Sharing what you’ve just done. Not questions. No comments required.

DamperMan

Heading home from Dartford on Friday, my exhaust started sounding horrendous in the last 30 mins and I thought a bolt had come loose. Actually it had sheared off, no doubt stressed by my continuing to drive on our recent Exmoor trip after my exhaust bobbin had broken. Well worth it as I really enjoyed that day, but a pain to get out. I tried an extractor set I already had, but the drill didn’t touch the bolt, just skated around, so I bought some 8% cobalt drills and the 2.5mm went straight through, no problem! After that, the extractor did its job though would have been easier if I had got the hole more central! All set for Malvern now, ideally I need some new gaskets to arrive but could manage with old if pushed.

IMG_9052.jpeg

IMG_9053.jpeg

IMG_9054.jpeg

IMG_9055.jpeg

IMG_9056.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sometimes the fluted type extractors work better on smaller sizes as they don't tend to spread to broken piece and make it tighter. 

3 hours ago, Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset said:

Heading home from Dartford on Friday, my exhaust started sounding horrendous in the last 30 mins and I thought a bolt had come loose. Actually it had sheared off, no doubt stressed by my continuing to drive on our recent Exmoor trip after my exhaust bobbin had broken. Well worth it as I really enjoyed that day, but a pain to get out. I tried an extractor set I already had, but the drill didn’t touch the bolt, just skated around, so I bought some 8% cobalt drills and the 2.5mm went straight through, no problem! After that, the extractor did its job though would have been easier if I had got the hole more central! All set for Malvern now, ideally I need some new gaskets to arrive but could manage with old if pushed.

IMG_9052.jpeg

IMG_9053.jpeg

IMG_9054.jpeg

IMG_9055.jpeg

IMG_9056.jpeg

Never known one of those to break Stuart, been through plenty of gaskets though in the past, I always keep a set in the boot and another in the garage , I treat them as consumables now... Was that a bolt or a stud?, should be studs really with the brass nuts. Hope its sorted soon.

1 hour ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

Never known one of those to break Stuart, been through plenty of gaskets though in the past, I always keep a set in the boot and another in the garage , I treat them as consumables now... Was that a bolt or a stud?, should be studs really with the brass nuts. Hope its sorted soon.

Probably because you aren’t stupid enough to drive with a broken bobbin 🤪🤣

On my car, cylinders 1 and 4 are studs with brass nuts, 2 and 3 use bolts. It actually makes it a bit easier fitting it back on, lining up eight studs can be a pain I imagine.

• Haha 1

I see why 2&3 were bolts, but with care and patience studs are possible, if a bit fiddley to fit the nuts ( worse with wrap on - ME )  

57 minutes ago, Richard (OldStager) said:

worse with wrap on

Yes, I have wrap on mine too and can see it would be tricky with studs/nuts

8 hours ago, Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset said:

IMG_9052.jpeg

IMG_9053.jpeg

IMG_9054.jpeg

IMG_9055.jpeg

IMG_9056.jpeg

Looks like a tricky little job. Well done sorting it out

• Thanks 1

Fed up climbing around the car in the garage when trying to work on it.  Also fed up starting jobs in the drive only to have to quickly cover the car.  Decided to treat her to a carport.

20240602_192126.jpeg

20240604_154121.jpeg

• Like 6

That's excellent, wish I could do that with mine but my garage opens onto the road not a private driveway darnit 

Track walk at Thruxton, BTCC weekend 👌🏼 wish it would warm up 🥶

IMG_8660.jpeg.c2b644e8fc375950bc7be567bb96d4fe.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Matt_S said:

wish it would warm up 🥶

Maybe run a lap? 🤣

I’ll be there Sunday too, love the BTCC.

How did you get to do a track walk @Matt_S?

@Paul Baker Not sure to be honest, I think it might only be a Friday night thing, it was open from 7pm.

• Like 1