What type of driver are you?

TAFKARM

I get that mate 100%,just when you see a pro do it,

You realise why they are pro's and track day'ers are amateur's.

Track day'ers x10 local racer's x 10 national x 10 pro's.

I was an instinct driver until I fitted a massive turbo, then quickly became a comfort driver...

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Rush Motorspork said:

I think I'm in the "instinct" driver. I've been making a conscious effort to get faster, and to be honest, I think I've got a fair bit better but I'm still driving at "a limit" rather than "the absolute limit". 

I'm comfortable with the car moving around but definitely need to work on improving my technique to increase grip and really need to work on my consistency. I sometimes suffer from "target fixation" trying to catch the car in front which is when I make mistakes. 

I think I'm quite good on the brakes though. 

How about you? What are you wanting to improve in 2021?

A fine line here...

I swipe between insctint and conscious. In the last 5 years or so, I have become much more aware of setups, car balance, weight transfers and my own technique... but once in the car and on the heat of the moment, I do easily drive to  "a-pretty high- limit" but when I do try to  push myself to drive conciously fast to the absolute limit trying to apply a dinamics logic and knowing what I want the car do to, I tend to overload my processor that leads me to massive mistakes. Good thing tho, I´m able to know where am and I can see the mistakes coming.

Largely I’m an instinct driver and like to mess about and have fun.    I will consciously work on bits of the track I feel I’m not getting right or loosing potential.    But for me it’s not all about speed or 1/10th of a second here and there but fun.  On the likes of Curborough and on the track alone I’m just pushing it well past the limits, drifting it, spinning, and being a huligan .  The limits on track days largely depend on who/ what’s around me and the conditions.   Exploring beyond the limits when alone on a grippy dry circuit is great... the same can’t be said  when a 1500kg m3 3” off your bumper in the wet.   

I’m just slow 😁

...but yes the comfort driver describes me I think. Need to push it more and learn about how to handle things on and over the limit.

Obviously an MX5 will help but I have no room @Rush Motorspork

• Haha 1

I think I'd have to put myself in tier two.. 😉

I usually run a data logger, and when double driving with my son we can compare laps. After driving my puddings off.. I'm usually up to two seconds slower than him, so I'm aware of my ability or lack of.. 😞 

Agree with what's been said about video. I can see all sorts of things I'm doing wrong on a vid, that I'm not aware of when I'm doing it! It's a good coaching aid. 

30 minutes ago, Ben(EBD-ENG) said:

gotta be careful we don't start spending more time in the paddock analyzing videos than we do on track lol

🙂 I dont get to see my vids until I get home. Too late to do anything about it. I do try to remember to watch over a previous visit to a circuit before doing it again though.

Just realized.. @Rush Motorspork is "filming" his laps, and I'm "videoing" mine. Are we behind the times? 😃

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Andrew said:

so I'm aware of my ability or lack of.. 😞 

...if you are lacking, I’m doomed!

34 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster said:

...if you are lacking, I’m doomed!

Oh we're all lacking.. just by different amounts. 😉 

51 minutes ago, Andrew said:

🙂 I dont get to see my vids until I get home. Too late to do anything about it. I do try to remember to watch over a previous visit to a circuit before doing it again though.

Just realized.. @Rush Motorspork is "filming" his laps, and I'm "videoing" mine. Are we behind the times? 😃

depends if your viewing them on vhs when you get home

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Rush Motorspork said:

I think I'm in the "instinct" driver. I've been making a conscious effort to get faster, and to be honest, I think I've got a fair bit better but I'm still driving at "a limit" rather than "the absolute limit". 

I'm comfortable with the car moving around but definitely need to work on improving my technique to increase grip and really need to work on my consistency. I sometimes suffer from "target fixation" trying to catch the car in front which is when I make mistakes. 

I think I'm quite good on the brakes though. 

How about you? What are you wanting to improve in 2021?

I think Russ sums up how I feel about me too, apart from I know I need to work on braking as I don't launch into some corners hard enough. I must admit that track time  builds confidence . I always think its not how fast you can go but how smooth and consistent you do it. I just want more track time to try and get better.

• Like 1

This will be interesting...

For FWD, I'd say I'm a conscious driver. I have close to 500bhp through the front wheels, which can best be described as "lively". I've owned the car in various states of tune for about 17 years and over 200,000 road miles, so I'm utterly in tune with how it drives. I've won the FWD handling class at Ten of the Best twice and I've posted FTD at several club days at Curborough.

When I'm driving on track (usually sprints or other timed events) I tend to do a decent banker time, then get faster and faster until I step too far over the limit and screw up the lap, then my final run is usually my best by quite a margin.

For RWD (ie my Westie), I haven't yet taken it on track, but just from the road driving I've done, I'm going to have to re-learn how to drive close to the limit and how to cope when I've exceeded the limit. I'd definitely say I'll be an instinct driver. I'm quick enough and don't mind pushing it to find the limit, but the behaviour of FWD and RWD on the other side of the limit are very different - it'll take a while, but should be fun

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 02/12/2020 at 22:20, Dommo said:

I was an instinct driver until I fitted a massive turbo, then quickly became a comfort driver...

The massive turbo changed my driving too, I am now the late breaking driver as that is the only tool I have to try and keep with those who cheat with forced induction.

I am probably in comfort driver category as passengers seem to find my driving dull and I rarely depart the track.

you have clearly missed out my category

4. Clueless

• Haha 1