• Malvern, Help Registration Closed

My claim to fame

Captain Colonial

4 hours ago, AndrewBClarke said:

How about this one - when I was a child (a long time ago), our neighbour was the model maker for the original Thunderbirds. I had the original pink Rolls Royce, Thunderbird 2 and Thunderbird 4. Played with them until they were knackered and then thrown away. Don’t really know why they were coloured as the filming at the time was black and white!!

In the photo below, my brother is the elder less good looking one 😁

IMG_1297.thumb.jpeg.ad27d68c7c4f828b516777b25193e59e.jpeg

Wow, those would be seriously collectible now. Kerching £££

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Kingster said:

Wow, those would be seriously collectible now. Kerching £££

Andrew and his brother, or the toys?

• Haha 3

My claim to fame is my English Teacher at college was Mark Knopfler - I passed my O-Level but my englsh is stil crarp 🤣 His music lessons were awesome though, sadly I never done those - never knew who he was at the time until he became famous.

Best I can do is that Martin Clunes lives near us (in Beaminster), and I saw him doing his shopping in Waitrose Crewkerne this morning 😊. He looked a lot happier than Doc Martin, I’m pleased to say 👍

I wnt to get the windows tinted on my old 205gti back in 2000 ish.

And there was a gizza there getting his new fancy rangerover tinted.

We had a chat about cars in the waiting room, he made me a lovely cup of tea.

Then he left to drop off his car and bring another car back that he had also just brought.

I remember thinking "blimey, he must be loaded"

While gone the guy who owned the place started questioning me on everything we talked about.

Turns out he played for man utd and he must have been a superfan.

Cant remember his name but he had bright ginger hair.

Seemed like a nice guy tbh, but maybe it was because we didnt talk shop

My dad was this guys DJ and Compere, mid 70's to mid 80's

He once took us about manchester in his cady and roller.

He also used to give me a few £ to spend on the machines in the club. I thought it was great.

Was years later told by my dad that he was super tight  and never gave anything away, he owned the machines i put he money in lol.

I wouldve been about 7-11 years old at the time IMG-20230806-WA0031.thumb.jpeg.dfc86fb44a96a2098df3b00516a77834.jpeg

Got a photo round here of me with Doug Mountjoy from about 1976...

And back in the day I used to work for The Sun newspaper so I have met Sam Fox, Suzanne Mizzi, Kathy Lloyd and Linda Lusardi, as well as the guy who took all their pics, Beverley Goodway. After that I went to work for Sky TV and have been in close proximity to loads of news and sports anchors and reporters, and whatever guests would occasionally take a wrong turn and ask for directions cos it was clear my office was not the green room. It was much more beige...

Just now, Blatman said:

Got a photo round here of me with Doug Mountjoy from about 1976...

And back in the day I used to work for The Sun newspaper so I have met Sam Fox, Suzanne Mizzi, Kathy Lloyd and Linda Lusardi, as well as the guy who took all their pics, Beverley Goodway. After that I went to work for Sky TV and have been in close proximity to loads of news and sports anchors and reporters, and whatever guests would occasionally take a wrong turn and ask for directions cos it was clear my office was not the green room. It was much more beige...

Page 3 girls , I see - any stories? I have posted before about my past with the stars of the 80's, so I haven't posted the same thing again here.

2 minutes ago, Stuart said:

I once sang Wild Thing onstage with The Troggs. Guess that demonstrates just how ancient I am...... 

Not ancient  Stuart - Mature.

• Like 1

Not really any "stories". Actually they were all very pleasant, friendly and down to earth when I met them. Some of the news people not so much...

• Like 1

I'll see if I can find my old pics, but I know an album or two went "missing" during a few house moves, so no guarantees.

On 21/09/2023 at 16:48, AndrewBClarke said:

Don’t really know why they were coloured as the filming at the time was black and white!!

Don't want to start an argument here but "Supermarionation" which was what they called the filming process, was in colour and quite revolutionary for it's day.

A 1960s supplement of the British trade newspaper Television Mail described Supermarionation as a "technical process" whose main features, besides electronic puppet control, were use of 35 mm colour photography, 1⁄5-scale filming stages, back projection, live-action inserts and live action-style special effects, and video assist to guide the crew.[

From here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supermarionation

And a box-set of Thunderbirds DVD's sit proudly on my DVD case, every episode in "living" colour 😄

If anyone is nostalgic for those Saturday mornings when Thunderbirds was THE most impotant thing on TV, then maybe pop over here for a wallow... https://shop.gerryanderson.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw1OmoBhDXARIsAAAYGSE_GU7GpBiOzSdpfwLooGGE_yxM0jqwwKA8MKZnJDa4S49eTceark4aAr4LEALw_wcB

One of my favourite TV shows was Thunderbirds as a kid, no clue when it was aired in the UK though, the other was Joe 90, I got given his car thing for Christmas one year.  The wings pulled out of the side of it for when it flew, I tested this - it didn't fly... I do recall my mother tearing a strip off me for breaking a wing off even before the New Year had arrived, the stupid things you remember.

Loved all the Gerry Anderson stuff as a kid, bit too young for Super car era and too old for Terrahawks...... my earliest memories were of Fireball XL5. Thunderbirds and Joe 90 were my faves, with Stingray, Captain Scarlet not far behind those Aquaphibians and Mysterons were proper baddies.................... and yes I still have the theme tunes as my phone ring tones 🤣