Christmas Lego

fil46

3 minutes ago, Glen_I said:

my pride and joy was the Technic car, you all know the one....twin shocks on the rear, red adjustable seats, 4 cylinder boxer engine and working transmission iirc??

That was the Lego Technic car chassis 8860, got mine as an xmas present in 1980 aged 7 when it was released, I remember my Dad had to help me with it as I was a bit young for that model but do remember mastering my reverse parking with it! .. still got it today 😎 .. and my collection is now a whole lot bigger LOL !

This is the last remaining lego set of mine from when I was a youngster. 

IMG_20210303_204715.thumb.jpg.eda35a7b24956cb67176b2197c5e16cf.jpg

My youngest wants to take it to bits, but I won't let him and I don't have the instructions to put it back together! 😂

• Like 2

@marcusbFair play for hanging on to it....my parents were never precious about keeping things including all my old Scalextric so it all got either given or thrown away.....

20 minutes ago, Glen_I said:

@marcusbFair play for hanging on to it....my parents were never precious about keeping things including all my old Scalextric so it all got either given or thrown away.....

@Glen_I you can find these old sets on popular auction sites if you fancy getting back into it 😎

47 minutes ago, Glen_I said:

I looked about 10mins ago!!🙈

Buy it Buy it.. consider it a long term investment  😆

Maybe my daughters want one to go with their scalextric, Tamiya Grasshopper, and little drones.....😉

2 hours ago, Glen_I said:

I had every 2000AD comic from the first to about 800 and something. My parents binned them in a purge after I left home...

11 hours ago, Blatman said:

I had every 2000AD comic from the first to about 800 and something. My parents binned them in a purge after I left home...

Nooooooooo! 🥺

My parents sent my Star wars figures and spaceships to a car boot.

Luckily all my Space lego was kept.

I remember throwing away numerous Lego boxes and instructions after I built the sets as a kid, quite collectable today 😭

It might just be my age, but I think I generally prefer those Lego Technic kits from the 1980's, when there were more standard parts and they were less realistic

• Like 1

I know what you mean, the Ducati I got https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/ducati-panigale-v4-r-42107 is detailed and clever with a working 2 speed gearbox (and good value I thought) but I can't really do a great deal with it as lots of parts are specific for that model, i.e fairing panels.

Is this a sign of the times and these are aimed at us older kids reliving our youth and most of us have no intentions of building something else as it will take pride of place on a shelf?

One of the blokes I work with has a lovely collection of original Tamiya RC cars, Grasshopper, Hornet, Rothmans 959, and a couple more. He has restored them all and spent hours spraying the bodyshells (he is a graphic designer), and when I mention charging the batteries up and having a play his face just drops, they won't see dust and dirt apart from the dust on the shelf it seems!

It might just be my age, but I think I generally prefer those Lego Technic kits from the 1980's, when there were more standard parts and they were less realistic

I feel much the same.  It seems a shame that many kits are geared around making just one model.  It's not engendering creativity.  Meccano seems to be going the same way.

Relating to previous posts,  as a teenager I sold my original lego and the Meccano my Dad handed down to me (for which I will never forgive myself) and my Scalextric to fund motorbikes. Some years ago I started collecting original Meccano and Scalextric - all the cars I used to have, and some new ones as well.  Nice to relive it a bit and I won't make the mistake of selling it this time, even though it doesn't get used much.