North East to South West Scotland mini-break

Kingster

First weekend in October we’re planning an overnighter to explore the south west of Scotland - so Moffat, Leadhills, Dumfries & Galloway, Ayr neck of the woods. 

Saturday run over from The Toon then overnight at Kilmarnock and pick a route that gives us a good look at what’s on offer over there and back. 

Looking at  booking cancellable accommodation in case weather suddenly turns horrendous - but we must be due a proper Indian Summer, right?

Let me know if anyone fancies joining in at any point and if any of the Clan McWesty lads have some local knowledge that would be good 👍

Shoulda been here last weekend! - we were all over that! and had the best weather too! If I had any inkling you were keen to do the Mystery Run next year, I'd be loathe to pass on to you the gem roads, lest I spoil the mystery route!

Are you just staying over the one night, Kilmarnock being your furthermost waypoint? Given a a good weather day, I could meet up somewhere along the way.

31 minutes ago, BigSkyBrad said:

Are you just staying over the one night, Kilmarnock being your furthermost waypoint? Given a a good weather day, I could meet up somewhere along the way.

That’s the plan. Kilmarnock is as far as we’d go. Looking to explore the rest.

Shame I was on holiday last weekend for the Mystery Tour as the weather was perfect!

21 hours ago, Chris King - Webmaster and Joint North East AO said:

then overnight at Kilmarnock 👍

Really?! Not sure it would be high on my list of desireable overnighters!!

If you want tips in D&G, just let me know - there is always the SW coastal 300 route, which has some fabulous roads.

https://www.visitsouthwestscotland.com/attractions/southwest-coastal-route/

I may be around that weekend, so, with Brad. may be able to link in.

Dave.

3 hours ago, Davep1 said:

Easily cancellable hotel - top priority in case weather turns out to be horrendous!

3 hours ago, Davep1 said:

Yeah, make sure you have four lock nuts on each wheel.

1 hour ago, BigSkyBrad said:

Yeah, make sure you have four lock nuts on each wheel.

Ah Ok - any other options for accommodation then lads? 

• 5 weeks later...

Not too late to join in with us on this - assuming the weather is not biblical anyway!

Here's the routes we have planned - any pointers for those with local knowledge of Dumfries & Galloway would be welcome for day two as a lot of the planned road will be new to us. @Davep1 @BigSkyBrad

Day one we know pretty well right up to Leadhills.

Screenshot 2019-09-30 at 10.18.02.png

Screenshot 2019-09-30 at 10.27.54.png

When you cross the m74 at Lockerbie just watch out for traffic plods along the a75. Usually in non marked bmws. Dont ask me how I know :rolleyes:

Not that I'm implying your going to be speeding of course ;)

Good plan it's a boring road full of trucks heading for the ferries. The road up through the Galloway forest is nice though (and quiet)

Hi Chris, sadly I wont be able to join you at the weekend, but hope you have a great couple of days'

The roads in D&G are so quiet (Except A75!).

A few pointers:

There is an XBC sprint on at Kames circuit (Muirkirk) on Saturday and Sunday (They also do good bacon butties if you want to stop for a break) http://www.eastayrshirecc.co.uk/sprints  http://www.crossborderspeed.co.uk/wp/2019-events/

The Straiton to Newton Stewart road is very scenic, but quite tight, twisty and narrow in places - allow plenty of time for this stretch, and watch out for timber lorries - they take no prisoners!

Newton Stewart has various shops, pubs, petrol etc, but not the most inviting town in the area.

The Newton Stewart to New Galloway road (Queens way) is great - lots to do and see, plenty of photo opportunities (especially the red deer range viewing hut).

Great little cafe / arty shop (Catstrand) in New Galloway.

The A712 New Galloway to Crocketford is also a good, very twisty quiet A road.

Stay on the bypass round Dumfries, unless you really want to visit the town.

The A709 Dumfries to Lockerbie is a bit boring, but not many options to avoid.

The Lockerbie to Langholm is a fantastic road - a bit rough in places though.

Will keep fingers crossed for the weather for you, but let me know if you want any other (D&G) info.

Dave.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Dave

Current thinking is to try and avoid A75 as much as possible - so how about this after New Galloway... (and we may head home via Brampton -> Alston, hence the southern dip to Longtown)

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 09.43.40.png

Chris,

The road from St Johns (Clachan Inn is great for food https://www.theclachaninn.co.uk/) to Moniaive is fantastic (I was on it yesterday..) - again, a twisty real drivers road, and very quiet.

2 Great pubs, petrol, and a cafe (Glenwhisk) in Moniaive (the "festival village" - there was an international bluegrass festival there last weekend).

After Moniaive, things get a little sedentary, but your route is probably the best compromise till the roads get more interesting after Lockerbie.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1

@Davep1 - if we need to cut down our driving time for any reason (like weather!) - what's this route like?

Screenshot 2019-10-01 at 10.29.34.png