Used slicks (where from)

Simon Waterfall Syman84

OK so as I will probably doing a few more track days now this year than sprinting and I don't want to burn out a set of soft slicks. 

So where are people getting there used tyres from in need of 

180/550/R13

240/570/R13

Or equivalent, something that will last a good few days

@Andrew where are yours from 

Those are odd sizes. Usually cars run 195/530/13 and 250/570/13 in Avons of which if you put a wanted ad on UHR you will get some bites. Those sizes are good on 8-8.5 and 10-10.5 inch rims

16 minutes ago, John said:

Those are odd sizes. 

They are the size on my wets. So will be slightly higher for clearance in the wet I think. 

So the size you state above would work.

Thanks John 

I've been using Pirelli 200/540 or Hankook 180/550  on 8" rims. (Both the same tread width believe it or not!) You could probably do with something narrower on the front I guess. I used to use Michelin 16/54 on 6 or 7" rims on the front but the supply dried up, so switched to the wider fronts. You still see the odd 16/53 Michy on ebay but I suspect they'll be getting on a bit. 

Have got some Hankooks coming from this seller now. Pal (JeffC) negotiated a bulk buy as he was after a set too.. I forget what they cost but they'll be cheaper than on ebay. Worth giving him a call. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/paultwin82/m.html?item=274332261396&hash=item3fdf7a1c14%3Ag%3ATnIAAOSwWoRej5MM&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, syman84 said:

They are the size on my wets. So will be slightly higher for clearance in the wet I think. 

So the size you state above would work.

Thanks John 

No point in copying anything that came with the car. They could be any old ****e just to sell it and not the best

• Like 2

ok so 8 inch front wheels and 9 inch rear wheels. suggestions please on whats out there that fit those sizes

thanks   

11 minutes ago, syman84 said:

ok so 8 inch front wheels and 9 inch rear wheels. suggestions please on whats out there that fit those sizes

thanks   

for the 8" as I posted.. 9" no idea. 😉 The 8" slicks I use come from MSA F4 or maybe F3 fronts. They'll use wider tyres on the rear but I think they may be 10" rears ...having just googled ..

Btw if you opt for Hankooks C92 is the better compound.

Just now, Andrew said:

for the 8" as I posted.. 9" no idea. 😉 The 8" slicks I use come from MSA F4 or maybe F3 fronts. They'll use wider tyres on the rear but I think they may be 10" rears ...having just googled ..

Btw if you opt for Hankooks C92 is the better compound.

i was wondering about the c92 and if it would be too soft but if thats what youare using then i might give them a whirl

6 minutes ago, syman84 said:

i was wondering about the c92 and if it would be too soft but if thats what youare using then i might give them a whirl

It is the softer of the two.. but the tyres are past their best when we get them. I've used C72 before and they weren't as good.

• Like 1

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-180-550-13-hankook-soft-rally-tyres-racing-tyres-trackday-tyres-circuit-tyre/283633886111?hash=item4209e5a39f:g:ECYAAOSwfwRdmFm-

Tyre Size           Pattern           Rim Width (inch)  Optimum Width (Inch)   Diameter (mm)   Section Width (mm)       Tread Width             Revs per Mile        Compound

180/550R13         F200                  8.0-9.0                         8.5                           550                            238                                     200                        957                        C92

looks like they will fit a 9 inch rear as well so 

just spoken to him he has a few in so think i will get a set 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Andrew said:

It is the softer of the two.. but the tyres are past their best when we get them. I've used C72 before and they weren't as good.

just spoken to him so i think i will give them a go 

• Like 1

Try contacting a lower level Formula team. When I was working with Scorpio Motorsport there was a lorry full of old tyres that had only done 2/3 events, lots of life left on them. Since they have no need for them they were willing to sell them for cheap

When we had the Radical I managed to get some ex F3 slicks from somewhere, I think it was the tyre place in Perry Barr that gave me the lead (BMTR).

Not keen to go back to slicks again, what a load of hassle! And no good on puddles.

3 hours ago, John said:

Dint know you had 9s on rear

Have a gander at this http://www.avonmotorsport.com/motorsport/radial/13-radial-slick for sizing ideas

I have 10 inch rear 8 inch front, on the force set of wheels currently with Avon slicks for sprinting. 

I have a set of cxr's with a 9 inch rear 8 inch front that I can use for a set of track day slicks.