Dash Mounted Horn Switch

CraigHew

Looking for some recommendations.

My current horn button is mounted on the dash, below my left hand position behind the steering wheel (see picture to the left of Dash2).  It's a decent enough, discrete and works well.  However in the few and far between times you need to sound the horn in an emergency situation, especially with gloves on, it sometimes takes a little longer than I'd like to locate and operate.

Without going ridiculous, I'm looking to replace it with some kind of mushroom headed beast that you know you can hit without really looking for it.

I've looked in CBS and at RS components but can't seem to find one that fits the bill.

Any suggestions?

10k_spedo2.thumb.JPG.3471a8edeba43ac9a8bfbf17fc79a931.JPG

1 hour ago, CraigHew said:

My current horn button is mounted on the dash, below my left hand position behind the steering wheel (see picture to the left of Dash2).  It's a decent enough, discrete and works well.  However in the few and far between times you need to sound the horn in an emergency situation, especially with gloves on, it sometimes takes a little longer than I'd like to locate and operate.

Without going ridiculous, I'm looking to replace it with some kind of mushroom headed beast that you know you can hit without really looking for it.

I've looked in CBS and at RS components but can't seem to find one that fits the bill.

Any suggestions?

10k_spedo2.thumb.JPG.3471a8edeba43ac9a8bfbf17fc79a931.JPG

Do you require it to have a Horn symbol on ? Or would a red non latching mushroom head like this work?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/push-button-heads/3309035/

p.s. I'd be embarrassed to show my Odometer on here with such a low mileage 😉

• Haha 2

Must admit to the same issue. Little use often means confusion between main beam switch and horn switch and then the moment has gone. Would be an advantage to swap the horn switch for a push button as it makes it more obvious which one is the anger button. 
Don’t really want red to be really fussy so watching this thread for advise!

button.jpg.1039fa83f2f6de887125f3a000394d06.jpg

• Haha 2

There's always the option of a 3d printed one. Could have a nice recess to attach a horn logo sticker. Could be any size and shape you want.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

p.s. I'd be embarrassed to show my Odometer on here with such a low mileage 😉

It's an old photo you mammary...:p

I looked at the RS one, not too sure how it wires up, think you need to buy a "collar" for it. Might give them a ring.

38 minutes ago, CraigHew said:

It's an old photo you mammary...:p

I looked at the RS one, not too sure how it wires up, think you need to buy a "collar" for it. Might give them a ring.

@CraigHew

They are usually mutli part- button, contacts, collars bulbs etc.

This is the collar (holds it to the dash from behind) -https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/3310142/

And a normally open contact (10A rating) - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/3310473/

There's lots of other brands and choices- https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/automation-control-gear/industrial-push-buttons-pilot-lights-control-stations/push-button-heads/?applied-dimensions=4294573055,4293221815

Let me know your preference for size, colour etc and I'll help specify all the bits to order. Ask my nicely and I'll even order on my account to get it at trade, with free delivery to your 'Care home' 😉 (Same offer is available to you @AndrewBClarke)

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Let me know your preference for size, colour etc and I'll help specify all the bits to order. Ask my nicely and I'll even order on my account to get it at trade, with free delivery to your 'Care home' 😉 (Same offer is available to you @AndrewBClarke)

@Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO, thanks that's extremely generous of you.  I'm drawn to;

the Schneider mushroom in red (RS Stock No. 330-9035 Mfr. Part No. ZB4BC4) plus the XB4 Collar (RS Stock No. 331-0142 Mfr. Part No. ZB4BZ009) and the contact block (RS Stock No. 331-0473 Mfr. Part No. ZBE101)......

Do you think that's what I need?

Move it to the steering wheel:d

3EAB4518-9852-47B1-9D92-FFAFB644B46C.thumb.jpeg.bd970ed04cececb0189bdd72ff981a9e.jpeg

The red one:oops:

Note my ignition is switch off:down:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CraigHew said:

One of these in the pic would suit your driving style and speed perfectly👍

Screenshot_20200710-220030_Samsung Internet.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Nice to see someone looking after the grumpy old men👍

Well done😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/07/2020 at 21:29, Andy (Sycho) said:

Move it to the steering wheel:d

Hi  Andy, hope you're well.  

I seriously considered a freewheel system but ideally want the button on the dash rather than follow the buttons round in circles as the steering wheel moves.  Clearly most of the time the steering will be straight so maybe a freewheel would be ok.  Anyway, mushroom button arriving tomorrow.....

• Like 1

OK, to round this thread out here's the finished result;

After selecting the desired components (Schneider Electric XB4 momentary button (Part ZB4BC4) XB4 collar (Part ZB4BZ009) and the contact block (Part ZBE101)) @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO kindly ordered them via his account with RS Components.

Accessed the dash by removing retaining screws, dry fitted everything to check clearances etc, removed old horn button and cut the 2 wires.

Test fitted the wires to check everything on the new unit worked correctly and the horn indeed sounded.

Using step drill drilled out the previous (12mm) hole to 22mm to accommodate the new button. Connected 2 wires into new contact block and clicked the block into the collar. Pushed the new button through the hole, lined up the collar and pushed into position with a click.  There is a screw on the collar (pictured) that can be used to hold the collar firm against the rear side of the dash panel if needed. I found the 22mm hole a tight interference fit for the button so haven't yet tightened that screw.

Refitted dash screws. Job done. Ian did worry that the switch, being an industrial item, may be "heavy" to operate.  I can confirm that it's absolutely fine in reality. I was grateful for his input though as I haven't come across this type of switch (with collar and contact block) before

Even Stevie Wonder wearing welding gauntlets can now hit the horn button without looking.

20200713_125250.thumb.jpg.80799189d343462a2f6e9b9cb14b530d.jpg

20200713_132914.thumb.jpg.9bb98f4f5391c8213be411fe8ec1ec7c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1