Shell V Power, availability issue?

Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

1 hour ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

All Super is allowed up to 5% max Ethanol - including Esso Supreme + 99, although you might get lucky with 0% in some areas. https://www.esso.co.uk/en-gb/fuels/petrol

Yes, but it says it’s Ethanol free except in certain areas. I’m Somerset which, according to this it’s should be ok.

8CFD2057-A127-4D77-A4C3-8C634209A937.jpeg

Yes, I read that. Seems a bit cheeky for them to claim ethanol free except for such a large area as Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland!

On that basis I could claim to be alcohol-free except for beer, wine and gin 🙂 

• Haha 3

Are any of the other ‘Super 99s’ ethanol free?

• 3 weeks later...

After missing a run thanks  to my en-route stop being out of V Power and having to turn back, with low fuel....

Tesco run done; "Finest" 99 Octane installed. Car's running rather nicely on it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

After missing a run thanks  to my en-route stop being out of V Power and having to turn back, with low fuel....

Tesco run done; "Finest" 99 Octane installed. Car's running rather nicely on it.

The TVR likes Tesco 99 as well

• Like 1

It's a shame our Tesco insisted on building speed humps the size of the Himalayas between the road and the forecourt, I can't get in to try it. I tend to use Texaco Supreme 99, just because it is all that is available at a forecourt I can access. The V8 seems to like it, but then it isn't picky.

So, sorry in advance for this daft question.......

I have always stayed away from standard supermarket fuel/diesel, due to what been said about the quality in the media and what was shown of 5th Gear.

We have just changed our daily drive tiptop and was told we should only run it on high-octane fuel.

So the question is, is the tesco supermarket 99 just as good as say Shell V Power etc?

• Like 1

Some high performance cars only make rated power on high octane, but that's quite unusual - and they should still be perfectly safe to use on standard 95RON with active knock control systems. 

20+ years ago supermarket fuels didn't all have detergent packs and this gave problems like intake valve carbon deposits and rough running. Nowadays I believe that pretty much all UK fuel is good quality - I use PetrolPrices app and shop wherever is cheapest...

Regarding Tesco Momentum 99, most Ford ST products have been developed using it because that's the closest fuel station to Dunton in Essex 🙂 

• Like 5