Cobra 427 Build

KugaWestie

7 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Sorry Gary, been missing this and just been catching back up. With regards to the top hose on the rad. My TVR had an expansion vessel/ pressure cap/ highest point pot bolted to the chassis , which then cleared any air from the engine when running. You may have water/ air bleeding fun , unless I have missed something

Thanks. I have a couple of ideas to deal with this. 

1. I have a bleed tee that I can include in a heater hose and keep it high.

2. I think I can position my header/expansion tank against the bulkhead above the gearbox, and this will be the highest point in the cooling system.

So hopefully one of those will sort out the burping ok

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

Tonight I have been polishing my pipe ooooeeerrr.

IMG_3716.thumb.jpg.fe64e766cc2b2e6b1ec7d367f9c3405c.jpg

IMG_3717.thumb.jpg.052568191a27fb8457775cb41da09750.jpg

IMG_3718.thumb.jpg.1a676d204f4e0cc9c13292aaa28e38c9.jpg

Both rear sections are done now and I am quite pleased with how they have come up. I probably spent around an hour on each one

I got the rest of the steering column route sorted out tonight. Next is to work out some mounting bracketry for a pillow block bearing. I would have liked a bit less angle on the central UJ but the route is really the only way it can go.

IMG_3726.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

image.jpg

On 22/01/2019 at 20:41, KugaWestie said:

So with the fuel lines complete it was time to bring out the injection system. So here it is plumbed in.

IMG_3423.thumb.JPG.a50bf53dfafe7ea4e91bb3ac8a4be62f.JPG

IMG_3422.thumb.JPG.c1fe4e821a687bfd820be39bc6d03853.JPG

Went to see a mate yesterday to help out on a couple of small jobs on his GT40. He had the engine built and set up in the US. Uses the next size up of this system (as it’s a bigger engine and is making about 430bhp.) very popular over there.

Looks like the steering shaft wants to occupy the same space as the engine mount doesn’t it.  Tricky.

Is There any particular reason for wanting to use a pillow block bearing on the column? Or would a rose joint be easier to fit in that space?

10 hours ago, corsechris said:

Went to see a mate yesterday to help out on a couple of small jobs on his GT40. He had the engine built and set up in the US. Uses the next size up of this system (as it’s a bigger engine and is making about 430bhp.) very popular over there.

Yes it is predominantly USA used.

Was the engine running? 

7 hours ago, Mark (smokey mow) said:

Is There any particular reason for wanting to use a pillow block bearing on the column? Or would a rose joint be easier to fit in that space?

In my mind a pillow block will be more robust if I can make it fit. My back up plan is a rose joint :yes:

53 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

Yes it is predominantly USA used.

Was the engine running? 

Engine has been bedded in and dynoed before it was shipped, but not yet running on the GT40. He isn’t using timing control by the way, it relies on the curve in the dizzy rather than being 3D.

Re the steering shafts, car's I've had have used both. Probably the most convoluted was the Marcos. Testing my memory again here, but IIRC, it had two rod ends as bearings. When we got the car, the steering was pretty bad in a number of ways, one of them being how notchy it was. Didn't take too long to discover it had been assembled with all the joints a bit out. Was a PITA to put right but was better once all the UJs were exactly aligned. The rod-ends as bearings were fine, but did complicate the assembly at times as they were threaded into bosses welded to the car. I've used a 22mm rod end as an upper support on the current project and the same applies - it screws into a bush welded to the chassis so assembly has to be done in the right order, and although it's easy to adjust the thing in and out, that's only with no steering shaft present of course.

Also had one that used those two-piece plastic anti roll bar mounts. Wasn't all that happy about longevity, but it worked well enough. No idea what IVA would make of that method now though?

I guess use whichever solution gives you the simplest mounting and takes up the least space!

I picked up the exhaust parts I made and tacked. All nicely tig welded now.

Next job is to clean them up

IMG_3742.thumb.JPG.35ac68ab2ef7ef9d57598026f38c9067.JPG

IMG_3741.thumb.JPG.45bf3dbe01a19e529381d7e8d93cfede.JPG

IMG_3740.thumb.JPG.b07c51a5c2dae4dd84369e02f1062777.JPG

Steering column complete now. The mounting bracket needs a bit of tidying up and then paint.

IMG_3761.JPG

IMG_3762.JPG

IMG_3763.JPG

IMG_3766.JPG

Exhaust cleaning complete. Headers are next!

IMG_3767.thumb.JPG.0176198256cfa118fb53fef7686a5e3a.JPG

Drivers side all done

IMG_3768.thumb.JPG.93d029a01ec0c3217427d4fe2f218810.JPG

Passenger side all done 

IMG_3769.thumb.JPG.7c57b0731490fc8f5672bcfa5c7d5fe3.JPG

The complete system has come in at less than £400, I consider that a right bargain

Excellent stuff this mate, up it coming.

How's the steering feel does have a good angle on that UJ

26 minutes ago, WINGNUT said:

Excellent stuff this mate, up it coming.

How's the steering feel does have a good angle on that UJ

The angle on the UJ is more than I would like. The column is connected to the rack but the track rod ends are not connected to the hubs yet. But the steering wheel spins freely and smoothly with no signs of a notchy feel

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.