North East Area Highland Fling 2020

Kingster

We’re in the process of organising our annual “tour” and looking to see who’s interested in joining in. 

Very much at the planning stage right now but to make this as “do-able” as possible we plan to go Thursday to Monday so that it’s more of an extended weekend rather than “you want a whole week away with your mates”  but you still get 5 full days blatting 😁

At the moment, dates are flexible and will be decided depending on what suits the most folk who wish to come. 

Possible Thursday dates are June 4th 11th and July 16th 23rd 30th. If you’re interested please post on here within the next couple of days stating if there’s any dates for you within the above list of possibles.

The format will be similar to other recent short tours: initial booking of premier inns / travel lodges as far as possible in advance with full cancellation refund option right up to 1pm on the day. This means you can express initial interest even if you’re possibly not going to be able to make it . 

Once we have an initial list of interested parties and specific dates we can look into costs etc.

Currently 7 are signed up for any of the above date options 3 Westfields, 2 Dax, 1x Caterham and a BMW soft-top! We’re an inclusive bunch up here and all are welcome 😁

I reckon we’ll also get a Fury, a Luego and at least one more Westy @KennyP so should be fun!

This was last year’s route - this time we intend to head further north up to Ullapool and beyond as we have an extra day in the mix. 

A9323F39-D8A0-43F6-ACD1-0BC7CC5CAC71.png

• Like 1

Sounds interesting 😁 I'm in the Scottish Borders and could (currently) do any of the July dates 👍

Cheers,

Brian

I will be up for this and go for two years on the trot seeing as I got a wee drive with you guys last year!

Will be on family hols for the July dates but would join up for a few days if it was June.

Love a run up the West coast.22744510-E883-4F28-BD04-E85F3B51892F.thumb.jpeg.f4db89977731f8bf0c8d1f6d098a700a.jpeg

Good excuse to dig out some photos 😁

FFEE21CF-1BD0-47A7-9AB2-5DFB462599CF.jpeg

E657A0BE-092E-4DCD-8823-563EB5E10D2E.jpeg

DD0A5742-9DF8-45C8-A294-73EA4050C5F3.jpeg

E21F4F0E-9D6F-4A9D-B3D6-8081952B1405.jpeg

AA3476DE-D359-4F75-B0FC-5F1A1021469A.jpeg

110ACE30-489B-4A02-BD83-7474C53065BC.jpeg

Would be good to see you again Gary

Brian, the Borders is our playground - so might see you around regardless 😁

• Like 1

OK so the majority of those who expressed an interest (most off-forum) can do Thursday 16th - Mon 20th July. 

So we now have my mate Paul (who has done dozens of Highland Tours in his Dax) looking into hotels and prices for those dates. 

Will report back when we know more. 

• Like 1

Hi Chris, I've messaged Paul the dates I can do. Only fly in the ointment is that I'm expected at my son's degree graduation ceremony (the date of which is yet to be fixed). Fingers crossed it doesn't clash 🙂 

15 hours ago, H.7 said:

Sounds interesting 😁 I'm in the Scottish Borders and could (currently) do any of the July dates 👍

Cheers,

Brian

Are you joining us Brian?

Looking at booking rooms ASAP so let me know  and I’ll forward the email and WhatsApp group details. 

19-20 going so far!

1 hour ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

Are you joining us Brian?

Looking at booking rooms ASAP so let me know  and I’ll forward the email and WhatsApp group details. 

19-20 going so far!

Hi Chris,

Dates are good at the moment so, yes, I'd like to join you. Thanks.

Cheers,

Brian

If you send me your stopovers I’ll see if we can arrange some form of ambush sorry welcome

im I’m between holidays so probably will nip over / up at the weekend as it’s only an hour ish away for me 😁

1 hour ago, Gary Taylor - Scotland AO said:

If you send me your stopovers I’ll see if we can arrange some form of ambush sorry welcome

im I’m between holidays so probably will nip over / up at the weekend as it’s only an hour ish away for me 😁

We're stopping over at Tyndrum, Dornoch, Thurso and Kinross (in that order).

If anyone decides they want to meet up later and even stop over for any of the nights, then they are welcome to - obviously you'd need to sort out accommodation as we're all booked up now.

Nineteen of us hardy Geordie aeroscreen types** booked up including 13 'sevens' that I know of and 7 of those are Westies.

Should be "interesting" 😁

** if you don't count the odd wuss who will be driving their BMW "M"'s - but we don't care all are welcome...

• Like 1

@Gary Taylor - Scotland AO please let me know of any routes that might suit around those areas - we're always open to ideas, despite having quite a few Highland Tour Veterans amongst us.

Our likely plan from Dornoch will be to head in a westerly direction and then head up and loop back to Thurso via the far North - some stunning roads up there and wouldn't want to miss them.

Any idea if this is a good route?

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 15.13.28.png

A cracking route but don’t put to much faith in the 5 1/2 hrs to do it in it will take longer. 
when you head south from Thurso the A9 is tedious with a lot of traffic so would recommend you get off it when / if your schedule allows

what time do you normally crack off in the morning?

As Dornoch is less than a couple of hours away so may crack off early to meet up then stop over at Durness then back down altnaharra or forsinard road home ont Sunday 

oooo plans.....

I'd agree with Gary, I know the roads up to just after Durness...

Especially with the number of cars you have, that part of route from Invershin to Unapool will be slower and you'll get very spread out if any other traffic.