I hope this helps.

Can't say I've noticed so far... :0

Andy