Sharing what you’ve just done. Not questions. No comments required.

DamperMan

Doing some hedge trimming and fence repairs. Yuk. 

Technically, it’s the neighbours responsibility for the fence, but circumstances and my personal preference mean I’m doing it. Neighbours are  perfectly happy for me to do it(!).

Did a section a while back where some panels had totally rotted away but more is now falling down by the drive at the side of the house, and conifers my side of the boundary are encroaching so need to go. 

As far as I can tell, a fence was put up back in the distant past, then the neighbour at the time planted a row of conifers all the way from their house to the far end of the property….then previous owners of my house planted a second row from a little further down to the garage, sandwiching part of the original fence. This means that most of the of fence isn’t visible from the neighbours side, but most of it is from mine.  At the bottom, past the garage down to the end, again, no conifers my side so I had the joy of replacing their rotten fence. 

This second row of conifers by the drive, has, as they do, encroached and needs to go. 

First step, remove our conifers……

This was the first half hour or so as I got used to the chainsaw. 

IMG_4057.thumb.jpeg.9d90e2caadb4410938d3de73c4f18183.jpeg

Remains of the old fence held up by the conifers. 

Have now removed all 50 feet or so and all the trunks & roots. Generated about 18 bulk bags of crap so far, but all the old fence and a fair bit more trimming still to go as I need to make sure the conifers that remain don’t overhang or interfere with the new fence, plus any more rubble etc that planting the new fence generates.  Going to need a big skip….. 

Somewhat troubling is there is a similar situation the other side, but this time the conifers are all my side of the boundary, and there are about 100 feet of them. Gulp. I’m too old for this shizz! (But too tight and too picky to pay anyone to do it)

• Like 3

Found a Westfield replacement. 

Screenshot_20240422_083516_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Robin Parker (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO said:

Found a Westfield replacement. 

Screenshot_20240422_083516_Gallery.jpg

must have been a lot different to the crossflow @Robin Parker (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO could you handle the power and cornering speeds OK? 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Marcus Barlow - Show and Events Co-ordinator said:

must have been a lot different to the crossflow @Robin Parker (Red Spider) - Yorkshire AO could you handle the power and cornering speeds OK? 

Moved on to this next. 

Screenshot_20240423_005255_Gallery.jpg

Something Westfield related for me finally. I received the replacement pushrod for my AP Racing Master cylinder so replaced that and got it all put back together. Hopefully 🤞  can get the brakes bled today and if the weather is good take it to the meet tomorrow night.

I’ll post up separately with more on what I’ve done. Hopefully my pedals are finally well positioned and I’ll have a firm brake pedal 👍🤞

IMG_7752.jpeg

IMG_7838.jpeg

IMG_7840.jpeg

IMG_7841.jpeg

IMG_7842.jpeg

• Like 3

I blame @Crash test dummy.  Just finished the painstakingly pain in the butt job and replaced the floor.PXL_20240423_193334565.thumb.jpg.55b43c55cc94f3f2b8fab08215a911d7.jpg

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, NickBW said:

I blame @Crash test dummy.  Just finished the painstakingly pain in the butt job and replaced the floor.PXL_20240423_193334565.thumb.jpg.55b43c55cc94f3f2b8fab08215a911d7.jpg

And I don't driver her in the dark but I am impressed with the lights!

PXL_20240423_192620071.thumb.jpg.8c57b522ca84cd4bf8944815c7414184.jpg

• Like 5

Last piece of the jigsaw today. My spacers arrived in time to get the fitted while I had the wheels off. All done, car is back on four wheels! Rear arches filled much better now.

I’ll take it for a quick test this lunchtime, and if it stops, and the rears don’t fall off, I’ll brave it to Cullompton for our meet tonight!! Perhaps not on the M5 though! 🤪🤪

IMG_7870.thumb.jpeg.4bcd27dcbd8588c9da486810e4776b67.jpeg

IMG_7866.thumb.jpeg.612aa5bfe3e3e60f3349ee24f02a0df2.jpeg

IMG_7867.thumb.jpeg.b3b14b9682aaf6f73ce1d2ae04bfb8ba.jpeg

IMG_7869.thumb.jpeg.90f4b6f42762288b2222370f44afe574.jpeg

• Like 6

Test drive successful! All four wheels stayed on, car ran well and the brakes are a revelation! Need to get used to a higher, firmer pedal but it actually now stops how it always should have done 👍👍

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset said:

Last piece of the jigsaw today. My spacers arrived in time to get the fitted while I had the wheels off. All done, car is back on four wheels! Rear arches filled much better now.

I’ll take it for a quick test this lunchtime, and if it stops, and the rears don’t fall off, I’ll brave it to Cullompton for our meet tonight!! Perhaps not on the M5 though! 🤪🤪

IMG_7870.thumb.jpeg.4bcd27dcbd8588c9da486810e4776b67.jpeg

IMG_7866.thumb.jpeg.612aa5bfe3e3e60f3349ee24f02a0df2.jpeg

IMG_7867.thumb.jpeg.b3b14b9682aaf6f73ce1d2ae04bfb8ba.jpeg

IMG_7869.thumb.jpeg.90f4b6f42762288b2222370f44afe574.jpeg

Are the spacers held on by using longer wheel bolts?

I have spacers on my Jag but they use a different system because the wheels are held on by nuts instead of bolts. The spacers are first bolted to the hub then the wheels are bolted to the spacers. 

Another form of tracked machinery. 

Screenshot_20240424_174445_Gallery.jpg

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Flying Carrot Steve said:

Are the spacers held on by using longer wheel bolts?

I have spacers on my Jag but they use a different system because the wheels are held on by nuts instead of bolts. The spacers are first bolted to the hub then the wheels are bolted to the spacers. 

Yes, longer bolts. Standard are 25mm so I bought 45mm ones and they worked fine. Somehow I preferred the thought of direct connection to the hub but I’ve know idea if one method is better than the other?

1 hour ago, Stuart Davis (fatblokestu) AO - Devon & Somerset said:

Yes, longer bolts. Standard are 25mm so I bought 45mm ones and they worked fine. Somehow I preferred the thought of direct connection to the hub but I’ve know idea if one method is better than the other?

I think as long as you good quality spacers they are both fine. I've had no issues at all with mine on the Jag. 

• Like 1

I've got some similar 16mm ones and they've been absolutely fine

• Thanks 1

I used 15mm spacers on the rear of mine when I bought some wheels and tyres that had an offset that much different from the originals. Longer studs were needed as only eight turns of the nuts seemed marginal. There was debate on here at the time about how many turns were required as minimum for optimum strength. There was no firm conclusion so I thought overkill would avoid any other 'kill'. If 'blind' nuts were fitted, though, bottoming-out of the nuts was a risk if not allowed for.

• Like 4