Track Day Tyre Wear

Two7

Just had a great day at Castle Coombe.  Managed to hit 101 mph on the approach to Quarry and the brakes worked perfectly so didn't Spin, unlike my last visit in the Caterham 160.  May not be "power lap" standards but I felt impressed with the general handling, so just need to get the suspension better sorted and up my bravery in the bends so I don't keep losing all my momentum in the bends.

However did notice my tyres suffered a bit.   This is a picture of the front passenger side tyre after travelling a total of 60 miles on the track ( I think I did 30 odd laps over 5 sessions) , note the feathering.  There was some ( not as bad) on the rear passenger side, both driver side tyres seemed to be fine.    Is this feathering to be expected on the outside corner tyres or is there a problem with the tracking or toe in etc, or does it look like dodgy tyres.   Drove home 140 miles after the track day and as you would expect the tyres look fine now.  My concern is the fact it was on just one tyre.

worn_tyres.JPG

Normal wear but I’d expect it on all tyres with track layout and surface determining which was worst affected. T1Rs are very hard so you did well, something a bit softer will improve your handling (and increase the scrub/pick up)

3 hours ago, jonjh1964 said:

Normal wear but I’d expect it on all tyres with track layout and surface determining which was worst affected. T1Rs are very hard so you did well, something a bit softer will improve your handling (and increase the scrub/pick up)

Thanks, I guess it is a compromise when it comes to tyres, hardwearing on the road, softer on the track.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Two7 said:

Thanks, I guess it is a compromise when it comes to tyres, hardwearing on the road, softer on the track.

Thats true, but TR1’s are normally too hard for a Westfield under pretty much any situation. You’ve done fantastically, well, normally you could launch the damn things into the heart of the sun and other some tyre squeal, get no noticeable heating up and wear!

Thanks, but probably more down to the fact it was damn hot yesterday.  Out of interest what tyres would people recommend for road and occasional track day ( bear in mind I have to drive it home after the track day).   Here is a picy of me being brave.

track_day_castle_coombe_jul_21_small.jpg

• Like 3

I find Michelin PS3s to be very good for road and track

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Two7 said:

Out of interest what tyres would people recommend for road and occasional track day ( bear in mind I have to drive it home after the track day).   

@Two7 For summer drivers that might have to deal with wet, Avon ZZS, Yokohama AD08R and Nanking NS2R are track day tyres that have enough tread to make them good road tyres, Toyo used to have the R1R which I believe was aimed at the same market.  I have Toyo R888Rs (Avon ZZR, Yokohama A048 and Nanking AR-1 are similar) on mine which are more a dedicated track day tyre and, in my experience, are good for summer wet roads as long as there's no standing water - eg getting caught in a short shower.  I have a set of wheels with Toyo R1Rs that I fit if I'm touring and may have to deal with whatever the weather is, but they are still very much a summer only tyre.  If you're only going to do very occasional track days and use the car year round a standard sports road tyre is probably a better option and just accept that it won't be ideal on a hot track day.  My Eleven has a set of skinny Dunlop Street Response 2s and I'd be happy to take it on a track day with them (if I could get it through a noise test).  Tyres are like brake pad compounds so I expect others will no doubt be along to give their views and snap...

1220344648_AngleseySept202.jpg.6bd736e89a71a78cedd5949f378da21a.jpg

You’ll end up a much better driver and have lots more fun on less grippy tyres, so “anything cheap” 😄

• Like 2

Yeah, normal wear on those. Tr1 's never been a good tyre in any situation. they lasted about a week when I bought my car, changed to R1R tyres for road and track.   Ive later bought a second set of wheels just for the track with trackday tyres R888R, other good brands available of course.     If your planning more trackdays I suggest a second set of wheels as well.

4 hours ago, Snowy Steve said:

I find Michelin PS3s to be very good for road and track

Really good on road and track wet or dry.. and fair price for a quality tyre..

• Like 1

I use my PS3s for road and wet track days but they are also very good on dry tracks, although ultimately not as good R888Rs in the dry

Hi All

My tyres have feathered like Two7

Brief History

Car damaged a month ago ( my son, not me )upper nearside front wishbone snapped in 2. Replaced with new, and new one set to the same length as the old.

I did a track day last Friday at Llandow in temps of 30oc plus, Llandow is a right hand circuit basically an oval with a couple of chicanes. The car operated faultlessly and stuck to the corners like glue. 

At the end of the day noticed the wear on the near side front as shown on the photo, little bit of wear on off side but nothing significant.

Question is : is this wear normal or is my suspension geometry out.

Cheers Paul       

IMG_2237[1].JPG

• Like 1

I'm seeing two things - first are the lines of collected rubber at the sides of the tread like Tow7's that I believe are related to the track day - second is uneven wear across the width of the tread with excess wear on the outside edge of the tyre that could be an underlying tracking issue, perhaps too much toe-in, although Llandow or living somewhere like Milton Keynes with lots of roundabouts could also result in the same wear,  even with good tracking.  The tyre is on the wear limits and needs replacing, so it would be worth getting the tracking/camber checked at the same time.

2 hours ago, jonjh1964 said:

I'm seeing two things - first are the lines of collected rubber at the sides of the tread like Tow7's that I believe are related to the track day - second is uneven wear across the width of the tread with excess wear on the outside edge of the tyre that could be an underlying tracking issue, perhaps too much toe-in, although Llandow or living somewhere like Milton Keynes with lots of roundabouts could also result in the same wear,  even with good tracking.  The tyre is on the wear limits and needs replacing, so it would be worth getting the tracking/camber checked at the same time.

Yes the wear is uneven compared to the other side, and is more pronounced on the outside of the  tyre. Will not get time to have it checked this week, and i am only using it for some demonstration runs at a hill climb next week end so wear wont be an issue. 

13 hours ago, Oldspot said:

Hi All

My tyres have feathered like Two7

Brief History

Car damaged a month ago ( my son, not me )upper nearside front wishbone snapped in 2. Replaced with new, and new one set to the same length as the old.

I did a track day last Friday at Llandow in temps of 30oc plus, Llandow is a right hand circuit basically an oval with a couple of chicanes. The car operated faultlessly and stuck to the corners like glue. 

At the end of the day noticed the wear on the near side front as shown on the photo, little bit of wear on off side but nothing significant.

Question is : is this wear normal or is my suspension geometry out.

Cheers Paul       

IMG_2237[1].JPG

Your son snapped a wishbone ?

Firstly i would be getting the chassis checked to see if its straight because doesn't take alot to bend them and if that is ok then go and take it to have the geo setup it