Ford Ranger......the story so far....

Andy - a15cro

My understanding - If you are charging to move something it should be on a tachometer, if it’s personal or moving your own item ‘not for hire’ it’s fine.

9 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

I think I managed to hide my reply instead of edit. 

Is it still not classed as personal use though? If theres no 'reward' involved it's not a commercial vehicle? 

VOSA fined me because mine was plg taxed and that it was mgm(maximum gross mass) at 3.5 tonnes, they also said that if I wanted to object about the fine they could also bring in other infractions like claiming VAT on private use and no insurance so I just paid up.

hi Andrew looks good, think i saw you going past Herrington country park in it

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim RS said:

VOSA fined me because mine was plg taxed and that it was mgm(maximum gross mass) at 3.5 tonnes, they also said that if I wanted to object about the fine they could also bring in other infractions like claiming VAT on private use and no insurance so I just paid up.

The cynic in me thinks they were trying to scare you from appealing. I'm not a lawyer by any means but I question the VAT and insurance issues they claim you may face. 

Anyway, nice Raptor. Reminds me of the V8 supercharged version (which I guess is the point of that front end) that Clarkson used to not rescue Hammond from a mountain in Canada...

11 hours ago, cast iron said:

hi Andrew looks good, think i saw you going past Herrington country park in it

Quite possibly, I get about a bit, and I live close by.

12 hours ago, a15cro said:

Quite possibly, I get about a bit, and I live close by.

I know 😉 who gave you a lift to the christmas karting..

55 minutes ago, a15cro said:

@cast iron didn't recognise the user name! Sorry

🤣 Andy, meet Mark ... Mark, this is Andy 

• Haha 2

Great looking truck.

They're all taxed as plg and insured ss commercial van.

1 hour ago, CraigHew said:

Great looking truck.

They're all taxed as plg and insured ss commercial van.

Most pick ups are taxed as light goods vehicles not plg. I think the plg bracket is for those pickups that can't carry 1000kg payload so can't be classed as a commercial. 

10 hours ago, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Most pick ups are taxed as light goods vehicles not plg. I think the plg bracket is for those pickups that can't carry 1000kg payload so can't be classed as a commercial. 

Yeah sorry, forgot about the payload.

Although mine (navara techna double cab) does 1.1 tonnes. Its classed as commercial ( i need van insurance) and is taxed plg (ie £280 ish per year).

32 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

Yeah sorry, forgot about the payload.

Although mine (navara techna double cab) does 1.1 tonnes. Its classed as commercial ( i need van insurance) and is taxed plg (ie £280 ish per year).

So if its taxed as plg that means you can have a max all up weight of 3500kg (as per Jim rs's woes). 

So if your wanting to tow something that takes you over 3.5t, but within the towing capacity of the pickup, how do you go about taxing it? 

Genuinely curious as a pickup maybe entering the fold later this year. 

• Like 1

My license ( B+E ) allows vehicles up to 3,500kgs MAM to be combined with trailers more than 750kgs MAM, but not exceeding 3,500kgs. MAM and the total weight must not be more than 7,000kgs MAM.

Bought the pickup specifically to pull our twin axle caravan when i realised my bm 5 series would struggle.

The pickup payload and hugh capacity luggage bed make camping trips a doddle.

Clearly it hasn't got comfort levels of a decent car but it certainly isnt agricultural to travel in.  We do trips to south of France with the caravan in 2 days no issues... 

Yeah I get the license category thing. I was more asking about the tax brackets. 

Plg has a max weight of 3500kgs. So if your pickup weighs 2t and your towing a 2t trailer. Does that mean it has to be taxed in a different category? Private heavy goods or something else?