Any recommendations for £20k?

bootleboy

Jag or Mondeo, being as it's the same car, mostly........

Only floor pan and some engines, mondeo crappo, x series pretty decent. I wish I'd have gone for the jag in stead of the A4 (i f**king hate german cars),but i wanted an estate and they're like rockin' horse turd

Don't buy a BMW 3 series I've been in bigger sardine cans plus the stigma thats attached to them its nearly as bad as that of a Suburu Impratza's.

Its a personal choice try a few .If its image that u want then you'll go 4 the usual no doubt and the rest as they say.....

Buzz

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bootleboy

• markcoopers

• Chris Elworthy

• chrisbin

S60 D5 sounds good, but again these start at just under £21, anyone know what the spec is like for that money?

Better than the Beemer, thats for sure!!

I had a 2.0T SE and never regretted choosing over the BMW/Audi options.

If you are doing many miles you will just love the comfort and you really won't sacrifice much in handling/cornering ability. A

nyway, you have the westy for that!!

I must admit, ive been leaning towards the Jag since i was offered the job.

Problem is, i can only get the base model, and i dont know anybody with one to ask their opinion.

I just dont have time to go and testdrive any, so im a bit stuck really.

Is an x type the right image for a 30 year old? I think so, but there are others (not on this site), who find the idea comical!!

Mundaneo is good if you can stand the image (or lack off!;)

+'s

Good handling

Very torquey engine (if slightly noisey)

Good Spec

Spacious (esp estate)

V. long legged on motorway

-'s

Noisey engine when cold

Air con not good on auto

crap image compared to others

Overall a pretty good all round family motor with a crap image.

If you fancy something a little different have a look at the Kia Sorento XS diesel.Fully loaded , bullet proof warrenty , good reviews , velly weliable.quite nice to look at too.

SK :devil:  :devil:

If you are looking at the 320D, they used to do a model called 320D ES. This gave you the sport suspension, colour coding plastic bits, x spoke alloys, and sport interior trim. This model was also cheaper that the 320D base model....for some strange reason. :p

I've a 320D se, no problem with the image that others suggest exist. As for the spec, I would have to admit that it is pretty poor vs the opposition, but what ever mag you read, they nearly always pick the BM 320D over the others, and they outsell the others, so can't be all bad.

One last point, I would imagine that it is pretty hard not to get a good car these days for £21K, so pick what you like. ;)

I've got a 320d as well and it is the best car I've owned and far better than the 3.0 V6 S type I had previously. Really well built, handles great, pulls the trailer no problems.

And I average about 55 mpg!

Not owned BMW's before but would definitely have another. The ES is good value

MikeW

. but given that it has now done 38K in 9 months I wouldn't have anything else.

75k in 14 months,Bora Sport 150 ,you know it makes sense,low profile and goes like s**t off a greased shovel :devil:  :devil:

I used to have a Bora TDi 150, which was lovely, but im not sure if its big enough for me now.

:p

Been there, done that!!

I totally agree though, very fast car (for a diesel tin top! ), really enjoyed my time with the Bora. Shame about the wood effect trim though - surely ally would be more fitting in a Sport model? Great seats too, and loads of toys!

Just too small for me and my (now) expanded family!

Its a shame that the next size up is sooooooooo Boring in comparison! :arse:

One other car to consider......possibly is the Saab 93 2.2tdi. I had a look, big spacious well equipped and not too sluggish. Just drove a bit too soft for my liking.

I remember the emissions being high which make the tax a bit higher, but they are a rare sight (comparably) and probably worth a good look. Although I am sure someone will be along soon to explain that it is a vectra in wolfs clothes

One from left field :- VW Touran 2.0Tdi 140 . Roomy and a lot faster than than the Tdi 130. Best of all complies with EEC IV so you avoid the 3% surcharge for diesels under the Company Car tax rules. ;)

Personal choice would be A4 Tdi 130. :D  :D

Vectra !!!!!

Actually seriously a group of us went to  le mans last year.  I could not drive so hitched a lift there and back in friends of friends cars. rep diesel vectra there and back in a diesel audi A4 both less than a year old.

The engine in the Vectra was much much quieter.  I think 2.2 dti rather than 1.9 and I think benefitting from being a later more modern design. Rest of the car seemed pretty good also.  Just the image I guess.

David

Mercedes C Class?

If your firm is into contract hire/leasing for this then the Merc will be the cheapest car mentioned so far. Residuals are huge for Diesel Merc's - even with an intergallactic mileage attached.