France - where to go

Howsafe Workwear and Safety Equipment

Hi all 

Just thinking about a plan for this years road trip 

We are considering Circuit Des Remparts (will be my 4th visit).

We have a few days to tour afterwards and was wondering where to go? Preferably on way back up rather than further away.

Any good museums (motoring or war) or military places - or any particularly pretty places to stay ?

We will have an overnighter in st Malo before getting back on the ferry

Thanks

Clark 

Hi Clark, 

We've visited here twice during our 2017 & 2018 visits to Le Mans- https://www.manoir-automobile.fr/home/

4 Rue de la Cour Neuve, 35550 Lohéac, France

Time your visit well though as they close for lunch, so I'd suggest to visit first thing after lunch or as soon as it opens. Both times it's been rather quiet 

and the F1 grid full of French cars is just epic!

image.png.4d1cfe8a7b0112125eccbe7ad3949f89.png

We've stopped here on both trips too: http://www.hotel-combourg.com/en/

There's lots of great war museums too. Have a look at our trip here: 

A few years back we flew to La Rochelle in our micro lights, remember Ile de Ré and it being near where Fort Boyard is  - also les sables de O’lonne, mont st michel, arramanche all worth a look. 

3 minutes ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

A few years back we flew to La Rochelle in our micro lights, remember Ile de Ré and it being near where Fort Boyard is  - also les sables de O’lonne, mont st michel, arramanche all worth a look. 

Ask @Greenstreak-Andy D about our brief trip to visit Mont St. Michel in 2018. He's not shut up about it since...............or is that me 😉

It's gone rather industrial on the parking scale and you can't get anywhere close in your car anymore. You have to park up and take coaches to visit now.

• Haha 1

Some great ideas there thank you 

just clarify we will be going on the Portsmouth to St Malo ferry so opposite side to the Chunnel 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO said:

Ask @Greenstreak-Andy D about our brief trip to visit Mont St. Michel in 2018. He's not shut up about it since...............or is that me 😉

We never went, don’t listen to @Ian Kinder (Bagpuss) - Joint Peak District AO

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pay a visit to Pegasus Bridge and museum just outside Caen. Well worth a visit

1 hour ago, Ian Tolfree (tolf) - WSCC AO Rep said:

Pay a visit to Pegasus Bridge and museum just outside Caen. Well worth a visit

Oh yes, definitely worth a stop for a photo. Omah beach fantastic too. 
Andy

• Like 1

fantastic guys - thank you 😎

My list of to do's is getting bigger

• 2 months later...

@Howsafe Workwear and Safety Equipment

I've been wanting to do the circuit des ramparts  for a few years now but I. Really struggling to find any useful information. Is there plenty of camping there or is it hotels. Do you need to book up early? 

Last year at the Silverstone classic I was talking to a group of marshalls at the pub on the camp site, one of them was French and he'd never heard of it. Any information would be appreciated 

Thanks Martin 

The whole Normandy coast along route do liberty has loads. Definitely American cemetery at Omaha.  There is also the bayeau tapestry near the British cemetery. 

loheac car museum has a good kart track and at weekends often has some experience driving type events where you pay to drive difeerent cars on their track if you fancy. St michael worth a visit but needs atleast half a day to do justice 

21 hours ago, Martin Rice (Sparkymart) - Cornwall AO said:

@Howsafe Workwear and Safety Equipment

I've been wanting to do the circuit des ramparts  for a few years now but I. Really struggling to find any useful information. Is there plenty of camping there or is it hotels. Do you need to book up early? 

Last year at the Silverstone classic I was talking to a group of marshalls at the pub on the camp site, one of them was French and he'd never heard of it. Any information would be appreciated 

Thanks Martin 

can have a look for you on french website if you want :)

• Thanks 1