Getting in to a Westy with the roof on

DWaldie

When I bought my Westy two years ago I fitted the roof to make sure it was OK. It's like new, and I think I found out why! 

So, I'm in my late fifties, slim and fit, but can't find an easy way of getting in and out. I've just watched Bagpuss's YouTube clip about his Verona trip and three out of four of the guys managed to negotiate the roof. 

So, any tips? 

• Left leg first
  •  Head and shoulder next so that your torso is leaning on the tunnel and your head is on the passenger side.
  • pull your right leg in
  • Then sit down.
  • Like 3

I'll be trying this out in the garage tomorrow. The only way I could escape wss to "fall out of it". Is there a more elegant method. 

1 minute ago, DWaldie said:

I'll be trying this out in the garage tomorrow. The only way I could escape wss to "fall out of it". Is there a more elegant method. 

If you want to avoid wiping your :arse: on a wet and muddy rear arch then head first and fall out with your hands on the ground is the cleanest way I found.

I have been contemplating having my original Westfield hood modified to include the zip out section like the SoftBitsforsevens hood. Just need to find a yacht chandler/ sail maker as they use the same type of material/zips on sail covers.

A removable steering wheel also makes a massive difference especially when getting out of the car, if you’re not quite so flexible.

13 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:
  • Left leg first
  •  Head and shoulder next so that your torso is leaning on the tunnel and your head is on the passenger side.
  • pull your right leg in
  • Then sit down.

You will need to detach all these body parts carefully first of course- a good angle grinder helps.

Having an assistant to place them into the car afterwards is a must.

• Haha 4

This problem is not unique to Westfields/7's... I had the opportunity to sit in a genuine Lancia Stratos yesterday. The entry/exit process is remarkably similar and in no way describable as graceful! Being 6' 4'' it's quite a challenge but I was surprised about how well I fitted once I was in there. Although I think I'd be trigging lots of random indication/windscreen wiping each time I moved my legs when driving....

17 minutes ago, Euan Hoosearmy said:

This problem is not unique to Westfields/7's... I had the opportunity to sit in a genuine Lancia Stratos yesterday. The entry/exit process is remarkably similar and in no way describable as graceful! Being 6' 4'' it's quite a challenge but I was surprised about how well I fitted once I was in there. Although I think I'd be trigging lots of random indication/windscreen wiping each time I moved my legs when driving....

I went to see one of the first Lotus Elises at a showroom when they first appeared.  This was before they scalloped the chassis in the door area.

It was a challenge to get into the driver's seat, but I managed without an excessive amount of drama.

But I was totally defeated by getting out again.  I ended up diving out head first and doing a forward roll across the showroom floor.

I think that was the point when the salesman realised that he wasn't going to get a sale.

David

• Haha 1

I'm loving this thread. 

Let's just say I've had some 'issues' getting in and out of my car since fitting the roll cage!

I'm going back out to the garage now to try it like the guy in the video....

Love the thread, making me laugh just thinking about it.

So... Left leg in & on the car floor, right leg on the ground, duck your head under the roll cage side bar, head up into the hole above. Then left hand on the tunnel top and the other on the side of the car, right leg is still firmly on the ground at this point.... lower yourself in and at the same time, with a bit of right leg flexibility swing that in too, missing the horn switch as you go, otherwise you bring attention to yourself 😂 (done that a few times)....

As Dave says, its an awful lot easier with a a removable steering wheel... How on earth I'd get in without I don't know.  I'm 6ft2in & 19stone so not a light weight 😁

I've never tried it with a roof on yet, that's to come in the next few weeks.... so might have a few issues with the head popping up into the roll cage hole bit... Sounds like I may need a rubber neck 🤣

Pfft, this is just the easy bit. Now try getting into a Westfield, hood up, when you have a passenger!

• Haha 4