Duratec V-6

darthurs

Rover? are you serious. last time they made a good engine it was a buick...

Wasn't it racecar engineering recently that did an article on the KV6. Can't remember who the article was based on

but I got the impression they thought it was a very nice engine. Completely different construction and  league to the k series IIRC.

Think they suggested about 10 grand to fettle one properly though :cool:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zoso

• darthurs

• Blatman

• conibear

Correct me if I'm wrong, also the 2.0L and 2.3L Duratecs were initially designed by Mazda. The V6 being all alloy should be lightissshhh with bags of torque.

Yeah it was.  But there surely can't be enough rover v6's around to supply a big demand...

RX-8 engine for me if my future plans go right.

Dads just got his new rx8... its awesome, but i can't get insured on it.

And apparently that design was nicked from BMW originally.

RX-8 engine for me if my future plans go right.

i assume from that statement that your plans were to right dads rx8 off and have the engine for you project westfield!!:D:p

Makes a change after the Erics raped and pillaged Land Rover for its 4x4 technology and ooh look they sell  Land Rover for a quid and low and behold the X5 appears and every muppet and hairdresser in town buys one and look what's that on the horizon....... the X3

I'm off on one now  ahhhhhh I hate to see UK co's go to the wall or get rogered done over

Buzz

:angry:

Makes a change after the Erics raped and pillaged Land Rover for its 4x4 technology

Strange, I didn't think the X5 had beam axles and cart springs on a ladder chassis made of girders.  Land Rover's 4x4 technology didn't work too well on the Freelander - most of the production run for the first two years was (inadvertantly) 2WD only because the transfer boxes failed almost immediately.  Fortunately very few people noticed and the dealers were told to remedy the problem at services without telling anyone...

Toby, just read an article on Motorsport events regarding Hullavington's trailer out-takes        

Ian

You mean my little "accident" on the way home?

I will not be using that method for strapping the car down in future! :blush:  :blush:  :blush:

Were you the guy with a duratec car I was talking to there? (think there was also a V8 in your party too?)

Toby

Not true.

The original 3.5 all alloy V8 was a low revving marine engine that a Rover exec saw languishing in Buicks development facility on a visit to the US to source a new engine for the P5

It only revved to about 3500 with the Buick liners, above that the liners used to creep down the bores with the expected results  :oops:

With pressed liners and some development it is is now one of the all time classic engines alongside the BMC A series, VX XE 2.0L, Alfa/Fiat 1.8/2.0L and small block Chevrolet.

:arse:  :arse:  :arse:

nothing wrong with ford...

especially when it's engineered by mazda!!!

Rotary Mazda revival is with Ford money as is Aston Martin etc etc etc

Watch this space. Lets see how long the rotary engine rotor tips last. If they dont then all MX8`s are worthless.

Nissan revival is with Renault.

Zetec technology developed in US.

:sheep:  :sheep:

As was Buick engine.

A series and VX XE are true Brit engineering.

The rest are primarily American apart from Alfa/Fiat which are wet liner engines.

:arse:  :arse:  :arse:

Rotary Mazda revival is with Ford money as is Aston Martin etc etc etc

Watch this space. Lets see how long the rotary engine rotor tips last. If they dont then all MX8`s are worthless.

No revival about it the Rx 7 has been in production for a long time.  The rotar tips on those lasted till about 60 or 70k and their turbocharged where as Rx 8 is not.

Think about it small lightweight revvy powerfull engine, not a motorbike engine with their problems but one that was designed to work in a car environment.

The rX 8 engine appears to be about a foot and a half long...

tiny, high power, low but reasonable torque (i.e. tractable).

Were you the guy with a duratec car I was talking to there? (think there was also a V8 in your party too?)

Toby

Yeh I was there in the Blue Westie Duratec, as was my mates Blue Caterham Duratec. The V8 was a chap who I can't remember his name but he had Westfields' 1st ever V8 SEIW. It was about 12-13 years old 4.2 litre 280 bhp and although a bit heavy once rolling was impressive.

Ian

My brother is getting one of these as his new company motor in about 3 weeks time :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

I can't wait for it to arrive.............so he will stop talking about it :p  :p

Looking forward to hearing the Buzzer going off :cool:  :cool:

David

My brother is getting one of these as his new company motor in about 3 weeks time :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

I can't wait for it to arrive.............so he will stop talking about it :p  :p

Looking forward to hearing the Buzzer going off :cool:  :cool:

David

If its the 230 you'll be to busy smilling to hear the buzzer...

I can't wait to get the damn thing on an airfield or track so i can play...