Can somebody tell me what they think of this car

ybotcoombes

3 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

And this is why so many enthusiastic owners don’t like posting on the forum.

I know I am not even a full member yet ( any news on that admin, regarding payment?), but I have to be quite honest and say this is why I haven't joined in the past . About 10 years ago I did post some pics of my car and got slated for various mods and additions I added ( I can't even recall what they were now so long ago was it !). I decided that perhaps this wasn't the club for me and never posted again.

Having said that the OP hasn't bought the car as yet, but if he did I would like to think any negative views were kept to ones self and not posted.

I have to say though that for the most part this forum is a much kinder place than it once was.

Richard.

• Like 3

The beauty of our Westfields is that every single one is different!

Easy enough to sell a set of rims and buy a secondhand set of 15's or 13's for similar money if you don't like the 17's

Doesn't look a bad price for a 2.0 zetec in the current climate.

Buy it, drive it, love it and personalise it at your leisure! Enjoy!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OldStager said:

... this forum is a much kinder place than it once was.

Richard.

There are always some with mouths larger than brain (in every group/club)

But imo it is far far far better here than in many others places.

• Like 2

Just now, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

I agree entirely!

• Like 1

Yes, it has, and will always be the case. I agree with RobH72, just buy it and change stuff as you see fit, it's your car.

I remember 30 odd years ago when I first modded my old Spitfire for racing, some members of the Triumph club never spoke to me again as in their view I had ruined a perfectly good car, others were the opposite and wanted to know what I had done and even ended up to this day as my best friends

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

There are always some with mouths larger than brain (in every group/club)

I only visit two other forums. Kawasaki z1owners which is awesome, very similar to here actually. Other is a canal boat place.. absolutely evil at times. Need to be very thick skinned 😂.

4 hours ago, Dave Eastwood (Gadgetman) - Club Secretary said:

In fact, if you take a long hard look at many meetings, you’ll find the roll bar thing in particular is rather more popular than the forum would have you believe. (And yes, for anyone taking the car on track, I’d always advise a braced bar, and for competition a cage).

But........ 

On the flip side I think it's fair to point out to a newcomer (that has specifically asked for opinions) that that bar is purely cosmetic and no way structural. Someone unfamiliar with Westfields may not be aware of that and think its a safety device. 

My own personal opinion is that im surprised rollover protection hasn't been brought in to IVA, however I respect other people's opinions and you pays your money and makes your choice. 

• Like 3

I think that because the op asked what we thought, then he got an answer 😁

I don’t think any of us were trying to be unfriendly though. 

(not changed my opinion about 17” rims though 😜)

• Like 2

Was in my post, there are situations where I'd absolutely recommend roll protection, and full roll protection, and for the many that feel uncomfortable about being on the open road without a cage, that's absolutely fine too.

What I wouldn't do, is infer that their choice somehow meant they couldn't be an enthusiast, or somehow diminished them.

For reference, my Sigma car has an RAC bar, because that's what it came with. My Honda car was originally built with the RAC bar I already had from a previous car, (used occasionally on track). The Honda, which isn't a track car was then upgraded to a stock, un-braced, non safety item Jap roll bar. Why do I call it an upgrade, because it improved the cars usability for me, by allowing me to use the car with full weather gear, whenever I wanted. Coincidentally I found myself having to up the cars mileage limit by at least a thousand, on the insurance, the same year. Others do more mileage with just aeroscreens, absolutely, that's fine. I spent years doing the same and, er, am over that now! :) - at least for all year round use.

I take no offence at any of the comments as was looking for feedback :)

have to be honest thought the bar was for safety so a little disconcerted to find when I roll it it won’t protect me !!!

Agree with the comment about the wheels, would probably swap for smaller black alloys (ok stupid question time, can I just swap for 14 or 15 inch alloys or will I need it setup as presumably would be a different height - I am an absolute beginner here )

still trying to get hold of the seller 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ybotcoombes said:

I take no offence at any of the comments as was looking for feedback :)

Excellent!

have to be honest thought the bar was for safety so a little disconcerted to find when I roll it it won’t protect me !!!

It may protect, but not as well as a proper braced bar or cage. Plenty of owners drive with them on! 

Agree with the comment about the wheels, would probably swap for smaller black alloys (ok stupid question time, can I just swap for 14 or 15 inch alloys or will I need it setup as presumably would be a different height - I am an absolute beginner here )

14" wheels give tyre choice problems- stick the current tyre/wheel sized into here- https://www.willtheyfit.com/

and it will advise ride height changes etc v.s. standard sizes e.g. 205/50/15's etc.

It's probably worth having the suspension geo checked anyhow just so you know it's right etc.

• Like 1

also, depends what you plan to use the car for. That one would be a terrible track car but an ok cake shop tourer. 

When looking for wheels, it kind of pays to start with what tyres you want to run, and that leads into how you will want to use the car, on those tyres!

For a car used mainly on track, or cross country blats in reasonable weather, there are a good choice of 13” tyres, in particular trackday style tyres, still available. And 13” wheels do really suit lightweight cars like Westfields, when it comes to handling.

The problems come, when you want something for a little bit more touring/year round usage, able to cope with rather worse weather conditions etc. While many of the trackday style tyres are still ok in the wet, cold becomes more of a factor, and they can catch you out. At that point, 15” size tyres probably have a more suitable range of options, while still working well on Westfields. 

Do 17” and 16” wheel/tyre options work on these cars, not as well as 15’s and in turn 13’s is the short answer, but it does over simplify things!

Will only be using this for weekend blasting around, may take on a track but would be a one off (unless I got addicted)

would probably be easier if one of you would sell me your sorted car at a massive forum discount :)

• Haha 4

I’ve never really considered the safety side of my car. You only have to look at it compared to a standard type car and you’ll realise it ain’t gonna now be the safest thing to drive. I have a JAP bar, can’t see me changing it as I like the boot and lid. I guess as I come from the biking world I take anything as a step up, safety wise. Something I do wonder about is, does the windscreen simply fold if you roll the car?