Going to the Factory next week....

MikeJG

Hi to you all.

I retired last week and I seem to have half approval from herself that I can build a car, and so I have booked an appointment at Kingswinford with a view to sorting out what's required and if I have my arm twisted, signing on the dotted line.

I went about a year ago to convince myself I was capable and wanted to. This time is serious. I am thinking of a Special Edition FW with some bits to make it work best if I do some track days.

What must I do and what must I not do, or am I bonkers in the first place?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeJG said:

Hi to you all.

I retired last week and I seem to have half approval from herself that I can build a car, and so I have booked an appointment at Kingswinford with a view to sorting out what's required and if I have my arm twisted, signing on the dotted line.

I went about a year ago to convince myself I was capable and wanted to. This time is serious. I am thinking of a Special Edition FW with some bits to make it work best if I do some track days.

What must I do and what must I not do, or am I bonkers in the first place?

If @Simon Westwood - Westfield Sportscars Ltd gets the fine China out your in trouble.

Make sure you visit @Westfield Parts Dept and meet Patrick and Jason as well as Ian, as he will

likely be answering any queries down the line anyway.

If you know which engine you want to go for start deciding on which options you want to take.

Are you going for a full kit or a modular build?

:ww: @MikeJG

Ask for the Stoneleigh discount. It's not your fault the show was cancelled and you weren't able to place your order there as you intended.... 😉

Are you building it?

• Like 3

You will soon discover a Westfield is so much more than a fantastic car, I have been to so many places, met many people of all ages and really enjoy driving and tinkering. Keep us updated and don’t be afraid of putting any questions to us!

Andy

• Like 1

Just do it. I did the same post retirement and really enjoyed it. Still driving and still smiling.

• Like 1

Welcome to the fold Mike.

as said above post up as many questions as you can think of before you go and afterwards.

Do you have an engine in mind that you prefer?

And no your definitely not bonkers ..... well no more than the rest of us 😁

Thank you everyone.

I definitely intend to build it myself. Never done one before but I am an engineer with an early career at GM.

I am thinking to just get a standard 150bhp Duartec to start. Not sure whether to just get the whole lot or modular build. I’ve got a bit of space but am struggling to invisage how much a whole kit will take up if I take it all at once.

Do I need anti roll bars. Do they add cornering speed or just add weight and make it corner flatter?

11 minutes ago, MikeJG said:

Thank you everyone.

I definitely intend to build it myself. Never done one before but I am an engineer with an early career at GM.

I am thinking to just get a standard 150bhp Duartec to start. Not sure whether to just get the whole lot or modular build. I’ve got a bit of space but am struggling to invisage how much a whole kit will take up if I take it all at once.

You can order the whole kit but hold off on collecting your bodywork till you need it.

whole kit without bodywork.

0BEF6927-0046-497C-A201-26EB23CCBAB0.thumb.jpeg.d96becfbc5f42263f7e6ec45434cc88d.jpeg

Whole kit including bodywork looks a bit like this

2F35A5D5-A580-4BD1-A96F-4528B851B810.thumb.jpeg.fa1b8d170680777d0bc62b1cd3bba875.jpeg

Congratulations on retirement and what a marvelous opportunity to take on an interesting, and rewarding project. I recommend it wholeheartedly, primarily because of the support and friendship which you will experience through this club. 

A great experience being a Westfield Owner!

My only advise is before signing on the dotted line talk to as many people in the club as you can to gain as much input as your brain can absorb on everyones experiences!

Building a car is a very satisfying experience but be clear what you would like to do with when its ready to go!

Is it road work only?

Will the wife want to come along? 

Do you have a desire to compete at any time?

When you have your personal profile sorted then you start working up the spec of the car you need to build!

Area meetings, this forum and the telephone are a great source of information and if used well may save you a great deal of money and avoidance of disappointments after the initialperiod of many hours in the garage!

Best wishes and maybe we will meet up sometime!

Graham/Glutey

Well done on making it through to retirement. 

As for the car the very first thing you need is decide what you want it to be used for a car to take trips with your wife with the odd track day, or one that is happier on track  but useable on the road.

I have known so many who get swept along and end up with a great car but not the one they really want. You will also hear a lot about upgraditus, which is fun but in truth trying to get it right in the first place for you is the cheapest option in the long run. Take brakes for example, if you buy the standard ones then decide to upgrade you have bought twice.

Unless things have changed when you place your order, then go away and start talking with others, you can upgrade the order and swap bits to what you now want.

You do not say where you are but there will be members around who will happily chat and if we ever get to be able to meet again going to a locla meet is a great way to get ideas.

You will have a ball.

The kit photos have answered my question. Thank you Si. Bodywork stays at the factory.

The car will have a bit of road fun and a few track days. I am not going racing, only swapping lap times with a couple of mates; but neither will the missus ever get in it!

I live just next to a country B-road in Shropshire, so entertainment can be had 2 minutes after pulling out of the garage but the entertainment needs to start at sensible and legal speeds.

Any spec advice thoughts?

Try it without ARBs first. Unless you’re Fangio the weakest link is usually the nut behind the wheel! 😄

Road tyres (not sticky stuff like 888s). No ARBs. Decent ride height and plenty of sump clearance. 'Soft' suspension. Decent alignment. Good ergonomics.