Peak District Meet, Sat 22 May, 10am, nr Bakewell

Julie Hall - WSCC AO Representative

Hi Julie

I'll be there as long as the weather is ok.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Andy Westwood said:

Hi Julie

I'll be there as long as the weather is ok.

Really looking forward to seeing everyone.

I’ll eat on the way then. 😀

• Haha 2

On a pub crawl with a friend and the dogs, Enjoy your cake

Then I'm  camping for the following 3 weekends (different locations)

• Sad 1

We are going to come and say hello. 

But probably closer to 10.30 but if your all eating hopefully your still there. 

• Like 3

Well the first shake down run of the blue beast was eventful to say the least!

Firstly though, thanks to Julie for arranging this.

Secondly, a huge thank you to everyone that gave me a push back up the hill in the carpark, after my clutch decided it wasn't going to play ball! (Checked fluid levels in the carpark, thinking I may have a leak or poor seal, but no, all good).

Apologies for just having to leave without saying good bye, - i found I'd got too much clutch drag to sit there in gear/engine running, and as it later turned out, the only way to get first was to turn the engine off and select it! 

After a rather eventful trip home, with steadily fewer and fewer gears able to be selected while rolling - the last mile was in third only! I made it.

....And after putting preconceptions of what expensive item had failed, and whether it would be an engine out job, I found and fixed the problem in two minutes! 

Extremely embarrassing, and totally self inflicted! 

• Sad 1

Something stuck under the clutch pedal??

• Haha 1

Just now, stephenh said:

Something stuck under the clutch pedal??

Nothing quite that simple, but right area. 😆

The locknut nearest the bulkhead on the master cylinder pushrod had worked loose somehow. (Was definitely tight, I remember checking it.) and during the run out, eventually began winding itself back up the pushrod towards the bulkhead. As it got closer to the bulkhead, I moved from having too much clutch drag to change gear reliably, to not really having it release at all!

Finger tightening it when I spotted it, gave full pedal again.

Will use some threadlock this time!

However, it really does reinforce a point I usually make talking to others, and that I was just as guilty as, while out at the meet. DO NOT assume you know what the problem is, and that it’s something big/expensive/difficult to reach etc. Start with the basics and work up. Much of the time it is something simple and basic.

I needed to get back for the AGM anyway, so wasn’t going to do the full run/lunch. But if I’d followed my own advice in the car park, at best I’d have done a bit of the run, and worst case, I’d have had an easy run home, instead of one of the worst most concerning runs I’ve ever had in a Westfield.

(think supercharged S2000, in the rain, on a basic shake down engine map, with no/limited clutch, a lightweight flywheel, and at times only third, talk about concentrating the mind!!)

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

Nothing quite that simple, but right area. 😆

The locknut nearest the bulkhead on the master cylinder pushrod had worked loose somehow. (Was definitely tight, I remember checking it.) and during the run out, eventually began winding itself back up the pushrod towards the bulkhead. As it got closer to the bulkhead, I moved from having too much clutch drag to change gear reliably, to not really having it release at all!

Finger tightening it when I spotted it, gave full pedal again.

Will use some threadlock this time!

However, it really does reinforce a point I usually make talking to others, and that I was just as guilty as, while out at the meet. DO NOT assume you know what the problem is, and that it’s something big/expensive/difficult to reach etc. Start with the basics and work up. Much of the time it is something simple and basic.

I needed to get back for the AGM anyway, so wasn’t going to do the full run/lunch. But if I’d followed my own advice in the car park, at best I’d have done a bit of the run, and worst case, I’d have had an easy run home, instead of one of the worst most concerning runs I’ve ever had in a Westfield.

(think supercharged S2000, in the rain, on a basic shake down engine map, with no/limited clutch, a lightweight flywheel, and at times only third, talk about concentrating the mind!!)

Its good to get all of the issues out of the way early so hopefully it’s plain driving from here on out. Looking forward to seeing it on the road again.

Exactly, that’s the reason for doing some basic, partial mapping, enough to get it MoT’d and road legal again, so I can find these things, without having to be on the rolling road.

I wasn't planning to attend today, due to 2nd Covid Jab at 9:00am at JCB. However as I washed the tin top earlier, the weather was looking like it was drying up and a plan was hatched. Go for the jab in the Westie and go and find my peaky friends after!

image.png.6a12a0d8a4b621a395ee8a17d980ce27.png

image.png.dc738293e90889e8415c1d4e3267e133.png

image.png.bd5ba566cd6b578c4139baf4dba92a8e.png

A great day was had, despite the weather being soggier than planned. 

image.png.7092a0c5982017c9f1b6f93739e065f0.png

Bagpuss achieved a notable milestone today!

image.png.e9d839be265419fa92227b2cdf32cc82.png

As always, @Julie Hall - Peak District AO found some great, quiet roads:

image.png.cc0d6e8a2d9351669a17ef161567195a.png

image.png.7f8f5819f65b365802d90a8b028ab76c.png

image.png.f553f93971d18f7a5ed549fb5f257e8e.png

• Like 7

Was great meeting you guys, had a good day despite the weather and feeling rough later in the day. My half hood came off at the front on the way back, just caught it in time, so think I might need to try re positioning the channel and studs.

• Like 4

A SUPER turnout from Dave, despite him not being fully CHARGED, just glad you got home safe and hope the AGM went well. Thank you for bringing out 'Bluebird,' well it's the same colour and will go nearly as fast as Donald Campbell's car now.

DSC04889.JPG.5c3aa2b654320ba4a2b7941aac0ffe6e.JPG

A big welcome goes to James, his first run to the Peak District in his lovely green, Zetec engined Westfield, good choice of car.

DSC04892.JPG.207cbe22446c2d530495d23b9524e2ad.JPG

Also joining us was Andrew, Andy W and Andy and Becky, Bill Senior and Bill Junior, Chris Emm and Ian. That made 9 cars and 12 people meeting at Quackers. 

DSC04897.JPG.9f76961597067d8bfd46c0a242ca9d81.JPG

Soon expanded when Simon, our Speed Series King, surprised us by turning up with the family. Brilliant, oh it was so lovely to see you all enjoying yourselves, a taste of normality.

DSC04898.JPG.8644a769e73d2fd51680dd69f0369f74.JPG

DSC04899.JPG.862f467e169888bb73ca6ad05230509f.JPG

DSC04902.JPG.a157b966d587ec76476a10fd1b6261a6.JPG

DSC04893.JPG.a4480bfae72e7364b6d7551ecdc037d5.JPG

DSC04905.JPG.d7047c2d32f66cb530be75981dd842bd.JPG

Cake tasted great too, and yes, Andy Westwood did indeed get the biggest piece of Rolo cake. Don't mention the Rolo! It didn't survive sitting next to me! with my modestly sized almond and rasperry slice

DSC04896.JPG.297e14bca4dcfaa500876cfa9cdd438c.JPG

After a catch up, my you have all been busy working on your cars, we followed my new Morridge Ridgeline route that I had jiggled a bit from last time by putting us in the opposite direction. We were now going up hill and had the views right in front of us. We were on high ground for most of the way and under the black clouds but it didn't rain enough to put a roof on.

We arrived at The Royal Oak, Hurdlow and did the panorama dance

DSC04909.JPG.c0a6b3930c60989f12335f8d062f7bbb.JPG

The tents are heated and the car parking plentiful

DSC04911.JPG.57bc1ff16801bd1fd4909d72481b5895.JPG

Unfortunately the food was not plentiful, they were not serving it, so back in the cars and 2 minutes over the road to the old favourite The Bull I' Thorn. Now why did I change it from there, Julie just stick to cafes.

DSC04913.JPG.7e4595f2080d60ec4627a1b9cc70a826.JPG

Not quite enough room for Chris to park with us at The Bull

2095716577_DSC04914(2).JPG.4659741727c7b9a4482baf187dfb9bff.JPG

Thanks for coming everyone, I see the sun belted out all afternoon when we got home but hey ho. Next weekend is the Bank Holiday so our run out will be avoiding the tourist routes and the chosen day will be decided by the weather but we will meet at 10am at QUACKERS cafe. No run out the weekend after (5th and 6th June) as we are off to the Lake District for a week.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

@JamesGN when my hood tried to come off it was because the popper was not tight enough on the stud. If that is the case with yours just use a pair of pliers to squeeze the popper so it fits tighter on the stud, not too much though. I have never had a problem since.

Just now, Julie Hall - Peak District AO said:

@JamesGN when my hood tried to come off it was because the popper was not tight enough on the stud. If that is the case with yours just use a pair of pliers to squeeze the popper so it fits tighter on the stud, not too much though. I have never had a problem since.

Thanks will give that a try tomorrow

• Like 1