Shell V Power, availability issue?

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

Went to fill the Westfield last week with it's preferred V-Power diet, and the local station (Middlewich/Cheshire) was out. I didn't think much of it at the time, assuming they were just waiting for a delivery.

However since then, while out and about for work, I've stopped at and/or passed a few shell garages, including one near Birkdale in Southport  and one on the run into Manchester yesterday, all the ones I stopped at and a few or the others were out of V-Power Petrol, (and some V-Power diesel, too).

I've not really seen much online, though Shell do have a fairly recent announcement of a new formula V Power coming. Have I just been unlucky, and it's a coincidence, or has anyone else noticed a shortage/know anything more?

Someone on a BMW forum I'm on mentioned the same thing... had a look on the Shell twitter page and lots of people are complaining 🤷‍♂️

Didn't think to look on Twitter, doh!

- I know there are alternative high Octane fuels, it's just I'm mapped specifically for V Power, and one thing the Alpine jaunt showed me, was that everywhere i went, the car always ran well on a V Power tank full, while some of the alternatives could be a bit variable. (One was particularly bad, so much so, it was either very, very old, or possibly even miss-labelled (and charged) on the pump.

• Like 1

The Tesco Momentum 99 octane gets good reviews and is supposedly made by the same people as V-Power, might be worth a try if you are stuck

• Thanks 1

Thanks Rob, might get a jerrycans worth - I'm just under half a tank in the Westfield, but obviously, the more I drive round in it looking, the more urgent it gets when the garage has none!

Like you, I've always heard good comments about it, though not the manufacturer being the same. That's interesting, but hopefully not a sign of limited availability!

• Like 1

The Shell station in Uttoxeter (just off the A50) was out of 3 out of 4 fuels a week or so ago, but when I went in a couple of days ago they had more stock.

• Like 1

I always use Tesco Momentum 99, and have run many cars on it. The octane is about as high as you can get anywhere

• Thanks 1

...right, where did  I put that jerrycan!

Interesting. I’ve been trying to stick with Esso Supreme+ 99 because I understand it has no ethanol in it. Is that the same for other 99 products?

28 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

...right, where did  I put that jerrycan!

@Greenstreak-Andy D has one brimmed full with 'fresh air' usually! 😉 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, fatblokestu said:

Interesting. I’ve been trying to stick with Esso Supreme+ 99 because I understand it has no ethanol in it. Is that the same for other 99 products?

I think it's the only one. And that only applies to England (& Wales I think) - there's ethanol in it in Scotland 

Well the Tesco 99 Ron test will have to wait; nearest one to me is Crewe, and there's a somewhat off the beaten track Shell garage ten minutes from it, so I tried there first - most of the V Power pumps were off, but there was one, so grabbed a 20 litre can full. 

Asking the cashier, he reckoned they didn't have too much left now. (He wasn't that helpful to be honest, didn't know much), he'd no idea when the next V Power delivery would be, but wasn't expecting anything in the next week!

Once I've filled the Westfield, think I'll keep the Jerrycan in the car, and just keep topping it back up to 20 litres as and when I see any fuel, either V-Power, or Tesco's.

2 hours ago, fatblokestu said:

All Super is allowed up to 5% max Ethanol - including Esso Supreme + 99, although you might get lucky with 0% in some areas. https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol