• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

I like a good gusset.....

:getmecoat:

Sprayed a few coats of red oxide over all the bare/welded metal

IMG_2254.JPG

Underside of the chassis sprayed up tonight

IMG_2255.thumb.JPG.5aff0a4f52806a76947a4832d2c6f2d0.JPG

Followed by a bead of tiger seal all around the perimeter of the floor pan extension and joint on the underside

IMG_2256.thumb.JPG.f3265ad74d311cf3b32b67724f2a4ac2.JPG

IMG_2257.thumb.JPG.999683ba2ee333dcb4b8cbc550bf122a.JPG

Then I turned the chassis back over onto the axle stands and repeated the process on the topside. My rattle can just ran out before completing the spraying work so need to just finish this off once I have bought a new can

IMG_2258.JPG

IMG_2259.JPG

IMG_2260.JPG

I can start building again soon :d

9 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

I can start building again soon :d

Excellent! Though the mods you’ve done should make a world of difference, interesting that it was done the way it was in the first place, when it would seem so much better to have done them your way.

1 hour ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Excellent! Though the mods you’ve done should make a world of difference, interesting that it was done the way it was in the first place, when it would seem so much better to have done them your way.

Yes it is odd that the rails were not positioned like that in the first place really. It looks like it was meant to be like it is now IMHO 

58 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

Yes it is odd that the rails were not positioned like that in the first place really. It looks like it was meant to be like it is now IMHO 

Someone had a good idea :t-up::p

I welded on the roll hoop mounting tubes this morning

IMG_2264.JPG

Is a welder required for this kit Gary, or is it just because you're making your own improvements?

19 hours ago, Peter (Monty) said:

Is a welder required for this kit Gary, or is it just because you're making your own improvements?

I think for the kit I have yes.

I have still got steering rack mounts to make/alter, as well as engine mounts to make. Also brake line hose termination points need welding on. I am sure there will be more stuff to weld as well

2.88 diff swapped today

3.54 diff sat in my boot, which will be dropped off in the next day or so for a full strip down, rebuild and derate so it lets go at the right amount of torque

IMG_2306.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I had heard that the chassis sometimes fails IVA on the rear seat belt/harness top mount. The mounting position is in the corner of the "goalpost frame" you can see in the picture below. The IVA concern is that in a severe impact the frame could collapse forwards from the weight of the human travelling forwards.

IMG_2349.thumb.JPG.75139371f5bf3620c89f2ec105fb735c.JPG

The modification is to add some additional tubing to beef things up, so that was tonight's job.

IMG_2350.thumb.JPG.8fcb5d8050dc40ed19e382f18478e1bf.JPG

IMG_2351.thumb.JPG.3128d153fe08346c224495cd74fa9ea7.JPG

I have also welded in some harnesses mounting points on the top corners of the "goalpost frame", you can see them in the above photo. The next step is to weld the threaded spacers/bosses on.

Good to see you're not just sitting in the sun!

Sounds like a sensible approach, particularly if it keeps you safe, and the IVA examiner happy.

Being nosey, what are the pair of large vertical tubes welded under the "goal post" for?

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.