Buying a RAC Spec Roll Bar

markhall

Hmmm....

What does the petty bar attach to?

Oh and TimD, we've had this conversation... (well, perhaps we haven't, but someone else did make the same comment as you). :)

I suspect I may have to have a 'special' roll bar anyway, because of my height I think I'd probably stick up over the RAC one anyway...

Comments?

Andy

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• adhawkins

• Matt Seabrook

• timd

• adam1330

Oh and TimD, we've had this conversation... (well, perhaps we haven't, but someone else did make the same comment as you). :)

Maybe so but not with me I don't think..

FIA bar and take a bag with you so you don't have to leave anything in the car gets my vote! :t-up:

If you're that bothered make up a boot box to suit. Ages ago when my car had a (kind of) fia type bar I made a panelled ally boot which could easily have had a boot lid if I CBA to have made one. Cheap and cheerful, only tools required were a rivet gun and a saw, and took an afternoon! :)

If you're tall get the CAT one for tall people or have the silly mickey mouse ears welded onto a normal bar ;) , but whatever you do fit a proper bar if you're taking it on track!! :) Luggage must come secondary to your head. :)

only tools required were a rivet gun and a saw, and took an afternoon!

The caveat being that you are clearly pretty handy with a tool kit and stuff. With the greatest respect to Andy, I think he's somewhat less talented........

Ah. Ok then, I'll shut up! :) Just remembered there was also a drill involved and some silicone sealant anyway... ;)

FWIW I don't think it would be difficult to cut and shut an existing GRP boot box and lid then take a mold from it if anyone has a sacrificial one kicking about! :)

I'm wondering about whether I'll be able to retain a boot box of some form with the cage.

I figured that with some suitable butchery it could be made to be a drop in item, maybe by chopping the ends off and re-making them so it sits *inside* the rear struts on the cage.

Thoughts ??

Yup, don't see why not. Would work same way as with an FIA bar. Panel the edges where the stays go through, and have the smaller box in the middle. With or without a lid. Easy! ;):t-up:

The caveat being that you are clearly pretty handy with a tool kit and stuff. With the greatest respect to Andy, I think he's somewhat less talented........

Tactfully (and, unfortunately, accurately) put. :)

Don't tell anyone I was trained as an engineer, will you? :)

I know at least one person who's had PKM do the job (fit the boot box around an RAC roll bar), but is there anyone a bit further South (preferably West ish too) who can handle the job?

Ta.

edit: Just looked on the CAT motorsport site, no mention of roll bars on there (they mention anti-roll bars though). Any idea of cost?

Andy

Andy I am in the middle of refitting my boot lid around the RAC roll bar. It’s not that bad to do as long as you can use a jig saw and a ruler. When it’s finished I will take some photos and post them on here ;)

Is that a lockable lid? I'd definately be interested in how you do that if so.

Andy

Cool, definately like to see some pics when it's done then.

Andy

:blush:

Ok, consider my wrist slapped :)

I remember seeing those photos before now. Basically, you narrow the opening of the boot lid, so that the bit that opens is between the two stays.

Still well beyond my meagre abilities though ;)

The Welsh Wizard suggests her class of 10 year olds could do it as a Design and Technology project. Hmmm...  :suspect:

Andy