Cobra 427 Build

KugaWestie

I have started to have a look at engine position today.

Can anyone tell me if the RV8 engine needs to be level from front to rear? Can it have a slight incline along its length? So crank nose end higher than gearbox end

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

As I alluded to in my previous post, I uncovered the engine and gearbox today. The first time I have seen it in just over 12 months.

I took the polythene sheeting off of the timber frame it was stored under

IMG_2852.thumb.JPG.79ce2d704b00630bd0a2f34b6b111058.JPG

Then removed the frame, got my trusty hoist out and lifted it onto a skate to transport it over to the garage

IMG_2853.thumb.JPG.ca39cb6c71301a5266d159e975ff6ac3.JPG

It was wheeled into the garage and put back on the hoist

IMG_2854.thumb.JPG.42a70d208f8c2f19ea13f33f67821d9b.JPG

Next it was up, up, up..........followed by a twist on the leveller...........down down down

IMG_2855.thumb.JPG.c9d32028484369cfc2766d6725e56826.JPG

IMG_2856.thumb.JPG.4954b7dc7c7fd466a6ead5958cde491f.JPG

And into the chassis.

It is a very tight fit which slightly surprised me. There is no way that big old Jag V12 would have gone in there

IMG_2861.JPG

IMG_2862.JPG

IMG_2863.JPG

IMG_2864.JPG

Gearstick and gearbox position as it currently stands

IMG_2866.JPG

IMG_2868.JPG

I’d forgotten how big all the water pump Gubbins on the front was! Wow, that does look cosy in there!

After lots of tweaking and repositioning I finally got the engine level across the banks, and almost level from front to back.

By this point I had taken the Standard intake manifold off and dropped on the Edelbrock manifold

IMG_2872.JPG

There are a few variations on the water pumps on the RV8. The early P6 IIRC is the shortests and what you have there looks SD1 which was one of the longest. Front pulleys also come in various lengths so if you are looking for space it might be you could find some there.

10 minutes ago, jeff oakley said:

There are a few variations on the water pumps on the RV8. The early P6 IIRC is the shortests and what you have there looks SD1 which was one of the longest. Front pulleys also come in various lengths so if you are looking for space it might be you could find some there.

Ahh that's interesting Jeff, thanks.

You are correct, it is an SD1 engine. 

I might have a look for a P6 pump and shorter crank pulley then

11 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

I’d forgotten how big all the water pump Gubbins on the front was! Wow, that does look cosy in there!

Too cosy for my liking

ISTR I had a set of poly V pulleys on my last RV8 that helped to shorten the whole deal a bit, but they do stick out a ways don’t they! My first RV8 build (a Cobra copy as it happens) had quite a tilt front to rear so I had a levellling plate for the Holley. 

Good progress Gary:yes: 

I knocked up the start of the engine mounts tonight. This is work in progress as I still need to add some strengthening gussets before fully welding

IMG_2891.thumb.JPG.b9276a5eb7cd8cbad7bc62559bdd9a1c.JPG

IMG_2892.thumb.JPG.6a3d3273b104bfae26ac4bbfb6524bed.JPG

IMG_2894.thumb.JPG.0c70061c2b631038d1489ebd6bf73ffe.JPG

IMG_2895.thumb.JPG.1939d2b4e6131328901e47aa07fb97e8.JPG

Once these were done on both sides, I lowered the hoist to let the weight off. The engine is now sat on the mounts which is a nice feeling :)

Once the gussets are done and it's all fully welded I will sort out the gearbox mount. At present the gearbox is supported on a jack.

I made up the strengthening gussets tonight for the engine mounts and tacked them into position

IMG_2904.JPG

IMG_2905.JPG

On my travels today I picked up a new oil filter to put on the engine and when the guy handed it over to me in Eurocarparts I was shocked by the size of the box. I spent the rest of the day thinking there isn't enough space for that big,filter and it is going to foul on the chassis.

I need not have worried, it fits lovely

IMG_2902.JPG

IMG_2903.JPG

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.