Cobra 427 Build

KugaWestie

Great stuff Gary. Cork gaskets can be a pain for squirming around as you tighten. Good to see a milestone of the engine and box in the chassis though :t-up:

Got to find time now to start your thread from the beginning and expect questions from a few months back as I do get through it :d

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

6 minutes ago, Thrustyjust said:

Great stuff Gary. Cork gaskets can be a pain for squirming around as you tighten. Good to see a milestone of the engine and box in the chassis though :t-up:

Got to find time now to start your thread from the beginning and expect questions from a few months back as I do get through it :d

Thanks. The gasket was not too bad, I put all the bolts in loosely (about a couple of turns) first and then tightened gradually in a spiral pattern from the middle outwards. Seemed to work ok 

Smart installation Gary. Good milestone under your belt. Please keep the progress coming. Looking forward to hearing the V8 rumble :t-up:

I purposely left the gearbox empty of oil so I could do it in the chassis to see how tricky it was. It's not too bad as long as I leave the top of the tunnel removable.

IMG_3191.JPG

Today I spent a bit of time on the engine.

I removed the old valley gasket I used whilst spraying the engine, and then cleaned out the valley. I fitted the new rubber seals at the front and back of the valley.

IMG_3193.thumb.JPG.bd8a71ba717fac3acd05c9b13008c74c.JPG

Then I fitted the valley gasket

IMG_3194.JPG

I was not not happy with the fit of the gasket on the rubber seals. After some googling I realised that there should be a clamp fitted on top of the gasket, which I don't have. So I have ordered a pair.

After fitting the valley gasket, I then placed the inlet manifold in position and bolted it down

IMG_3195.thumb.JPG.a7f9447c421c3640ba0f8a556c363737.JPG

IMG_3197.thumb.JPG.6865f7ea585795ef56a6e1a037ef3f0d.JPG

You can also see the 123 distributor is positioned in the photos.

IMG_3196.thumb.JPG.6381595edc8c20e7ca9663872c8494b7.JPG

Final job of the day was to fit some new spark plugs

IMG_3198.thumb.JPG.3368c5cebc25b2316221c6bde6083a11.JPG

Looks great Gary. Give a buzz fitting shiny bits on the engine :t-up:

Dont forget the ketchup pump for filling the box from underneath , so you dont have to remove carpets and panels etc.

21 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Can't be long before we see the fuel injection on now Gary?

Correct, it won't be long :t-up:

Just now, Thrustyjust said:

Looks great Gary. Give a buzz fitting shiny bits on the engine :t-up:

Dont forget the ketchup pump for filling the box from underneath , so you dont have to remove carpets and panels etc.

Thanks

Ketchup pump?

I managed to escape turkey, mince pies, chocolates etc etc for an hour today.

No photos to show but a bit of a tidy up and then I finished off fitting the remainder of the cable tie bases that I wanted to fit on the rear section of the chassis.

Getting withdrawal symptoms! ;) will have to “make do” with watching a Project Binky update tonight, but really need a fix of V8 goodness!

10 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Getting withdrawal symptoms! ;) will have to “make do” with watching a Project Binky update tonight, but really need a fix of V8 goodness!

Lol Dave

It has been a busy few days between Xmas and new year decorating one of the boys bedrooms, replacing a single for a double bed including dismantle of old and building of new, horsing a load of stuff out, trips to the tip etc etc

I will be back on it soon, promise :d

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.