XTR4

Bananaman

I thought they both had quite nicely proportioned rears  :love:  :love:

Photos please  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Havn't seen either in the flesh, but think both the 2 & 4 look fantastic in photos   :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

David

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ian Gratton

• david.c

• Bananaman

• hilux

I think the angle is exagerated by the cam cover on these VAG engines.  The have a head drain, breather that is cast into the cover at an angle - but yes - it is leaning forward in the car a little.  I guess this depends on the design of the sump - may be entirely resonable to do so.

Strangely, Caterham didn't have a stand at the show.  I am quite surprised by this as I really wanted to take a look at their inbound front suspension.  

I think another company has done the work for this (hence the system been fitted to a car in Circuit Driver several months ago) but still - would be nice to take a look.  Wonder if someone is going to do something similar for SEi and SEiW chassis ???

Ian, AFAIK the Caterham of which you speak is currently under development for their race championship, though I am sure it will filter down to the road cars at some point.  Good to see some development coming out of them though ('bout 10 years behind Westfield on the ducted nosecone  ;) ).

I think it is developed by Caterham themselves, the car you may have seen some time ago is an alternative developed by a company called Freestyle.

Dave

Strangely, Caterham didn't have a stand at the show.  I am quite surprised by this as I really wanted to take a look at their inbound front suspension

Yes they did, with passenger rides around the hall!!  It was in the karting hall (12?).  Had the usual range of cars, nothing new of course, they're still working on the W******d copy....

The karting hall?

Oh how stupid of me not to look there... ???

Freestyle Motorsports are the other company making inboard for caterham, supposed to be good kit.

Wonder if someone is going to do something similar for SEi and SEiW chassis

Some-one in Oz (I think) has "done" inboard suspension on a Westfield. GeeFin posted the pictures a while back, and I'm sure he still has them. I think I saved them to my hard drive too......somewhere.......

I thought they both had quite nicely proportioned rears  :love:  :love:

Photos please  :devil:  :devil:  :devil:

Havn't seen either in the flesh, but think both the 2 & 4 look fantastic in photos   :t-up:  :t-up:  :t-up:

David

David,

I think you had to have been there to appreciate Karl's comment  :devil:  :D

I've got a photo, which I'll attempt to post later, but it doesn't show their asses  :D  :D  :D

David,

I think you had to have been there to appreciate Karl's comment  :devil:  :D

I assumed he was refering to some........ahem.........female sales personel   :D  :D

David

As promised - XTR4 pictures.

Sorry for the delay - its just today has been a hard day for me - my grandmothers funeral - please spare a thought as she died unexpectedly on new years day  :(

new rump and widened rear wheel arches

1.jpg

full frontal - and interestingly the bodyshell is now provided in gell-coated form

2.jpg

3.jpg

more changes to the cockpit - the dash is now mounted slightly further forward and sides lower than the original XTR2

4.jpg

The new bodyshell offers a removable rear section to ease maintenance and also hides the practically bomb proof VAG lump and transaxle

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

And for those of you whose wallets are slightly deeper - the mightly Porka GT

pgt.jpg

And for those of you with a death wish - we know how potent the Suzuki 1300 is when bolted to an XTR2 - can you imagine what a GSX1000 motor can do to a smart car [:0][:0][:0]

smart1.jpg

smart2.jpg

The pictures are here now.

There was a router that needed a kick - and my foot won't reach the office from Milton Keynes ;)

Nice pics. Not sure about the hump, but I quite like the look of the installation. With much of the mass of the engine and gearbox being well forward of the rear axle line, I reckon the nay sayers who say it won't handle 'cos of the "extra" weight are going to be eating humble pie.........

Looks like a decent package to me.......

I think the hump is a little heavy, could've been made to look a little better by runnnig it all the way down to the back and with vents as someone else said.

I also would have changed the rear lights and rear treatment a little - not the cars best feature.

But the way the spoiler mounted was loads better, the rear arches gave it a bit of shape, the rollbar cover looks a hell of a lot better too.

Overall, I think it looks a good evolution of the XTR2.

Seems to go fairly well too - Circuit Driver got it 2 secs quicker round the autodrome than an XTR2, so they must be doing something right.......

But who scribbled X's over the bonnet with a marker pen   ???  ???

And for those of you with a death wish - we know how potent the Suzuki 1300 is when bolted to an XTR2 - can you imagine what a GSX1000 motor can do to a smart car

What about putting one of thoughs Bike V8's (2xR1 engines bolted together 320bhp) in the Smart. :devil:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :oops:  :D