Even in Lockdown you need to start that engine!!

AndrewBClarke

Does sound awesome, my uncle used to street rod with Rover V8’s which is what got me into cars...so will always have a soft spot for that purr...

Can’t get it out at the moment Geoffrey or I would ,hope your keeping well .

Waiting for the end of this Lockdown so I can get out ,I think we should all have an impromptu Blat with a LeMans style start as soon as it’s announced .

On 13/04/2020 at 14:34, Paul T said:

It's a good idea to brim the tank before storing and make sure the tank is properly sealed (pop a pipe clamp on the breather - and of course a ribbon/note on the steering wheel to remind you it's there!).

It's air and lack of vapour pressure and exposure to fresh air that kills the Octane rating and other light fractions in the petrol (which will evaporate off if the fuel tank isn't sealed), brimming it reduces the air volume the fuel can evaporate into and sealing the breather allows a pressure head to form and stop continuous evaporation over time.

I'm not too strict personally but always fill up with super if the car has been stood for any length of time :yes:

Also a good idea to blow the tyres to 50psi for storage. Helps stop flat spots. We use that pressure for new cars as they travel the world on delivery.. Works

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tex said:

Also a good idea to blow the tyres to 50psi for storage. Helps stop flat spots. We use that pressure for new cars as they travel the world on delivery.. Works

Didn’t know that - every day’s a school day 😁

2 hours ago, tex said:

I'd also put a post it note on your dash to advise to drop them back down before driving. As in post lock down excitement, you don't want to go backwards off the road through a hedge at the first corner......................

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Didn’t know that - every day’s a school day 😁

Yea, some cars go on big boats to tuther side o' World.. Takes quite a while. Sitting in stifling cargo ships across the equator etc the rubber must get really hot n soft. 2 ton cars will cause issues I'd guess. 

4 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

I'd also put a post it note on your dash to advise to drop them back down before driving. As in post lock down excitement, you don't want to go backwards off the road through a hedge at the first corner......................

Aye, I've got a series of notes for really important stuff for example if oils out for a while it'd be easy to accidentally forget. 

Or no brakes.. 

Suspension unsafe.. 

Just bits of card with notes written on hang on steering wheel. 

We have to test them at that pressure which isn't as bad as it sounds

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tex said:

series of notes for really important stuff

Me too 😁

5 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Interestingly the amount of grip with that sort of pressure drops off very little. What you do get though is much less compliance in the tyre, so the car would feel very 'jiggly' and respond more quickly to steering input (generates max lateral g at reduced slip angle). Depending on the car and tyre, I've seen 70psi+ be the fastest setup on some race cars!

I have my car on some of the 'dollies' which are curved to fit the tyre better. Hopefully that will do the trick!

5 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

I thought that was the primary objective lol😊

Sound just like mine :) How could anyone complain about that lovely noise.

• Like 1

Little start up vid, no V8 purr but just hearing a 4 pot running is nice in the current climate!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Paul T said:

Little start up vid, no V8 purr but just hearing a 4 pot running is nice in the current climate!

That’s great!  Sounds good 👌 

• Like 3

On 14/04/2020 at 12:49, shrops-paul said:

Sorry, slight drift, but does anyone else think that it seems motorcyclists are 'exempt' form the lock down. Suns out and they are everywhere. Cant all be on essential travel.

I keep thinking of getting the Westie out while the roads are quiet 😐

Hi mate, I hope your well. I use my Harley on nice days to go to work as I know a lot of other bikers do, I did the last 2 days, but I'm sure there's a lot taking the p..s as well. When Mrs P is back on the road I'll use it to go to work. I don't think there's any harm if it's an essential journey using what ever you have in garage. 

• Like 2