• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

Crash helmet

Richard

I'm looking at purchasing a new crash helmet for track day use.

Long term view may involve Speed Series if funds permit.

Does anyone have any opinion on the OMP Integrale which is BS6658-85A approved and seems pretty good value at £90.(Demon Thieves) however, I have seen it cheaper on EasyTrack website.

Alternatively there is the Sparco Formula at £212, but that is considerably more expensive and the only main difference I can see is that it is BS6658-85A FR approved.

Is it the obvious case of  'the more you pay,the better the quality'?

Any comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Richard

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Matt Seabrook

• adhawkins

• Blatman

• felters

One thing to bear in mind is that brand is less important than fit.  Different heads fit different lids better than others.  For example, I tried on various offerings (Shoei, Arai, cheapo ones, etc.) before finding a Simpson one which was a good fit.

The other thing to consider is to buy the best helmet you can afford.  Don't scrimp on safety because your head is worth protecting properly.

Things to check for in terms of fit and comfort :

- the helmet should sit evenly across the top of your head with no obvious pressure points or gaps

- check there's enough padding in the helmet - your cheeks should be squeezed in and the lid shouldn't wobble on your head

- does the chin strap keep the lid securely in place, or can the lid rock back and forth ?  Can you pull the lid up because the chin strap doesn't hold it down sufficiently ?

If you go to a good bike shop or motorsports type place then they should take the time to help you find the best lid for you.  I'd be wary of buying one untried from places like Demon Tweeks - would you buy a suit without trying it on ?

you are far better going to a motorbike shop for a helmet and try as many on as you can find out what standard you need for what your intended use is .motorcycle helmets are designed to keep the head as still as possible on a bike in turbulance just what you will need in your car .spend as much as you can afford an if you can get one with a tear off visor system £35 pound everytime you replace your visor gets expensive

IMHO get an RAC roll cage as well. The cosmetic one you've got won't do you any good regardless of how much you spend on a helmet :down:

IMHO get an RAC roll cage as well. The cosmetic one you've got won't do you any good regardless of how much you spend on a helmet :down:

ITYM roll bar. Calling it a cage is misleading, a cage has bars going across the top to the front, as well as side impact bars.

Andy

Well, kind of. I've seen you use the term before, and it immediately made me wonder why you were recommending someone get a roll cage, till I realised you just meant the roll bar.

Thought it was worth pointing out so as people don't get the wrong idea like...

:t-up:

Andy

Cheers fellas,

It just so happens that I have ordered an RAC roll bar from Westfield this morning - Honest !!

Anyone know of any Motorbike outlets in the Leeds area that sell BS6658 85A helmets? Don't fancy driving round them all only to find they don't sell 'em.

Thanks

Richard

Fully agree with Nick on helmet fitment - brands do vary a lot  ;)

Try not to do mail order for helmets and get yourself along to a supplier - for me I found Sparco to narrow, OMP were to close to my face especially chin protection and opted for Bell - fit for me is just fine and allows me to wear my specs as well  :D  :p  ;)

Larkspeed are Leeds way I think  ;)

Motorbile helmet suppliers may not have correct BS for MSA requirements  ;)  ;)

till I realised you just meant the roll bar.

The standard westfield offering is what it says " a roll over bar"

Problem is that its design allows you to roll over laterally ie: 90 degrees to car.

Major problem is when car rolls over and is still travelling forward which is when your roll over bar buckles like chocolate and you wear out the road surface with your head  :oops:

YKIMS get a properly `braced` roll over bar. Its also 70mm taller. Imagine a straight line from the top of the bar to the rocker/cam cover, allow an extra 50mm for gravity (when your upside down) and thats how tall your bar needs to be.

Taller than you think I`ll bet..... :down:

Motorbile helmet suppliers may not have correct BS for MSA requirements  ;)  ;)

What is the current rule? Before anybody pipes up with read the blue book I have not got one yet  :D

:arse: Info will be old like you and not current :p:D

:blush: Evnin mate

The only difference between the bs6658 and 6658 fr helmets is the fr stands for fire resistant (nomex ) lining.

Regs for 2004 still demand helmet complies with bs 6658-85 type A or a(fr) or Snell sa 95; snell sa2000 or sfi foundation .

ECE 22-05 stickered helmets (most new m/ bike acu approved helmets) are good for BIKE racing but NOT car racing.

Buy as good as you can afford; and most importantly make sure it fits firmly.

Hope that helps