• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

My claim to fame

Captain Colonial

One year at the Edinburgh festival they had one of those 'audience with' shows in one of the cinemas; it was with Gerry Anderson.

They started the show by showing the start of the film 'Thunderbird Six'.  They stopped it after about 5 minutes. 

There was an outcry from the audience.  Gerry Anderson came on and jokingly said words to the effect of 'do you want to watch the film or hear me'.

It was a near thing but the audience eventually went for Gerry 😁

D

9 minutes ago, p k said:

A lot of the filming , choice of voice actors was affected by the need to sell the series to American television

One story that he told was that when they were planning Stingray he said that he wanted the main puppet to look 'a bit like James Garner'.  He was a bit taken aback by the result but decided to go with it 😁

D

Some of you may recognise this guy in my lounge one Christmas about 20 years ago.

Founder member and lead singer with the Housemartins, later The Beautiful South, and now has teamed up again with former band member Jackie Abbot.

Paul Heaton was my Niece's partner (also in the photo) for about 15 years and they have 2 children together, we used to see him a couple of times a year at family events.

DSCF0055.thumb.JPG.b89633db0aa6707cd7b31e1c3f03956d.JPG

• Like 1

I can't find those missing albums at all, so my perhaps most stupid claim to fame was - Locking Russ Abbott out of his own opening night party !. It was tradition ( and maybe still is ?) that after an opening night of a new season all the cast and crew get invited to a all night party at a local venue, well all was going great when someone shouted over "Hey Rich shut that fire escape will you, this is a private function " seeing this request came from the stage manager , I naturally obliged, as at the time I had just spoken to someone within the building next to said open door.  I closed it firmly and its locking mech engaged ,I then walked away and chatted at the other end of the room. Then all of a sudden, huge bangs from said door from outside, was Russ who had nipped out to get something from his car , I don't think the stage manage admitted that I had closed it , and Russ never questioned me on it the next evening in his dressing room ( after a bad night with a radio mic) , Sorry Russ if you ever read this it was Roy Murray that asked me to close it, lol.

2 hours ago, Mark Stanton said:

Loved all the Gerry Anderson stuff as a kid, bit too young for Super car era and too old for Terrahawks...... my earliest memories were of Fireball XL5. Thunderbirds and Joe 90 were my faves, with Stingray, Captain Scarlet not far behind those Aquaphibians and Mysterons were proper baddies.................... and yes I still have the theme tunes as my phone ring tones 🤣

We are definitely brothers from another mother 😄

On 21/09/2023 at 09:31, Captain Colonial said:

I was once a roadie for the band REM.

Here’s a photo of me with the band:

IMG_1030.jpeg

(That’s me in the corner.)

Managed an independent record store during this time. We had a visit from Bruce Dickinson & Thunder. I haven’t aged one bit. “That’s me in the corner” 🤣

IMG_8602.jpeg

IMG_8603.jpeg

• Haha 2

A few decades ago we were lunching at the Witchery in Edinburgh.  When we were leaving Frank Bruno followed us out.  I held the door open and he said 'thank you'.

I suspect that he often looks back on this encounter with fond memories.

D

• Haha 3

On 03/10/2023 at 17:39, Blatman said:

We are definitely brothers from another mother 😄

But which Thunderbird did you want to fly. Scott always got there first in Thunderbird one, but was pretty hopeless. I wanted to be Virgil in Thunderbird two, he had all the toys to play with and inevitably it was those who saved the day.

Also loved Parker with his Dennis Healey eyebrows and dry sense of humour

Virgil for me to, he had so much more interesting stuff 👍

When I was a kid, whenever we played Batman, I had to be Robin. And when we played Thunderbirds, I was Parker. 

Can't work out why. 

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, jeff oakley said:

But which Thunderbird did you want to fly. Scott always got there first in Thunderbird one, but was pretty hopeless. I wanted to be Virgil in Thunderbird two, he had all the toys to play with and inevitably it was those who saved the day.

Also loved Parker with his Dennis Healey eyebrows and dry sense of humour

Any of them, including any of the vehicles in the pods (hover bikes anyone?) and of course Fireflash! Always had a soft spot for Thunderbird 3 though. He didn't go out much but when he did, it was space travel. Who wouldn't? 😄

And then of course there was Stingray. Cool as f... and Captain Scarlet, just as cool. Why aren't all fighter jets (and their pilots) modeled on the Angels?

• Haha 1