Can somebody tell me what they think of this car

ybotcoombes

7 minutes ago, ianali said:

I’ve never really considered the safety side of my car. You only have to look at it compared to a standard type car and you’ll realise it ain’t gonna now be the safest thing to drive. I have a JAP bar, can’t see me changing it as I like the boot and lid. I guess as I come from the biking world I take anything as a step up, safety wise. Something I do wonder about is, does the windscreen simply fold if you roll the car? 

I have had a lot of convertibles and the windscreen and seat hoops are normally structural (I believe) , looking at these I assume the windscreen would be of no use in a crash, guess it’s better to not think about it.

plus I am a fairly average driver (some would say down right poor)  and not rolled a car yet (touching wood)  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ianali said:

I’ve never really considered the safety side of my car. You only have to look at it compared to a standard type car and you’ll realise it ain’t gonna now be the safest thing to drive. I have a JAP bar, can’t see me changing it as I like the boot and lid. I guess as I come from the biking world I take anything as a step up, safety wise. Something I do wonder about is, does the windscreen simply fold if you roll the car? 

Yes it would just fold. It's only 2 bolts either side through fibreglass.  As would the jap or single rollover bar. 

Your absolutely right on the safety aspect, and as you say you've assessed it and accepted it. We've all seen the pics of these cars that have been in accidents and the odd one that's ended up upside down.

For me the kicker is I take my kids out in the Westfield. And the slightly fugly cumbersome MSA bar might just be the difference between surviving an accident and not.  For me that makes it a no brainer. 

But as stated before don't write off a car for one or 2 details. A few weekends work can have these cars totally transformed. 

You may also be better holding off as there's not that many in the classifieds lately and prices are strong. A wait might see a car in your ideal spec crop up and end up saving you the time and cost modifying one. 

• Like 3

Buy it... 😁

Only thing I would prefer is a big fat Q plate on the front as it makes engine mods and MOTs easier.

But lets be honest, 8.5k for a nice car like that, then a 3 - 4 k budget for twiddling over 3 years ... 

Buy it... or don't... 

i like the car it nearly is.

• Like 1

@ybotcoombes If you are looking for a Westfield as just a road-touring car, rolling over is the least of your worries, unless you are driving well beyond the rules of the road. You're more likely to be hit by another car in what is not more than a 4cyl go-kart, sitting six inches off the tarmac. Those seat hoops you mention in production convertibles are only any good if they are well above the top of the occupants head - don't be fooled by them.

But the enjoyment of Westfield sportscar ownership far outweighs the concerns. If you can accept and manage the risk you'll grin from ear to ear, it's all about context. I've been riding bikes for the last 25-30 years, and our Westfield is a huge step up in safety and comfort for the same amount of fun, and you don't need to look like a Power Ranger each time you go out.

And then there is the camaraderie and support that comes with the excellent WSCC, one of the best car clubs you'll find.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BigSkyBrad said:

been riding bikes for the last 25-30 years, and our Westfield is a huge step up in safety and comfort for the same amount of fun

Totally agree!

49 minutes ago, BigSkyBrad said:

and you don't need to look like a Power Ranger each time you go out.

Oh I don’t know... 😁

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, BigSkyBrad said:

@ybotcoombes Those seat hoops you mention in production convertibles are only any good if they are well above the top of the occupants head - don't be fooled by them.

Most of the convertibles i have had felt pretty safe (boxster, z4 , Elise, MR2), the s2000 always felt like it wanted to kill you and the less said about the Saab the better. I remember pulling up next to a lorry when I first got my Elise and realising I wasn’t even the same height as the wheel , but let’s be honest if you get hit by a lorry it isn’t going to make much difference what you are in.

34 minutes ago, ybotcoombes said:

remember pulling up next to a lorry

Yes that’s a bit scary in a Westy on the motorway. 

But not as scary as the time I came off a bike while “filtering” due to a car driver suddenly swerving in to my path (with nowhere to go).

I was on the floor and cursing - when my head (with a helmet on) bobbed forwards once, then twice. 

I got up to realise it was the wheels of an articulated lorry glancing past my head that made it “Bob” forward a little. 

Just 5-6” further back and I might not be here to tell the tale!

• Sad 2

20 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

Yes that’s a bit scary in a Westy on the motorway. 

But not as scary as the time I came off a bike while “filtering” due to a car driver suddenly swerving in to my path (with nowhere to go).

I was on the floor and cursing - when my head (with a helmet on) bobbed forwards once, then twice. 

I got up to realise it was the wheels of an articulated lorry glancing past my head that made it “Bob” forward a little. 

Just 5-6” further back and I might not be here to tell the tale!

Now that is scary, always fancied a bike (had little 50’s when I was a kid) but know I wouldn’t last long. 

12 minutes ago, ybotcoombes said:

Now that is scary, always fancied a bike (had little 50’s when I was a kid) but know I wouldn’t last long. 

Didn’t put me off - that was when I was maybe 25 - it was some 25 years later I finally gave up riding bikes.

Beauty of a Westie is individuality. From reading this, I reckon you could make the summary that there are no red flags on the car that anyone has spotted so far, but every car is built with certain priorities in mind.

As a few others have mentioned, MSA roll bar was a must for me, as even though I haven't had it on track yet, I knew I'd be doing massive mileage, and as such increasing the risk of encountering the occasion where it might be necessary. Don't compare this to "normal" convertibles. As already mentioned, these generally have structural A pillars to protect the driver. The Westie A pillars are just bolted through the fiberglass, so definitely not structural.

Dave has prioritised differently, but makes a really valid point. You want your car to be as easy to use as possible. A full cage will obviously offer more physical protection, but if it means you'll only go out in the dry because you can't get weather gear on it, that protection is irrelevant. There's a trade off here with the different available bars, and for me, the right balance was the MSA bar and a half hood but it's important to make the car as useable as possible for you. If it's hassle, you won't use it as much, and won't enjoy it as much.

On that point, it's worth paying attention to things like seats, steering wheels, dashboards, storage etc. For me personally again, dash layout was really important. This one appears to be pretty standard there. I went for a custom design, because I wanted to make it easier and more intuitive to use. There are so many more variables with a Westie than a standard car, and wonderfully, almost anything in them can be changed, but you just need to factor in the cost and effort of doing it. 

If it were me, I'd look at all the bits mentioned in this thread, and compare them to how you plan on using the car. Make a budget for what you think you'd want to change. Then double it, because you'll inevitably catch upgraditis and discover a "better" option when you go to change something. Then you can work out whether it's a car that's well suited for you!

• Like 2

@AndrewOBW  that’s a really good summary and good sound advice.

we have the Jap roll bar  and swept wings on the white westy as it’s primary use is touring and days out. And we do a lot of miles in all weathers. The carbon westy is aimed at being tracked and as such has a full cage and aero screen as you say it horses for courses.

As for upgraditus you just have to accept it’s going to happen 😀 not if but when ....

Full cage and aeroscreen here. 

A75E0BC8-0B76-4A8B-8BE9-22F58835DC79.jpeg

pictured on the way back from a 1000 mile tour around Scotland 😁

Little bit surprised about the bike comments.

Westfields\kit car in a crash situation, no thanks.

Although i really like mine....

Forums are all the same for some strange reason, bike, cars.

4 minutes ago, MR.C said:

Little bit surprised about the bike comments.

Westfields\kit car in a crash situation, no thanks.

I know a kit car is not “euro ncap” safe - but way safer than a bike. And I’m coming from 35 years of street/sports bike riding. 

Sorry I'd have to disagree with you there Chris.

Destiny is in your own hands.

Ride Bike safe doesn't mean 20mph.It means knowing your surroundings.

If you crash into another kit car 50\50. Crash into production car, you lose every time.