Die Alpen 2022- The return visit - join the dots challenge

Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

3 minutes ago, Scott Young (Captain Colonial) - Club Secretary said:

I think you forget to wash something.  I don’t see your filthy, smelly, raggedy p***y on the line…

It's still running round the garden!

While Ian does his Blog bit, I was busy…

I claim this mountain!

B2406779-7C96-4B8A-96A3-34D8AA81A282.jpeg

The photo neither does justice to how close the edge was, (less than 2m), how windy it was, (very), and how much holding a dirty great big flag pulls you around at the edge of a chuffing great drop. (A long way down into Italy, just there!)

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

While Ian does his Blog bit, I was busy…

I claim this mountain!

B2406779-7C96-4B8A-96A3-34D8AA81A282.jpeg

The photo neither does justice to how close the edge was, (less than 2m), how windy it was, (very), and how much holding a dirty great big flag pulls you around at the edge of a chuffing great drop. (A long way down into Italy, just there!)

Is that where I incorrectly 'blogged' that the flag was the 'Peak District' item 😉

:devil: Indeed! :durr:

:laugh:

On 07/07/2022 at 10:25, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Pegasus Bridge Museum

0DFD76AE-F79D-45D7-8BC4-53EE004D016B.jpeg

For anyone wondering about the picture above, at the Pegasus Bridge memorial,

74C84B79-9830-4E69-8CFE-99CCE2426860.jpeg

And why Mr Bean had made an appearance amongst all the World Leaders, politicians and representatives of the Armed Forces; it was the museums way of editing a certain Vladimir Putin out of the picture! 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I meant to ask all of those questions, then the phone rang 🤣, I couldn't work out why Rowan was pasted over someone else.

• Like 1

It’s a fascinating reflection of the differences and attitudes between countries, visiting Reims old GP track.

B0FCD013-D077-4918-858E-8B1727B8086A.jpeg

This is the opposite side of the main race control and admin buildings, in front of which the classic cars parked up shots are taken. With the exception of the room dedicated to Les Pilotes, (the drivers gone by), it’s all open, with only the odd dangerously weakened stair case  closed off by a simple barrier.

but there’s a main stair case, with obviously maintained guard rails, you can go up to the viewing rooms, and even the very top gallery.

636712F1-C171-445B-A18E-361C17034E1A.jpeg

Yet it’s all, while decaying slowly, fairly clean and tidy, with very, very little graffiti or vandalism obvious. It’s patently looked after and sympathetically maintained - there seemed signs on the grand stand over the road, particularly, of where the odd sponsors sign might have been very carefully restored, while still keeping it looking as weathered and aged as the rest.

And here we can see just how far @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO Goes to get the awesome photos he’s taken for the trip!

0717255C-DC7E-45BD-BF8E-E7536B9838F5.jpeg

• Like 2

Taken three years and three days apart, at the same spot…

30 June 2019

image.jpeg

2 July 2022

88B75EC1-4BCE-4149-802C-D411E19EBCAA.jpeg

The only glacier and snow, at this level, now, is that carefully preserved under the plastic sheeting,  much of the rest has gone. And the level that remains after the winter snows, is getting less every year.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Yes, I have seen images like that before, one of my YT channels went there years ago and walked inside a tunnel, which must be under the road that Ian is lying on.

1 minute ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

Taken three years and three days apart…

30 June 2019

image.jpeg

2 July 2022

88B75EC1-4BCE-4149-802C-D411E19EBCAA.jpeg

The only glacier and snow, at this level, now, is that carefully preserved under the plastic sheeting,  much of the rest has gone. And the level that remains after the winter snows, is getting less every year.

Just reminded me, I need to defrost the freezer today , thank you 👍

• Haha 1

That’s right, there is a big underpass as part of the grandstand/buildings complex, joining the two sides of the road.

Its where the tribute plaque is hung.

B94DE36A-C1AA-4014-A6FD-660909153E20.jpeg

It’s funny, like so many, on previous trips, (and this one), we’ve done the obligatory photos of the cars at Pegasus Bridge;

78097075-E893-4BA2-8DAF-18C3A923F950.jpeg

However, while doing the research for museums to visit in this area for our final day in France, I discovered something I’d not heard before! It’s a modern semi-reproduction! (The Caen Canal is wider now, and the old bridge was just too slow, (3 hours to raise, 3 to lower), short and long in the tooth for modern traffic.)

The actual bridge was moved and abandoned in one of the flooded areas along the canal, further down. Then, the (self funded) and excellent Pegasus Museum was set up in 2000, with a good in-door display and a lovely out door park around the bridge, with memorials to the fallen, and examples of some of the weaponry used.

They had an excellent guided tour, that begins with a short talk around a big “battle board” map/model, inside, and ended with a tour of the bridge, and replica landing glider. (In English).

65C42E66-2AB2-4940-B0BD-1517FB0CE04B.jpeg

E3287B0B-6391-4043-B7E0-81DC9632BEEF.jpeg

• Like 1

I've got a 'litle' bit of video editing to do-

image.png.1433f857e82dfe0b423e27be22bfbe3d.png

@Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman hasn't passed me his cards yet, so more to go at from him too.

I've got circa 12.5H of my own Insta 360 footage, 7H from @Greenstreak-Andy D Insta 360 and a few hours from @Stu Faulkner using a GoPro Hero 10. @HB46443 it won't be ready for Insta/Youtube just yet......................

It's not going to be easy working with so much footage as I've got lots of room on my home PC either-

image.png.2845f92a50277df9c625f4f3294134e3.png

• Like 1

For those visiting the area, there is an absolutely superb museum in Caens itself; the Caens Memorial Musem.

https://normandy.memorial-caen.com

It’s a fascinating place, you could easily spend a day in, with some good displays and artefacts. It also stands testament to the total horror of Total War. Told from a perspective we perhaps don’t hear enough from; it pulls no punches either. Reminding us of the brutal terrors that can happen when “good people do nothing”.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Chairman said:

Taken three years and three days apart, at the same spot…

Same outfit, too! - the attention to detail we go to for these updates!

• Haha 1