Speed awareness course

Marcus Barlow - Show and Events Co-ordinator

My mate at work booked to do the course but got the date wrong and turned up a day late, he told the instructor it was because he had really slowed down since getting the ticket! She was not impressed and told him he had to leave and re-book, and pay the fee again!

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, corsechris said:

Is it just me that finds it disappointing that very few people seem to actually learn their lesson on these courses? Evidenced by the number who have done more than one.

(only slightly tongue in cheek by the way!)

Anecdotally, a lot of people in Scotland are getting caught by the constant fiddling with speed limits that is going on at the moment.  Any work that happens on a road seems to also include reducing the speed limit.  In addition urban speed limits are gradually all getting put down to 20. 

D

Don't get me wrong here, I’m not trying to preach!  

Due to a closure of the M5, I was forced to go through the middle of Bristol, in torrential rain, at early O’clock to get to the airport. The unfamiliar roads, the horrendous conditions and the absurd number of times limits changed from 40 to 20 to 30 I was fully expecting to have been caught out at some stage. Somehow I wasn’t. It does feel at times as if the signage has been explicitly designed to catch drivers out.

Makes me glad I live where I do and rarely have need to go anywhere near places like that.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I've just got my first speeding NOIP in over 50 years of motoring .

Clocked me at 79 mph on 70 mph dual carriageway 

Cant decide weather to take the 3 points or do the SA coarse and wonder what the pro's and con's of each are ? 

Pay your money and do the course, save your points you never know you may need them in the future! I was surprised how unaware some drivers were when I did my course.

• Thanks 1

Do the course. I have done "more than one" and I find them very interesting if you have the frame of mind that you actually want to learn something. 

• Like 1

I did the course... and both instructors had also done the course 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

79 in a 70 limit, you might not get the choice. 

If you do, pay the money and do the course.

Taking points will impact your insurance. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pistonbroke said:

Yes 79 , but your supposed to be allowed 10% + 2mph = 79 mph !

I strongly advise you not to try that defence, because it’s not only wrong, it’s self-incriminating.  The speed limit is 70mph, full stop.  Anything above that is entirely at the officer’s discretion.  There is no +10% in the statute books.  The fact you believed the misinformation is exactly what sadly landed you where you are.  In other words, you’re nicked, old son. 🤬

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I was provided with a photo which had the calibrated speed rounded up to 0.5 mph..

mb speeding 2023 05 28.jpg

I often compare it to my Nordschleife photo not sure if I was going much faster TBH 🤣

nbr.jpg

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, pistonbroke said:

Yes 79 , but your supposed to be allowed 10% + 2mph = 79 mph !

Nope, as Scott said that's just one of several similar but different arbitrary rule's of thumb a few different constabularies use, legally the limit is exactly what the sign or type of road indicates it should be and not a jot more. And as Scott also said, using it in an actual court of law as excuse/justification can go down particularly badly. (happened to a family member some years ago, got carried away on the stand as he realised he'd almost talked his way off the full fine, through that sort of quote in as the coup de grace and lost the judge immediately, getting a somewhat bigger fine instead than would have been otherwise the case.

I remember as a teenager going out for a run on my BSA C15 (250cc) bike after rebuilding the engine (all by mine own self).

After a head-on-the-bars flat out test run (my usual running in technique of course) I heard siren as I slowed down.

”Do you have any idea how fast you were going son?” says plod. “No…” I sheepishly replied. “86mph!” He says.

”Wow! Really!” I replied almost jumping with excitement as I was amazed that the old girl managed such a feat. 

Realising this was not what he wanted to hear I quickly reverted to sheepish mode and got a slap on the wrists.

Ahhh… those were the days…

• Haha 3

A bit more advice if you get pulled over:

> Do not say anything like “I didn’t know I was going that fast / what the speed limit was / I was just going with the flow of traffic” - EVER.  That’s a gateway to a charge of driving without due care and attention, or even careless or dangerous driving, to which you just confessed.  (Police often have body cams activated, so it’s admissible evidence.)

> If the officer asks “Do you know why I pulled you over?”, the only answer that you should give is “I’m happy to cooperate, but I’d prefer it if you told me.”  Saying “no” is again a possible gateway to an additional charge of driving without due care and attention, or even careless or dangerous driving.  The reason not to say “yes” should be blindingly obvious.

> When pulled over, no matter how aggrieved or not you might be, shut your car off, smile, be polite, and say nothing except “How may I help you?”.  Hand the officer your license, take your lumps with a smile and be on your way.  The hard shoulder is not the place to argue your case, even if you’re in the right - that’s for you to do in court.

> Arguing with a copper at the side of the road is like sticking a huge neon sign on top of your head reading “INSPECT MY CAR FOR DEFECTS TO ADD TO MY TICKET”.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1