Cobra 427 Build

KugaWestie

Pre IVA MOT tomorrow morning, so it’s maiden voyage time!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KugaWestie

• corsechris

• Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman

• Alan Cutler (Adge) - Dorset AO

On 12/03/2021 at 19:29, KugaWestie said:

Pre IVA MOT tomorrow morning, so it’s maiden voyage time!

Well some good and some areas that need some work!

Engine ran ok, cooling was fine and it sounds lovely.

Emissions are within the levels for the age of the engine. The levels need to be less than 4.5% CO and less than 1200ppm.  

We set the headlights up, so hopefully that’s sorted.  

We ran the brakes on the rollers, they were well balanced, front wheels locked and rear wheels didn’t. Handbrake was working pretty well. Hopefully another  

The MOT tester had a good look underneath and was happy.  

Things that need attention:-

The car was wandering when driving it, and the steering felt a bit vague. We found some play in the steering that needs addressing. 

There was no self centreing so I have adjusted the castor angle to hopefully rectify this.

The Speedo was ok up to 30mph but then jumped around so I have moved the sender a bit closer to the bolts.

The clutch reservoir lid was loose and does not want to tighten.

I have ordered some materials to hopefully sort the steering play out, but it’s going to be tight to get it done!

Difficult to believe that pile of bits you started with could turn out this good!

Top job Gary - despite the fact it isn’t red 😁

Great work. Sounds like you've got a grip on most things, though the steering sloppiness sounds a concern! Hopefully it will be a simple and quick re-build/re-work

That looks stunning Gary. Very understated. Top work. You have taken patience to another level !!
Good luck with the test. 

On 14/03/2021 at 11:36, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Great work. Sounds like you've got a grip on most things, though the steering sloppiness sounds a concern! Hopefully it will be a simple and quick re-build/re-work

Steering problem addressed with a couple of needle rollers and some steel tube and bracketry. Obviously I cannot test it but I think it should work. There used to be a pillow block bearing where the new set up is. This is it just tacked ready for welding up.

C09FA451-1182-4519-8B00-B602CDC42CF3.thumb.jpeg.25851731cc3fd78a1cdccf0784ee504a.jpeg

All sprayed up and will be refitted tomorrow night.

0E366C5B-A2D1-472F-8318-3662CC7E093E.thumb.jpeg.b3a4d09b64eeba1b37b7c7be854eee81.jpeg

On 14/03/2021 at 11:43, Nic (NICO) - Shropshire and Mid-Wales AO said:

That looks stunning Gary. Very understated. Top work. You have taken patience to another level !!
Good luck with the test. 

Thanks Nic

The last job on my list was to fit the head restraints and the witches hats on the top of the harnesses.

You can see why I held off doing this job until the end 🤮

C4997231-5133-47D5-ABBE-4091E5EA0930.thumb.jpeg.712f5e9992328e968238a03e6fa2632f.jpeg

FDD63C25-0540-468C-BC9A-50C1B3A2BE5B.thumb.jpeg.690e0ba9528feeff44850a4b7eb77ced.jpeg

4B8F21A1-F761-4A8B-B90E-115F3B92595A.thumb.jpeg.e13588a0ab65abc6c1e2450943c8dac5.jpeg

22 minutes ago, KugaWestie said:

You can see why I held off doing this job until the end 🤮

So you're not leaving them fitted?? 😄

Great work, it looks fantastic!

36 minutes ago, Glen_I said:

So you're not leaving them fitted?? 😄

Great work, it looks fantastic!

I reckon they might grow on me 😂

Steering column assembly all back together and feels much better. Obviously I cannot road test but hopefully it’s solved the problem.

Tools, parts, trims, foam and anything else I think I might need all sorted and ready to take with me.

So I think I am ready.

Good Luck today, Gary. 🤞

Big day, good luck, Im sure it will fly through.

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use, Guidelines and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.