• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

Not at all Gary, my humble honour to be able to contribute in some small way to helping you get the best of your project. Any time you want some random A******e to nag you about something, give me a shout ;)

A few days ago my front brake flexi pipes arrived, so I fitted them today

IMG_2788.thumb.JPG.87c9a6614e9840eb4855ad23c8c7664b.JPG

I also put the handbrake cable onto the calipers

IMG_2789.thumb.JPG.8861c442f0c3aa778e83da05334fbfe5.JPG

The handbrake will be between the drivers seat and door

IMG_2790.thumb.JPG.9311d843cd1a05acf6f0e2f92bba88c8.JPG

A long time ago I purchased a Jaguar XJS handbrake lever. These pull up like a normal handbrake to engage, but once engaged drop back down. To disengage you then pull it up again whilst pressing the button.

This means when it is engaged it will be nicely sat down flat and won't hamper driver entry into or exit from the car.

When it arrived it was fully dismantled, a bag of bits. So I spent a little while reassembling it this evening. 

I need to modify it slightly to accept the Dax handbrake cable, but that looks easy enough.

IMG_2791.JPG

Good idea on the handbrake. Those door side mounted ones that don't drop down used to be legendary for catching shoes and trousers and tripping people getting out of the car. 

1 hour ago, KugaWestie said:

A few days ago my front brake flexi pipes arrived, so I fitted them today

Got enough flexi to get full lock there Gary? I'm sure it's just an optical illusion but it looks a little on the short side...?

14 minutes ago, BCF said:

Got enough flexi to get full lock there Gary? I'm sure it's just an optical illusion but it looks a little on the short side...?

Yep they are fine 

need to catch up on this thread - quick look and it seems to be going well m8 :cool:

Tonight I decided to test the braking system.

So I got my trusty Sealey VS820 bleeder kit out and filled the system with Dot4. Bled it all round and checked for leaks, none to be seen.

A pedal test and it is rock hard

So I wondered what the pedal would feel like under servo assist. I got the vacuum cleaner out and taped it onto the servo hose and had a go.

Definitely more pedal travel although it is still quite a push. I have no idea if the vacuum cleaner was providing similar vacuum pressure to what the engine will, but it did prove that the servo softened the pedal!

Last nights job was to fit the handbrake lever and connect it to the cable. This included some modifications to the end of the cable and also where the cable enters the lever. I also had to weld in some mounts on the chassis for it.

When I started the cable would not go through to the lever pulling position

IMG_2817.thumb.JPG.3096af496214ddd5c45d50539d200117.JPG

After modifying all was well apart from a couple of frayed strands on the cable where I had to cut part of the threaded section off it

IMG_2822.thumb.JPG.085cf547bb85126bc071a31dcf98c79f.JPG

From above

IMG_2827.thumb.JPG.8e264842314163dc9ad33e8eb9913eed.JPG

From the side with the cover trim attached

IMG_2825.thumb.JPG.5feeeec9f0107618e1e00f75055ebb70.JPG

I think the next step is to drop the engine and gearbox into the chassis to start looking at mounts etc.

So with that in mind I had a good tidy up

IMG_2824.JPG

One other little job was to fit the new handbrake caliper springs including welding some mounting hooks on the chassis

IMG_2818.JPG

9 minutes ago, Stuart Faulkner - Shows & Events Coordinator said:

Good to see your making progress Gary. :yes:

Thanks Stu.

Slowly but surely is the way at present - Sunday evening seems to be the only time I get these days!

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.