Cobra 427 Build

KugaWestie

8 hours ago, AdgeC said:

Good to see you're not just sitting in the sun!

Sounds like a sensible approach, particularly if it keeps you safe, and the IVA examiner happy.

Being nosey, what are the pair of large vertical tubes welded under the "goal post" for?

The Roll hoops fit inside them

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

Thanks, if only I had a memory! I'll keep quiet and let you get on with it :p

Tonight's little job was to weld in the threaded spacers which will accept the top central harness mount behind the seats. I drilled a clearance hole through the position plate marginally larger than 7/16 which is the size of the eye bolt. The spacer was then positioned behind the clearance hole and welded in. So effectively it is sandwiched in position as well as welded.

IMG_2370.JPG

IMG_2372.JPG

IMG_2373.JPG

I sprayed the additional bracing and harness top mounts today

DB2268F3-F344-4A9E-AFCF-2BBE4D238416.jpeg

6C4CF25A-671E-4439-B610-A49E7861A788.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up the diff today after a complete tear down, rebuild with all new bearings and seals and powder coating. It has also been derated to suit the lighter weight of the car.

IMG_2443.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Now the Mini is pretty much sorted (until I break it again!), it's time to get back on the Cobra.

So I got the newly refurbished diff out tonight, and I must say it's a lovely job that has been done on it.

I started by filling it with oil, followed by fitting the discs and brake calipers including lock wiring the bolts.

That went well so I carried on and fitted it into the chassis. It's only in loose at present but at least it is in its home
IMG_2562.thumb.JPG.b0c46e831d7d26eb71b84c303066fbfc.JPG

Its good to be back on the build 

Car building time is scarce at present, but I managed a couple of hours this evening. I re-assembled the rear drive shafts/hubs/wishbones etc. I wasn't looking forward to this job as I knew how fiddly it was last time!

Everything is on, but not torqued up yet

IMG_2577.JPG

IMG_2578.JPG

IMG_2579.JPG

I still always take a double look at those rear uprights. They just look like there's a top arm missing!!

42 minutes ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I still always take a double look at those rear uprights. They just look like there's a top arm missing!!

Lol

Having never really looked at Jag rear axles/suspension before and not dismantling the donor, it took me a while to work it out!

Looking good Gary. 

When I put one in the Marcos it took me a while to get over the absence of an upper wishbone too. Good job the lower arm is a sturdy thing isn't it......

I'm pretty sure I saw a lower rear brace in one of your earlier shots? Fits between the ends of the inner pivot shafts at the back to keep them spaced. The castings they fit in are beefy, but I'd not want to rely on them alone as they are a bit cantilevered out from the main bulk of the diff casing. I put a 5mm thick plate between them on the install I did, and another at the front that then mounted to the chassis via some Spax bushes. Seemed to cope with the output of the 4.2 OK, although it only make 250bhp/250ftlb

With the right spring and damper rates, that setup gives an excellent ride, and having that big lump of sprung weight in the back really helps with traction. It transformed the Marcos when it went from live axle to that cut down IRS. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

This was it. Top diff mount was a plate welded to two cross tubes, with Spax bushes at the ends so the entire rear suspension was rubber mounted.

1768136088_diffinstallationfromrear.jpg.b884691bb59008dc2a6064a073da50af.jpg

Thanks @corsechris

Yes the rear lower brace is still to be fitted, I will put it on when I torque up

Ah, thought I'd seen one ;)  Just too lazy to go back through the thread :( 

On 17/09/2018 at 17:27, corsechris said:

Ah, thought I'd seen one ;)  Just too lazy to go back through the thread :( 

It's been put back on there tonight :yes:

Grabbed an hour after work today, so put the coilovers on. Again, not torqued up.

IMG_2597.thumb.JPG.22c030be731597e4bf31d5a4fee90845.JPG

IMG_2598.thumb.JPG.bb6f5072c9bb6c53b48f73cd5bff689b.JPG

I did torque up the top diff mount bolts and lock wire them though

IMG_2596.thumb.JPG.05777d01b89bf698c7e206ce1851c225.JPG

I think I am now at the point where I could pop the wheels on and have myself a rolling chassis!

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.