Ford Ranger......the story so far....

Andy - a15cro

As some of you will know, I’ve had. Couple of Rangers now, a White 2.2 Limited, then a 3.2 Wildtrak, after a few problems and a new engine later I decided that my relationship with Ford would come to an end, I didn’t like the idea of the 3.2 being discontinued and replaced with a 2.0 bi-turbo unit, seems like I had listened to everyone who wanted to be negative, but very few who had actually tried one. Added with the fact that my local dealer had gone through some pretty major staffing changes (sacked all of the commercial team) and then COVID, I felt like the service just wasn’t there, so Toyota Invincible X was looking very attractive, both quality and financially, however the delivery times of November 2021 was a little disappointing.

Out of the blue the New commercial guy from Ford called me after months of radio silence, I told him my hang ups on the smaller engine, and then he threw me a curve ball, ‘we’ve got one Raptor in the showroom, how about I do you a REALLY good deal?’ Offered a great deal on my Wildtrack 3.5 years old 44K mileage and I would have been daft to turn the offer down. 

So now I have this to drag the Westie about!

I have to say, ear.y days but, the engine is awesome, no even better with my Bluespark box on it increasing the torque to 570nm and BHP to 260. The 10 speed gearbox is so much better than the old one, the Raptor has Fox coil suspension all round and improves the ride, plus rear discs instead of the old drums just top the driving experience off nicely. 

I suppose my point is, don’t always listen to the negatives and rule something out, go and see for yourself and make an educated decision. I nearly missed out! Hopefully the reliability will be better than the last one, I’ve got this for around another three and a half years again. 

BFE8AD7C-930E-425A-B6DD-0C880BCE721D.jpeg

3CBD0AF2-B076-44E0-A690-393FB06302D5.jpeg

7C3E7750-753A-439D-9E1E-22FA8751180B.jpeg

12B50D12-B32C-4736-82E9-C96A0D0E8907.jpeg

D354B375-0549-4812-A33C-F56019A1B11D.jpeg

• Like 1

Love it! I'd remove any mention of chipping though in case you need engine warranty as it could be a very likely reason for damage...

• Like 1

Just now, Kit Car Electronics said:

Love it! I'd remove any mention of chipping though in case you need engine warranty as it could be a very likely reason for damage...

Can’t now, you’ve mentioned it in the comments 😂

It’s plug and play and I always take it off before it goes in for service. The salesman was having a bit chat about the benefits so I don't think I’m alone. 

1 minute ago, a15cro said:

Can’t now, you’ve mentioned it in the comments 😂

It’s plug and play and I always take it off before it goes in for service. The salesman was having a bit chat about the benefits so I don't think I’m alone. 

You're definitely not alone, but I also see engine damage complaints from re-mapped cars (a pet hate of mine), so please be careful 🙂 

• Like 1

btw, is the hitch drop plate standard now? When I had a Ranger it was too high, and didn't suit my Alko hitch

• Like 1

I did quite a bit of research on that kind of thing before I took the plunge a couple of year ago, the reason for the new engine on the last one was Ford didn’t spot a water leak during a service and it ran dry, overheated and knocked its head off. 

The company Is a neighbour to our office so I know their background and history, I will however be keeping a close eye on it. 

22 minutes ago, Kit Car Electronics said:

btw, is the hitch drop plate standard now? When I had a Ranger it was too high, and didn't suit my Alko hitch

Not standard, just on the Raptor (it’s also removable) because it’s got a lift on it with the Fox shocks. I fitted a lift kit on my Wildtrack as well and had to fit a drop plate because the hitch was too high.

C664F4C5-FE49-4B02-BACE-0D56A4DE4BC5.jpeg

• Like 1

Is that one a Raptor? I can’t tell from the discreet badging....

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jim RS said:

I'm interested to know how you get on with the gtw regs?

GTW regs? 

Yes the overall mass of the unit, I only ask as I had an Isuzu with trailer and car and got done for being 260kg(3.76 tonne) over weight and now have to run with a tachograph including all the grief that entails. Wondered whether there was another way around it.

The last one could pull 3.5t this one is 2.5t, it’s a good excuse not to drag big heavy stuff round anymore. I just need to remember my limits.

Ive been overweight on my first Ranger travelling back from Bradford, luckily I took it steady and got back with no issues, however, I don’t need to tow much these days. 

Just now, Steve (sdh2903) said:

Is that towing for business or personal use? 

You don't need a tacho til 7.5 ton for personal use. (providing you have the category on your license) 

That's if it's a private vehicle not commercial and I thought that 4 door pick-ups were now in commercial category, plus if private the restriction they stated is 62 miles from registered address. 

• Like 1

I think I managed to hide my reply instead of edit. 

Is it still not classed as personal use though? If theres no 'reward' involved it's not a commercial vehicle? 

• Like 1