• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

Looking on various places , like Rimmer Bros , they do seem to have a variety of temperatures from 74 deg to 88 deg for the Rover V8. The lower ones seem to be for the lower compression Land Rover versions and the higher range for the Rover versions. I thought optimum was 82 deg for power ? Ready to be told otherwise. I guess it also depends on if you have a heater going in and how efficient the radiator is to control its cooling at lower speed and transfer of heat under load and travelling. Probably find Rover did lots of things in the past to solve cooling issues and was more than likely the rads being blocked and poor transfer or heat.

We found ~70 degrees was best for power on MX5s, internal components end up with increased friction when they are super hot. Need to keep oil temp around 100-110 and the lower water temp helps with that, with a 92 stat we'd see 130-140 oil.

I think the above will be at least similar for most n/a petrol engines.

1 minute ago, AdamR said:

We found ~70 degrees was best for power on MX5s, internal components end up with increased friction when they are super hot. Need to keep oil temp around 100-110 and the lower water temp helps with that, with a 92 stat we'd see 130-140 oil.

I think the above will be at least similar for most n/a petrol engines.

Does that not help with oil getting rid of moisture etc Adam at that temp ?

4 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Looking on various places , like Rimmer Bros , they do seem to have a variety of temperatures from 74 deg to 88 deg for the Rover V8. The lower ones seem to be for the lower compression Land Rover versions and the higher range for the Rover versions. I thought optimum was 82 deg for power ? Ready to be told otherwise. I guess it also depends on if you have a heater going in and how efficient the radiator is to control its cooling at lower speed and transfer of heat under load and travelling. Probably find Rover did lots of things in the past to solve cooling issues and was more than likely the rads being blocked and poor transfer or heat.

It is a bit of a minefield as you can see from the range of stats available!

I have two at present, an 88c that was in the Edelbrock mani when I got it, and a 62-72c that was with the engine 

4 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

It is a bit of a minefield as you can see from the range of stats available!

I have two at present, an 88c that was in the Edelbrock mani when I got it, and a 62-72c that was with the engine 

It is Gary , like I said maybe Austin Rover or whatever they were called just tried different stats for different vehicles , potentially because they had other issues. At the end of the day , if the Cobra is a road car , I would be going for what they recommend on the website. If you are going to track it regulary then look at something further down the scale. A mate built a cobra           ( RAM) many moons ago and I dont think he changed the thermostat , from when it came out the SDI to go in the car. He used it for 3 years or so, until he had saved for a 351 cu Ford Cleveland and Supra gearbox and it seems to be fine.

2 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

It is Gary , like I said maybe Austin Rover or whatever they were called just tried different stats for different vehicles , potentially because they had other issues. At the end of the day , if the Cobra is a road car , I would be going for what they recommend on the website. If you are going to track it regulary then look at something further down the scale. A mate built a cobra           ( RAM) many moons ago and I dont think he changed the thermostat , from when it came out the SDI to go in the car. He used it for 3 years or so, until he had saved for a 351 cu Ford Cleveland and Supra gearbox and it seems to be fine.

I have no intention of tracking it (I have the Mini for that) but want to ensure it is running at optimum temperature on the road

Last time I had the westy in for a rolling road, I was informed that temp in the 80s is best generally??? How true? I just thought he's the man in the know. A mate of mine has an exige and he's runs in them 80 regions 

4 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

I have no intention of tracking it (I have the Mini for that) but want to ensure it is running at optimum temperature on the road

Put both stats in a hat and see which one you pull out and fit it :d

Wouldnt buy another just to add to the collection.

40 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Does that not help with oil getting rid of moisture etc Adam at that temp ?

As far as I recall water boils at 100 degrees, so all good :d

8 minutes ago, AdamR said:

:d I was meaning that moisture to temperature removal. There is always one :laugh:

38 minutes ago, AdamR said:

Not under pressure :cry:

12 hours ago, Thrustyjust said:

Put both stats in a hat and see which one you pull out and fit it :d

Wouldnt buy another just to add to the collection.

I would rather make an informed decision ???

My 5 litre with a racy camshaft and induction ran an 88 degree thermostat happily from the engine builder   I tried a 74 and all it did was make the engjne warm up very slow and kept the oil too cold, with an oil cooler.  It dudnt improve overall cooling. I would go for the 88 or close.

Cheers Jon 

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.