Just for fun....

chrisbin

Well, I might soon be in a position to choose a car for my daily use with a budget of £20k  :)

Running costs will not be my problem  :D  and the choice is as open as possible.....

So what do you guys reckon???

I probably have to limit myself to at worst semi 4 seaters......

Mileage will not be excessive, mainly local area i.e. not going up and down m-ways.

Interesting ideas that have passed through my mind so far are

New: Mazda RX8, 3 series (but only a boring one), Audi A4, Impreza......

Used (say up to 2 years old): 330Ci Sport, TT,

Used (older): 911 (964), Cerbera, M5,

All contributions welcome (hopefully a few will be serious!!;)

???????

???  ???

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chrisbin

• adhawkins

• oioi

• Mark B

Don't think you'll get a Mazda RX8 for 20k, weren't they more like 25?

My list would probably include something like:

Focus ST170 (my current car, Ok, but nothing special)

Mondeo ST220 (or whatever the current version is)

Seat Leon Cupra R (drove the Cupra when looking last, great car)

Honda Civic Type R (only 2 door though, and low spec as far as toys go I think)

That's a start, all 'sensible' cars, that you can have a bit of fun in. The Focus is an excellent handling car, just lacking a little in the engine department. The Civic is fairly well regarded in the engine department I think, just not sure about the handling. Also there's no air-con etc. I don't think (but check that, could have changed).

Andy

Thanks Andy - swift as usual!

Cupra R is indeed a good idea new.

Think you could get lower power (higher torque) RX8 for £20k

(we're talking purchase price, not "list")

:)

Ok, I'll take your word for it on the Mazda. Saw it on top gear and they seemed to rate it quite well. Not sure about the prices, was just going from memory.

Another one you might consider is the Skoda RS. Ignore the badge and realise it's basically a Passatt (or is it a Bora) with a pretty decent engine in it too.

Andy

I have been using a TT for the last two years.  Experience has generally been good although bits do fall off despite what they say about build quality (passenger sun visor, side repeater indicators).  What it isn't is a semi four seater, If you are anything like 5ft 10 or over then there is no room behind you.  Treat strictly as a 2 seater. Car contains warning not to sit anyone over about 4ft 6 in the back due to headroom as you will decapitate them when shutting the rear hatch. Have to say 4ft 6 would be a very tight squeeze unless they lay along the back seat!

With the back seats down there is plenty of luggage space for a 2 week holiday in France, get 34 mpg (according to computer) on a long run, 26'ish around town.  This is for a 225 bhp coupe

Had an Imprezza Turbo before that - much more fun but very thirsty.

Hope it helps

Only driven a TT once (on an 'experience' day at Oulton Park).

Agree about the space thing. I made a point of looking behind me when the driver's seat was set right (I'm 6'2"). I doubt you'd have got a cigarette packet between the driver's seat and the rear seat.

As for the drive, can't say I was overly impressed. More importantly, the instructor didn't think much of them either (they were a fairly recent addition to the circuit at the time).

Andy

Drove my sisters tt 225 at christmas. Not impressed. Good in a straight line; but bl**** awful round twisty bits. Steering waaaay too light

Also ...felt like I was sitting ON the car not in it :arse:

If you wanna go quick you've got to feel secure and confident....And I just didn't.

At least the xtr4 should give the engines a better home

:D

Cupra R is a cracking car, and I have only driven the 210bhp version - the 225 should be even better. I reckon it's everything you need for 18K. In Black, with the Recaro interior.

IMHO rx8 looks better in the magazines than it does in real life, the 350z is gorgeous though.  Just my 2p's worth....

Scruffy

Thanks for those thoughts...

Re. Trevor for everyday use....well, I know its a bit risky, but a mate of mine has had a Griffith and 2 Cerby's and done it without many problems...... ??? And I like 'em !!

Also thanks for observations re. TT's lack of space. I would only need space for 2 small (but growing) kids at weekends. And there would always be option of using wife's 4x4. But I fear I will not get away with another impractical 2 seater........!!!!

If I was doing the usual debate - what car can I get within the budget thats on the company list and won't cost too much tax - it would be just sooooo much simpler.....

All this choice just makes things so difficult......!!

Jag X or S type anyone....????? They're pretty cheap 2nd hand.....

:t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

Oh yes, hello Westy!! Long time no hear!! Mmmm XK8......nice, but a bit lardy......Got an S plate convertible to sell if anyone's interested..... :oops:  :D  :D

But I fear I will not get away with another impractical 2 seater........!!!!

pah!  its your car you buy it!

i drive an mx5 during the week to my hairdressing saloon.  at the weekends i drive the westie.

the gf - she drives a k reg fista

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

teach her to earn a pittance ;);):D:D

OiOi

(ps im just of to my local misognists anonymous meeting)

(pps - before the flame starts about the mx5 name another car that meets the following criteria - reliable, cheap to run and insure, convertible, fun(ish) to drive, under 5k)

(pps - before the flame starts about the mx5 name another car that meets the following criteria - reliable, cheap to run and insure, convertible, fun(ish) to drive, under 5k)

A westfield?

For my 20k for local driving if you're not paying the running costs then the old M5 or porka gets my vote.

You're right, there's too much choice