What type of driver are you?

TAFKARM

There are three types of driver, those who rarely touch the limit, those who overdrive and those who get the most from the car, through every corner, on every lap.

The comfort driver

This driver doesn’t exactly know where the limit of grip is and is unsure about how far to push their car.

They may have pushed hard on occasion, but they’re not consistently using the car’s full potential – which leads to slow cornering speeds and ultimately a poor performance.

This driver doesn’t have a strategy to find the limit and push it further. They feel as if they’re behind the car and lack confidence, reacting to slides rather than predicting them.

The instinct driver

This driver has the confidence to push hard, although may only be driving to “a limit” rather than the “absolute limit”.

Often, this driver may look fast but will be off the pace, not understanding why.

They frequently make mistakes that at best accumulate to tens of seconds over a race distance and worse could lead to a crash.

This driver does not have a process to assess the balance of the car and how they can manipulate their technique to generate grip and improve lap time.

The conscious driver

This driver can predict when their car will slide and manipulate their driving style to generate a higher cornering speed and faster lap time.

Their core technique is refined through every phase of every corner, on every lap. They rarely make mistakes, continually improve performance through each session and feel in total control of their race car.

I think I'm in the "instinct" driver. I've been making a conscious effort to get faster, and to be honest, I think I've got a fair bit better but I'm still driving at "a limit" rather than "the absolute limit". 

I'm comfortable with the car moving around but definitely need to work on improving my technique to increase grip and really need to work on my consistency. I sometimes suffer from "target fixation" trying to catch the car in front which is when I make mistakes. 

I think I'm quite good on the brakes though. 

How about you? What are you wanting to improve in 2021?

i think im a bit of the comfort and a bit of the instinct. i feel through this year i've learnt a lot about my car and a lot about myself as a driver. but i also have nothing to gauge this off so in the new year i am going to buy myself an aim solo2 so i have some idea as to if i'm actually making any headway or just getting worse.

i also need alot more seat time in the wet. i become the comfort driver in the wet and tend to drive so slowly that the tyre's dont get warm. i know that i need to push more the get the best from the car in the wet and stop being so tense about the whole affair 

but in the dry i feel like i'm ok i can keep up with some of the cars with more power and better drivers than me. 

im also going to try and attempt a few round of the speed series to see just how bad i am

Seeing as we aren’t supposed to live time Ben, I try to film everything and keep an archive of the footage 

1 minute ago, Rush Motorspork said:

Seeing as we aren’t supposed to live time Ben, I try to film everything and keep an archive of the footage 

i wont be able to see my solo ill only be able to check it in the pits for this very reason

What about the fourth type of driver..the one that hasn't got a clue..no idea where the limit is...but finds it regularly and annoys all the others on the track day when it is red flagged to pull him or her out of the gravel!

• Haha 1

I was going to suggest I am the 2nd (instinct driver) but Moles 4th type of driver has me struggling now. lol

• Haha 2

As petrolheads we are never going to be unbiased with our self assessment!

So we should be allocating driver types to others 😁😬

8 minutes ago, Dave (OnliestSmeg) - Manchester AO said:

As petrolheads we are never going to be unbiased with our self assessment!

So we should be allocating driver types to others 😁😬

This thread is a safe space for honest reflection! 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, MR.C said:

Rush , Cars absolute limit or the driver's absolute limit, I would imagine not many people

can get near the car's full potential.

@AdamR

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Michael Whitworth said:

I was going to suggest I am the 2nd (instinct driver) but Moles 4th type of driver has me struggling now. lol

Nah that special category is reserved for Russ 😃

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Rush Motorspork said:

Veey kind. But yes, I feel I can make the car do what I want it to do, rather than reacting to whatever it does, if that makes sense...

• Like 1

I used to ride mx, and i thought i was fast....ish.

Then you watch national riders on your local (big) track

and you think wow them guys are soooooo fast.........

Then the GP guys come and you think "how is that possible?"

It seems to deify the laws of physic's of what is possible!

There are some seriously fast drivers amongst our trackday clan. 

Always makes me smile when we're blasting past other cars when we all manage to get out together in a train

• Like 2