Bunty

A 2.0 with 150-200bhp... given the choice between XE, Zetec or Duratec, I'd buy whichever one was in the best condition or looked the prettiest. I don't think either of those engines are particularly troubled by those power outputs, so wouldn't rule any of them out purely on engine.

Unless one was on carbs. I'd rule that out purely because I'm a millennial and I don't understand them :d

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Bunty said:

found an xe wide body with trailer for £10k.

Nothing wrong with an XE other than it’s “getting on a bit”. Sounds like it could be a good package given the silly prices of trailers at the minute!

Post some info about the car if you need advice 👍

Hi Bunty, welcome. I have just joined myself and purchased the car earlier this month.

I went for a SEIW 1.8 Zetec, just under £10K giving out approx 160bhp according to the dyno graph. I've only managed to drive it home so far (150 miles!) but it feels plenty fast enough for me. For now 😉

I guess mine would be fine for the track but you always want more power, so as others have said, just go for the best example you can find for the money. I think your budget should be ok given the patience of looking.

I was tempted by a bike engine (love the sound) but as a newbie wanted something a little more sensible as a first car.

Good luck.

Luke

• Like 1

Welcome bunty , not far from you , our local meeting is even closer in Leighton buzzard , hopefully catch up with you at some stage for a run .

I presume you mean this one:

The owner is no longer a member unfortunately, so won't be able to respond directly, if it is still available. (They've not been back to the forum since that last post in October, unfortunately)

Doing the MoT look up on it shows it's MoT'd and taxed still, from before the advert was placed, it also shows the last V5 change as being in 2012, when the guy advertising it bought it. So it is possible he still has it.

If you're heading to the Reading area, might be worth trying to have a look at https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1388504. Price is a bit high IMO but it's a dealership so they might have some room to negotiate. If nothing else, it'll give you a comparison point between a semi-track car and a more road focused one.

He does still have it- sorry I should have worded my reply better…. I have booked to go and see it tomorrow with him , seems it’s been up for sale a while now compared to other ones.

I will only be using the car for track anyway to be honest so all the road trim I guess is a bit of a waste for me .

Ah no problem! I can see you posted as such while I was trying to find more info.